Agnostic.com

126 10

Is it OK to be racist against white people?

Using the Merriam-Webster definition of racism,

racism
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

You CAN be racist against white people but is it OK?
Is it OK to tell an entire race they need to atone for the actions of their ancestors?
Is it OK to tell an entire race they are racist simply because of their race?
Is it OK to blame an entire race on the actions of 2 people?
Is it OK to purposely tell your kids to not trust an entire race?

Sadly I doubt I'll get many honest answers because it's not PC to you think racism is OK as long as those your racist against are white. But hope springs eternal.

• 13 votes
  • 186 votes
MamaMOB 5 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

126 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is not required to like anyone but everyone deserves to be treated right.

Way to go !! Cashing points like crazy !!!

When you make any kind of prejudice against any race whatsoever, it's a form of racism and no it's not okay. The only way to truly treat racism is to quit giving it power and relevance. When we start to realize that we're all individuals then perhaps race will lose its ground. I think racism is an ancient construct of thought long ago programmed into our minds and we're still on the same global maturity level as our ancestors. We've been focusing too much on national and tribal superiority that our general social connectivity to one another is so far broken that not even those who once had this sense of tribal pride are even to follow their own. They've started to hate what they are just because of a misconception ingrained into their minds, birthed through ignorance and petulance.

The true definition of racism is about privilege not skin color. I like this article from [affinitymagazine.us] , it puts racism into proper perspective. It's lost it's meaning over time.

“Dear White People, Your “Dictionary Definition” of Racism is Wrong

Racism as an ideology originated from European scientists in the 17th Century during the Atlantic slave trade. They invented it in order to differentiate themselves from those with different skin colors and darker features, creating a racial hierarchy that continues to this day. It would simply be incorrect to deny that the history of racism has been (and continues to be) one of white supremacy as the label “white” has always been an indication of superiority.
However, many of us were taught when we were little that racism is simply disliking someone based on the color of their skin. We were taught that it is a two-way street and that it can happen to anyone. We were taught that racism is simply prejudice toward any race.
This is clearly evident in the defense tactic many people use when defending racism.
For many white people, the “definition of racism” offers them a safeguard so that they no longer feel the need to check their privilege. It acts as a last resort when backed into a corner by logic and reason. It is their final safety measure to ensure that they still win the conversation, even though this is not the type of conversation to be won.
It is for those white people that I have listed below some of the many reasons why the “definition of racism” is wrong.
Dictionaries provide a simplistic view of words.
While dictionaries are a great reference for people who have no prior knowledge on a word, concept or idea, they are not the best for conducting and controlling discussion. Racism is such a complex idea that it would be impossible to describe every aspect of it in a basic 101 way. Dictionaries should instead be used as a starting point for learning, leading to more thorough research and investigation, rather than being a final and definitive argument as to why white people can experience racism.
Dictionaries are written and edited by white men.
The majority of writers for popular and academic dictionaries have been white men. In the western world, as there are systems in place which privilege white people, it is not surprising to see that the definition of racism put forward by white men is inaccurate. They are socialized to believe that the racism people of color experience is in any way comparable to the “racism” white people experience (i.e. being called out for perpetrating and upholding white supremacy). There is simply no credibility in white people defining racism.
Racism is systemic.
If we look at the word, ‘racism’, we see that it is made up of ‘race’ and the suffix ‘-ism’. This suffix is used to denote a system which, at least in the western world, is a system of white supremacy.
This clearly differentiates racism from prejudice. Anyone can be prejudiced toward anyone else, regardless of their race. People of color can certainly be prejudiced toward white people. However it is not racism because there is no larger system in place which oppresses white people.
These are just some of the reasons why the “dictionary definition of racism” is invalid. If you or someone you know ever feels the need to screenshot the “definition of racism” and use it in an argument, just remember that the definition of ketchup says that it is spicy.”

This article is wrong. There is no 'history year zero' in racism, it has existed in many forms since the dawn of time, when one clade of monkeys was in competition with another in a neighboring tree.. Racism is a base animal instinct and informs nationalism, patriotism, team supporting in football and all other forms of flag-waving. It is the grunt of the soldier and the cry of the oppressed. To combat racism and other forms of group-think requires rational thought and education.

@chazwin Where did you get this belief?

@Wildflower It's called REASON. I believe nothing. But it is informed by my studies in history and anthropology and archaeology.

I would couple the privileged perspective along with a more important angle...power.

There is but one race, the human race.

Are there races in the animal kingdom?

Any form of racism is abhorrent.

Couldn't lodge a vote because there is no such thing as race. There are no such things as white people. Even albinos aren't white. Pale, yes. White, no. We are a species with variants. So, if one variant holds another variant in contempt, a word is needed to describe that. Race is not the word because there is no race. It appears that the problem the 'hater' has with another variant is an internal psychological malfunction so I suppose it would boil down to being a mental illness directed toward a human variant. My head hurts. You figure it out.

