Agnostic.com

38 3

Are you a good tipper?

Do you generally tip 15% or more?

• 86 votes
  • 10 votes
KKGator 9 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I almost always avoid reading comments on the Internet. This site is usually safe for that, though. Atheists tend to be thinking, logical beings. That also usually means they are caring and compassionate, at least in my experience. So I was a bit shocked at some of the comments by one American in particular in this topic. Oh, and I'm American, too. I make that distinction because most other countries treat their citizens better than we do, especially their non-billionaire citizens.

To receive a service and not happily and graciously leave a tip in this country, and to justify it by saying you will not be held responsible for the well-being of underpaid servants because it should be the job of the business owner to take care of his/her employees, well that is simply selfish, uncaring, irresponsible, ignorant, and shows just what kind of an entitled prick you really are.

If you can't, or won't, leave a tip, stay home, make your own meal, serve your meal, clean up after your meal, and spare the good and caring people in the restaurant industry from your cheap assholery.

Nicely stated. Thank you.

Hear, hear!

I voted no but to be fair tipping isn't part of my culture. Occassionally I might say 'keep the change'; but I expect people to be paid award wages, that unions fought for.

I like this culture.

I think Americans are surprised that they're not really supposed to tip in some countries.

Yeah same in UK. We fought for people to have a reasonable standard of living and a sensible minimum wage so not really an issue

My standard tip is 20%. I will lower that for sub standard service. And although it hasn't happened often, I will stiff on a tip for rude servers, or non existent service

Most definitely... specially if it's a place I go back on regular basis. It does pay off to be nice, no doubt.

@oldnslow it really works !!!

I've worked most of my life as a delivery driver, so I know the importance of tipping. I give as generously as I can afford, or I don't order in the first place. I wish we had an economy where people didn't have to rely on generosity to make ends meet, but until that changes, please tip generously.

I have waited tables and I know the difference between what is the server's fault and what is the kitchen's fault. It's at least 20% for me as long as I receive standard good service, 25% if exceptional. Tip my hairdresser, Uber/Cab driver, and all other people who work in jobs with customary tipping the same. $1 for making me a single coffee drink at Starbucks/similar coffee bars if it comes out on time and made correctly which is considerably more than $20 but I know they have to split that tip bucket between at least two people involved in making that drink.

I believe in tipping well. I am not a wealthy person so I know what it means to people in those jobs who depend on tips. If I cannot afford to tip I do not go in and ask to be served.

I can’t believe how cheap some of you people are. 20% is the going rate now for tipping waiting staff. You can go down a little if the service is subpar. It would here to be extremely horrible to justify no tip at all. If you don’t plan on tipping at least 15% you shouldn’t be even going out to eat.

Note this pertains to the US only.

I only used 15% because it has historically been the base rate.

@KKGator 15% is what people use to normally tip. Most tip 20% now for good service. But 15% is still acceptable not everyone has gone to 20%. I don’t believe anyone would fault you for 15%.

I once went back to a restaurant a month later with $10 for our server because my friend--who had paid for our meal--had behaved in a rude, entitled fashion and left an insultingly shitty tip. I'm never eating out with her again. She's terrible to service industry workers.

How a person treats waiters/waitresses, taxi drivers, etc is a good clue to their character.

20% minimum or no tip at all, and you really have mess up to get no tip.

I like to think I am? Being dyscalculic I have to use a tip calculating app and I just leave it at 20 percent every time. ?

If you plan on being a regular, always tip extremely well and the generosity comes back to you.

smox Level 4 May 5, 2018

Depends what is being tipped cows seem to be too heavy and can tip my hat for a pretty lady. Tipping the cradle I might be a dirty man most of the dirt I have comes from some adventures endeavor.

Yes. Minimum 20%, usually higher.
I've tipped 100% if the staff was on top of their game.
I do not agree with the tipping system - people should be paid a living wage - but it's the game, so I play it.
And when I walk in next time I get great treatment and food.

I start at 20% and go higher on certain occasions, for example Valentines Day. I eat out alone and the servers always look miserable so I usually just double the check. Maybe that makes working that day bearable. (I'm aware how privileged I am to be able to do this!)

I voted no because I'm British and we don't tip people except waiters and taxi drivers.

I think the Japanese have it right - tipping is unheard of.

I suppose tipping is a cultural thing although both in Britain and Spain I have seen a tip automatically added to the bill.

I worked in the service industry for close to 10 years until I escaped. Always tip those who can screw with you ?

I start at 20% then raise or lower based on service. I never tip less than 10% and generally average round 25% but have gone as high as 50% when I have a coupon for something free. I usually will give the server the money I saved by receiving free food.

I wish they would just pay the server a fair wage rather than lumping the responsibility onto the customer,

I always tip well because I have a job that's time consuming and tips are few and small. I drive for Uber and Lyft and while some people tip and a few tip well I very often give short rides to people who spend more on their dinner than I make in 14 hours driving. I make $3 to $5 on those short runs and it takes 20 minutes or more altogether so in an hour I make maybe $10. Figure in my overhead and I make less than minimum wage. Two or three bucks tips helps but I almost never get it.

I get virtually all my tips from people who make low wages and far fewer from wealthy people. Last night the only tip I got was $4 from a bar waitress who told me she was not even getting by. Then there's the guy who bragged about buying two $500 tickets to see the NFL DRAFT and tipped nothing.

I love my job and carry lots of good people but I wish more of them understood the service we drivers provide and gave a tip to show they do. We are cheap, reliable, and available and we have to cover all our own expenses, wear on our car, and gas.

Anyway, just a little rant. ???

@Stacey48 For me I prefer cash. Either way is nice but I use cash to for my lunch without having to use my bank card.

Always over 20%

Coldo Level 8 May 5, 2018

I'm a standard "ten percenter" in restaurants - unless the food/service is substandard.

Athos Level 5 May 5, 2018

Likewise. 10% seems to be the going rate for most of Europe. But then our serving staff get paid a more reasonable base wage, and aren't expected to survive primarily on tips.

I've noticed one or two places including a service charge on the bill. If that's the case, I don't tip anything in addition to that.

Over tipper

I wish it was banned I hate it as much as dickering, but when I do I tend to round to 20%.

I hate it.
I'm spoiled from living in Thailand, where there is no tipping, and plan to never eat at a US restaurant again, unless its a serve-yourself buffet like the food bar at Whole Foods.

No... I tip 15%. That's it.

It of course depends on the quality of the service. If it is really bad, as in I didn't feel welcome or felt forgotten, 5%. I feel bad for doing this, but as a paying customer I should never feel unwelcome or forgotten. I usually tip 20%.

Gohan Level 7 May 5, 2018

I don't feel obligated to tip. If they want more money, talk to the boss.

Having said that, I will usually tip 20% if I feel like tipping.

I was a waitress for 5 years, and I never expected a tip, but I was grateful when I received one.

marga Level 7 May 5, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:73933
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.