Agnostic.com

89 16

Do u think Christianity is bad ? What's your opinion on it

Ya know I have a very hard time respected the religion . We as athiest or agnostics know it's bogus . Its a book that basically tells u what to believe is right or wrong and if u don't agree then your wrong and the co sequences are going to hell . The Bible itself is poorly written . One chapter gods this nice loveable person then the next he's growing babies and slaying baby's and cursing them ! So many people hate gays and lesbian people becus of the Bible . Whether I think it's nasty or not doesn't mean its wrong . I also hate the disrespect I get when I tel people I'm athiest. Why can't we think for ourselves ?

DavidDeLa89 6 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

89 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The bible is an immoral document and yes it wrong to hate people because they are gay.
The bible doesnt offer moral it offer what call moral prenouncement.
I often wonder how anyone that isnt this god favor people could follow it since this god seems to hate everyone except his favor or choosen ones.

As history shows, it can be problematic but I see it as a mixed bag. There have always been interesting individuals within the church who have taken the time to record their thoughts formed during a life of contemplation. I am talking about a deeply personal perspective rather than parroting the institutional dogma by rote. I occasionally find philosophical gems within it all. I find it difficult, even pointless to attempt meaningful engagement with extreme dogmatics and fundy's. They tend to shut down conversations because they do not participate with an open mind. When faced with disrespect from others in response to my declared atheism I tell them to deal with it and reflect upon whatever it is of their own condition that led them to such behaviour.

If u have the time, get a hold of Bertrand Russell's 'Why I'm Not a Chtistian.' Fascinating read 🙂

Christianity is the biggest group of hypocrites, liars, and 2 faced people you will ever meet. I'm so glad I saw the light finally. I didn't realize how closed minded I was until about 3 mouths ago. I'm free from the dogma and never going back.

All religions are bad.
They seek to subjugate the human will.
I could elaborate further but you get the main thrust.
Firm Anti-theist here.

My father's mother was Christian and she was the sweetest, most generous, helpful, loving person you can imagine. She took her faith seriously. Now..did she ever question the really AWFUL stuff her bible said? I don't know. But I know that the parts she loved were "good" for HER (and, therefore, the people around her.) I don't think that a THING can every be totally ''bad'' or even ''good.'' It's the uses applied with that thing that have positives or negatives.

It not the religion that made her sweet and nice.
I can't remember who said this but
Good people will be good but it take something like religion to make a good person do evil..

@Rdurham I understand that. I also know that her religion sustained her during times of trouble and guided her when she looked for answers. As much as I dislike theism...I know it exists IN PART because of people like my grandmother.

I think all religion has the potential to cause more harm than good.

All religion is bad.

Yes! Christianity is very VERY bad. The Crusades, The KKK, OLSTEEN, Crefalo Dollar, Catholicism....no redeeming qualities.

I will never become a Christian because of the teaching that salvation is by faith, not actions. It seems that Christians believe that Ghandi and Einstein are in hell, while John Gotti is in heaven. Wherever the souls of Ghandhi and Einstein might be is surely good enough for me.

All religion is bad. I have a particular dislike of Christianity because it was the brand of religion forced upon me. The main theme running through Christianity is the we are worthless, our lives have no value and our work accomplishes nothing without a 'savior'. How anyone can find the teaching of religious values as anything but pure horror, I will never understand.

I suspect more people accept religion into their lives, so far as it impresses others, personally or business wise, but in their own minds know it's a fraud..............

The thing about Christianity as the religion is that it goes against what Emmanuel taught. Not once do we see him set foot in a church nor do we ever hear him speak of the "sins" of anyone EXCEPT the religious leaders. From what I can figure, if the Bible has truth in it then Christianity is the work of the devil because the God of the New Testament had a message of the divine within yourself, of the ability to heal. From what I understand it is the devils work to force people to do what is right or be punished so the good God sent his "son" to tell the people they have free will. All thy need, they already have. Live life and love one another was what I got from the message of the Christ but not from church leaders.
The bible itself tells people not to change a single word, not even a comma and yet it was translated by the churches into English? It says we have free will. There are only 10 commandments not 10 years of college to understand the laws. One should beware of false prophets. How many people know the history of the bible? Who wrote it? When it was written? Who decided what to leave in and what to leave out? In my opinion if a believer does not even know how the book ended up in their hands then they have not right do to profess it to be of divine nature yet many preachers do not even have a clue and cannot answer questions outside of their own training. SImple questions like why does the bible say God created "men and women, male and female he created them." before mentioning Adam and Eve?
Yes, Christianity is very bad. It teaches people they have no individual identity outside of Christ/God and almost all genocide has been committed in the name of God. If anything turns people off to the possibility of a divine and loving creator it is Christianity!

All religion is limiting and harmful to the human species. Some Christian sects and denominations and sects are more destructive and dangerous than others -- particularly the evangelical protestant ones

Like every other religious idea, it is both stupid and dogmatic!

The best answer I can give to this question is my free book, The Dawn of Intelligence.

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.
Steven Weinberg
Aplys to them all even the ones we are yet to make up

I love this quote:

Me too. He was a great man. Did you know they put him in the Bastille.

Most people need to be led, we aren't most people.
If someone wants to believe in make believe what's the harm? Radical sects are a different story.

Good Ol Voltaire.. way ahead of his time. Sarcasm and all 🙂

Is it a bad thing to worship a murder, command other to kill gay people?

Christendom is not particularly bad, all religions and stifling doctrines are. The real drama is the usage of religions as instruments of power and oppression. Don't worry about the bible. There are idiots out there who will tell any nonsense some of their cult leaders exfiltrate from the bible as others do from the Koran and yet others from the Financial Times.

So to worship a murder, a torturer, and command it followers, to kill gay people is not a bad thing? What kind of person are you? Where is your moral?

Obviously you don't understand my comment. Try to make comments not personal attacks!

@PontifexMarximus I am not doing any personal attack here. You are the one that doing the shitty things, not me.

People can believe what they want to believe, but, as long as it's not imposed or forced on other people

Suzie Level 1 May 4, 2018

No, When their belief that someone is gay has to put to death is definitely not ok. LEV 20:13

To some evangelical Christians, being an atheist is more threatening to their way of life than being an Islamic terrorist. Surveys indicate atheism is reviled more than any other philosophy. White evangelicals would favor their children marrying someone of another race or religion than marrying an atheist. Your observations about the inconsistencies and contradictions of the new and old testaments are accurate. Educated Criticism of religion is needed to point out its shortcomings and lack of logic. Hard-core religionists will never be persuaded to rethink their beliefs, but now days many religionists are ripe for change to secular humanism.

You're right! I think we threaten them MUCH more than believers in other religions. Our very happy, prosperous, healthy existence is a threat to their dogma and their piety. After all...if we're not struck by lightning or rendered into ashes...maybe they're wrong about their gawd?

In my honest opinion, I think that at this stage of human development, Christinanity and all religions are a blight upon our intellectual integrity.

Athos Level 5 May 4, 2018

They always were.

I think if a person is truly trying to follow the tenets of the New Testament, such as the beatitudes, that person is bound to be a boon to humanity. But honestly, those people are rare. Mostly fear is what is preached and absorbed resulting in hate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:73041
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.