Agnostic.com

152 12

What is the bible to you?

Being raised Catholic the bible is to them the word of god, right? To me the bible is a book just like Harry Potter is. Who is to say that 2000 yrs from Harry Potter is the new bible.
My question is, what is the bible to you?

CeciRosane60 7 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

152 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

An ancient book of myth that codified two separate philosophies and dogma that tries to project a single religion but are mutually incompatible.

The Bible is a collection of 66 books, written by men, thousands of years ago, who were not even there!

Stories built with no foundation eventually it will fall as all other religions have that are now know as mythology.

A work of fiction

lerlo Level 8 July 28, 2019

The bible to me is the same as Greek or Roman mythology...

A collection of bronze age stories that show how primitive man used to be.

Fiction

The thing that holds up the rickety coffee table.

A collection of stories to answer questions of a sheep hearding society. A collection that is taken way too seriously today.

Truth is what the facts are. The Bible was written by ignorant, bronze age, savages who thought the world was flat.All fable's have to start somewhere and somehow.Thats as close to the truth you'll get from the Bible.If you use the Bible as a moral guide, you'd be a criminal on ever continent on the planet.It promotes murder, slavery,incest, genocide, animal cruelty,spousal abuse, abuse, abortion,pillage, cannibalism. I could go on forever why it's a book I should avoid.

Well, it is a collection of writings that can be read as one meta-narrative, interpreted through the lens of the teaching associated with Christ Jesus. I did believe it to be inerrant and infallible, but I now seriously doubt that. However, some of the intellectual assaults can easily be refuted, like the supposed contradictions. I know the original language of the NT and so arguments about translational differences are not convincing.
For me, the real criticism comes with the extremely complex way one has to read the OT to arrive at the meta narrative as all pointing to Jesus. There are also very serious questions to be asked about the morality of the OT torah. Mass exterminations of whole races is not something that can be explained away as a foretaste of hell.
The body of teaching associated with the apostles is so detailed that it seems to fly in the face of a more humane approach the gospel accounts offer. However, if the letters of the NT are problematic, then so too the gospel accounts, for they are all written by believers. So how does one know what is to be believed and what is not? If the gospels and letters are seen as truth, then the result is set of morals that seem cruel and unwise at times.
So you can see my doubts about my earlier convictions.

I'm currently reading it. Often we hear it called the Big Book of Multiple choice, as confirmation bias will let you take whatever you want from it. But I've been thinking lately that it really wasn't MEANT to be read as such. The book is literally the length of a bible. Over most of the years of the bible's existence, most of the believers couldn't read. And during many of those years, the bible was only in Latin--a language that most believers didn't SPEAK, much less read (most couldn't read in the language they actually spoke anyway). The mystique of a giant, magical book outlining the meaning of the universe (and your relation to that universe) that only a select few could translate to the masses would be breathtaking to an illiterate, ignorant person. The sheer literary and political GALL to pull off that kind of psychological showmanship is very impressive. The masses will project whatever fears, hopes, dreams, or hatreds they have onto that book and through that book into the world, allowing the keepers of the book (churches, priests, kings, politicians, whoever) to steer the ignorant masses however they wish.

What it is.A book written by ignorant, bronze age savages who thought the Earth was flat.

Rolling papers? Lol

This one helped me feel safe at a really sketchy motel.

Carin Level 8 Oct 23, 2018

It's out dated and full contridictions. Just any other fiction out there.

The greatest collection of lies ever put between a cover. A horrible story of bad reasons to be good.

Never give it any thought.

Interestingly enough Catholics hardly ever read the bible. Which is a pity because it sure helps with deconversion.

Their leaders discourage it because they only are supposed to believe the church's interpretations.

Makes for excellent cartridge paper for black powder reloading!

A book I probably wouldn't read if you paid me!

It's a fairtale. It's an interesting bit of anthropology. It's a problem because of how much power it's been given.

A story book of morals and nothing more. Fiction.

I think it should be called the book of manipulation

A anthology of cultural trends and characters compiled in attempt to understand that which the tools to do so were not yet present.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7817
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.