Agnostic.com

7 22

Hiking to Minotaur Lake and Mt. Labyrinth, WA

The original path was a terrible "fisherman's trail." Extremely steep and straight up. The U.S. Forest Service kindly rebuilt the trail, making it wider with switchbacks. You still have to gain the same elevation.

When Karen and I reached Minotaur Lake we met Xuilan, a Chinese immigrant in her 30s. She works at Microsoft as a software engineer and hikes alone each week. She speaks perfect English. Her boyfriend doesn't like hiking. We invited Xuilan to join us.

We scrambled up through jumbled boulders (talus slope) and stopped on a high ridge. "Where's the summit?" I asked Karen. She pointed up. "Holy shit!" I exclaimed. "How will you get down? I'm staying right here on this ridge. I'll pick up the pieces if you fall."

They left their packs with me. With rock climbing, packs pull you backwards and throw off your balance. So I relaxed and took photos with the Sony digital camera I always carry.

1. Minotaur Lake, 6,000' elevation.

2. Cascade Mountains and Minotaur Lake. To the left is a straight drop down to Theseus Lake. It didn't tempt me.

3. Karen and Xuilan on the summit of Mt. Labyrinth, 6,366' elevation.

June 8, 2016

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@Betty, @Unity, @CuddyCruiser, @silverotter11, @Switchcraft, @Ryo1, @Jolanta, @Garban, @Julie808, @Paddypereira, @davknight, @Moravian, @Flyingsaucesir, @richiegtt, @Paganpaddy, @Andy4608, @Organist1, @HippieChick58

A comical fall

Descending a steep trail, there was a thick root sticking straight up in the middle of the trail. I had my eye on it. Without pausing, I mentally calculated how high to raise my rear boot to clear the root. I did not think about the steep decline.

The toe of my rear boot caught the root. I tripped and went ass over teakettle. Instinctively threw my body away from the steep dropoff. Tore off my thumbnail. Landed on my back in the bushes beside the trail. Branches closed over me. I was stuck like a turtle on it's back.

"Are you all right?" Karen called, running to help me. Tiny voice: no. I started to laugh. Karen brilliantly took charge.

"First release your pack straps," she said. "Hand me your sunglasses." She set them down in a safe place. "Now hand me your camera." Done. "Can you wiggle your arms out of the shoulder straps?" Yes. After Karen helped me up, she pulled up my pack. She doctored my thumb.

That's the only time I longed for a chainsaw.

Shit that totally sucks. What matters most is that you’re OK.

You always have great pics!!

@CuddyCruiser

Thank you! I credit the camera: Sony DSC-HXI Cybershot with 20x optical zoom and motion control. I take dozens of pictures and choose the best. Smartphones aren't as good at landscapes.

My artist ex-husband Terry says I'm improving as a photographer.

"I have been simplifying the photo compositions," I told him. "I'm doing the same thing by simplifying my paintings," he replied.

Also I clear away backpacks and clutter, even in photos of me.

Wow! What a view. I hope getting back down was easier than going up. Beautiful pictures and a wonderful memory. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Oct 7, 2023

@Betty

Thank you!

Descents are faster and more dangerous. Hikers and climbers expend most of their energy climbing. One the way down, people are tired, relax and tend to trip on roots and rocks, on slippery wet leaves. Most falls and injuries occur during the descent.

I learned to stop my feet before looking up to admire the view.

I used to love hiking in the North Cascades when I lived in Western Washington. Not sure I ever hiked anywhere quite so daring as some of your hikes, but I remember the beauty and the color of the lakes!

Last time I went hiking in Washington state was in 2013 with a hiking meetup group, since I was visiting for an extended period of time. Met lots of nice people on the hikes!

I missed seeing the photos you posted from your hikes when I couldn't access here. Minotaur? Me likes it.

Thank you.

Agnostic.com was down for months. I repeatedly couldn't access it and gave up.

Finally tried it again and the website loaded. Yippee!

Love the names out if Greek mythology! 😂

Absolutely beautiful!!

ditto

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:733148
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.