@zarathustra13 -- Merely stating a fact and pointing out that the perception of race and tribal thinking allows the idea of racism to continue. Complex issue, even though the underlying concept is simple.

@zarathustra13 -- Aha! From the wording in the original post, your intent was not particularly clear to me. This last comment made it obvious, and my answer would certainly be, no.

Racism should be discouraged towards all directions.

No one is born a racist, it is learned behavior. If you accept teachings without question, then you are a fool.

And so sadly...I am. I'm half white too, which makes me a race traitor in many ways. I have yet to 'grow out' of this. More therapy maybe?

I am not a racist I hate everybody equally

Me too!

All racism is wrong. Racism against white people is merely rare.

Racism is a nonstarter. It is the means of last resort to justify something that is shitty in the first place.

These questions are more loaded than the new Taco Bell loaded burrito. And I especially liked the part of if people disagree with her they are just not being honest... The discussion goes much deeper than these shallow questions

No, it is never ok to be racist against anybody.

??‍♀️ I don’t even know where to begin...

Essie Level 6 Feb 17, 2019

Me either. Truly, I just can not pick a place to start.

Everyone is the same color when there is a blackout

Are adults really debating this?

Until we treat all humans as humans and not as black, white, jew, or arab, we shall remain racist. ANy organisation of any kind that promotes to growth for, or offers benefits to, one group and denies them to others can only succeed in prepetuating racism.

Many of the claims of racism are true. Long standing policies or behaviors that were racist were left unchallenged because the balance of power made it dangerous to individusls to speak up.

In the present environment, the balance of power has shifted due to demographics. It is now a safer environment to protest and call out racism where it exists. The dominant society hates to be called on its improper behavior, especially if they had been able to get away with it for decades with impunity. Accountability is always an uncomfortable thing. So, "everything is labeled racism today", may be true, but it just might that they always were and still remain do.

Caveat, false accusations will occur just because the law of probabilities suggest they should. Don't be seduced by these occurances. They are exceptions in the greater trend. Exceptions do not make the rule, they are just that, only exceptions.

It's okay dislike a culture, it's okay dislike a religion, and it's okay dislike a nation, but it is not okay dislike anybody as a individual on the basis of any of those things alone.

If you're judging someone by anything other than the essence of what they present to, and share with you, you are doing it wrong.

Goodness, like beauty, doesn't come in colors, sizes, weights, ages, races or any other factor that doesn't represent the spirit and soul of a being.

Furthermore, we are who we are. Not who our ancestors were. Not who our family is. History does not define us. Even our own personal histories are only markers and flags because we are all capable of real and meaningful change and who we were is often just as much a reflection of where we were and what we were dealing with at the time, as it is of our true nature.
I prefer to take people exactly as they are, in whatever place they are at the time, and not as a representative of anything other than the self.

Judge any person on their actions, not the color of their skin, where the came from or any other factor.

The colour of their skin is a good indication for people action though. Very useful if you lack the time to personally know everyone in details and for a long enough span of time.

please explain how?

I don’t know how to be racist toward only a portion of a race

This is lacking in diversity training. Some minorities are just as racist and hateful against white people as they claim white people are to them. To be perfectly honest, it's one of the reasons why I don't date outside my race/ethnicity.

So you have decided that because a minority group member MIGHT be racist, that you will write off an entire ethnic group? That's as racist as the racism you are offended by.

@citronella I've only dated about three Hispanic men. had the same problems with all of them. Now it's just a personal thing, after a few bad experiences with them I'm just not interested in dating them anymore. If they're not racist their mother, father, family or their friends probably are. it's just too many problems/ risky for me. If an African American man said that it was too complicated to date a white woman and that he prefers to date black people I would not call that racist.

@Kojaksmom finally someone who can see the naked king!

@Kojaksmom -- And I've only married one Hispanic woman and have never regretted it. I suggest that a bit of objective introspection is in order.

@evidentialist it is different for women.

@Kojaksmom -- Not really, though there is that possibility, particularly for those who have been raised in the US. I lived in Mexico for several years and have traveled extensively in Central and South America. There is a thing called 'machismo' that does set a tone generally in relationships between men and women, but it varies greatly in different locales, even in any given country. I can see this as a definite negative in relationships for American born and raised women. It is also a part of Latino culture that is thankfully dying pretty fast in most areas. However, understand that this is a cultural issue and has nothing to do with that nonexistent race idea.

My wife is fully capable in the self sufficiency department, independent, intelligent, strong, opinionated, and certainly not the stereotypical Mexican woman from her generation. She likes to joke about finding a tolerant gringo who was able to accept her as she was, otherwise she would have flown solo.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70457
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.