Agnostic.com

12 17

I will not be defeated by a new computer with unlabeled icons!

I can't even ask a question on HP support. I don't know their language.

My new HP Pavilion laptop computer arrived yesterday. During setup, I batted away (refused) all games, online sports betting, and other stupid websites. Not a good start.

What are the little symbols called? Symbols, icons, tiles, badges, emblems or what?

It's like being lost in an impenetrable foggy forest with no paths, signs, compass nor map. Last night I felt defeated, anxious and ashamed.

This morning I rose like a phoenix with determination and good cheer. I will not be defeated by a stupid computer that thwarts me with unlabeled symbols!

Hire a tutor to teach me tech speak? Find someone to walk me through the steps?

UPDATE- Next Monday I will bring both HP computers (new and old) and external backup to wonderful Axeon Technologies in Wenatchee. At my request, Tim will turn off the touch screen ("It's difficult but we can do it" ) and download pictures, documents, Word, Excel, etc. from my external backup. "I won't put everything in one folder, a common mistake," he said.

HP customer support is deplorable, he agreed.

Afterward Tim will teach me what the unlabeled icons mean ("You will need to take notes" ) and how to navigate the new computer. "Did you download Microsoft Word and Excel from a disc or online?" Tim asked. I updated it online.

"After a week you will have more questions," Tim said. "Make a list. Come in with your new computer and I will answer your questions."

Money well spent. This morning the high school college mentor coordinator laughed, "I'm right there with you, girlfriend!" Suddenly I don't feel like such a Luddite.

LiterateHiker 9 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hurray for Tim.

You did the right thing by returning the beast. I think that IT people sit around all night trying to figure out how t screw with us.

@silverotter11, @Mitch07102, @Fernapple, @Julie808, @WayneDalton, @FrostyJim, @Flyingsaucesir, @BOBdammit, @Robert_2001, @BufftonBeotch, @NoMagicCookie, @HippieChick58, @RichCC, @ADKSparky, @DenoPenno, @Jlynn37, @anglophone, @HankSherman, @yvilletom, @Gwendolyn2018

I decided I don't want to pay to learn to use this aggravating, unclear computer.

This morning I called Costo concierge service. A kind, wonderful woman answered. She called HP and got instructions to reset (wipe) the computer, deleting my information and account.

She set up the return with 100% of what I paid ($722.84) to be refunded on my debit card. Then she emailed me a prepaid UPS label.

I reset the computer. Packed it up. Went to UPS and shipped it for free.

Goodbye, Hewlett Packard. You lost my business.

It does seem all the computer software folks enjoy making things as complicated as possible. I realize I have a learning curve when it comes to computers but I'm with you - it should not be be that friggin' difficult.

You might try a reputable store in your are that sells used computers.. I bought one this way once ad it worked for 10 years til the main board went bad. My 2 current HP models are refurbs going on 10 years now. Blaotware has been removed from a refurb. Good luck.

Thanks for the news. Much appreciated.

@silverotter11 The problem is of course, in part, that they think they can impress by offering more and new features, and that is all too easy to do, since writing new software costs virtually nothing.

Seems like you are on the right track. I say this but I'm a pirate. I became one when I bought a new Gateway computer and Microsoft bought Gateway but would not support me. No support sucks, so I went to You Tube and other places. Got programs to kill Cortana and other stupid things on a PC and stop Windows itself from controlling my operating system completely every 180 days. At the time I worked for a company that had an awesome computer guru and one boss I had gave me lessons on PC at my home. Put this all together and now I can install operating systems, update systems, and refurb and old computer, etc. HP is my system of choice however, and I have 2 HP's and 1 Acer Aspire.

None of that may be your thing and you might like support and Cortana. With that said, Tim may be your way of learning how to conquer the new laptop. See if he can teach you and also eliminate bloatware.

Have you tried hovering the mouse over the icons, to see if a pop up text appears ?

@Fernapple

Of course I tried hovering, right clicking, left clicking, ad nauseum on the unlabelled icons. Nothing.

I decided to return this aggravation to Costco tomorrow. They have a 90-day return. Goodbye HP, you lost my business!

Don’t let a few grains of sand intimidate you.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
-- Rudyard Kipling

After years of using a PC, I switched to a Mac about 10 years ago and don't miss all those PC headaches I used to get with all the problems.

My Mac does have some unlabled icons, and most are self explanatory with the image, but a few are same colors as other icons, so I just hover over the icon with my mouse and up comes an explanation.

Learning to use a new computer is like having to learn a whole new language, but hopefully you'll catch on with some patient tutelage by your tech guy.

YouTube is your friend.

Welcome to HP's answer to Ikea!

I cannot get their customer support number in the USA (their web site insists on directing me to Australia), but I would suggest calling them ands keep badgering them until you get to where you need to be with your new fangled device.

And good luck and best wishes to you. ((hugs))

With all sincerity I wish you good luck. I do admire your attitude.

Maybe a community college computer class.
OR: Soon You May Be Able to Text with 2,000 Egyptian Hieroglyphs

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:723683
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.