Agnostic.com

32 2

How would you replace religion?

What methods would you use? Defeating their influence over humanity requires providing the same resources without the bloodshed, manipulation, abuse, hypocrisy, and the most pathetic, lack of proof. Replacing it is necessary, because if it leaves an empty spot, it leaves also a chance for something more useless to take the spot. It’s irresponsible to just destroy it just to let a worse plague to take its place.

• 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 14 votes
AgnosticDeist 3 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmmmm. We'll that's kinda like asking me what I'd replace cancer with. So...nothing.

Religion replaces reality. We have no need to replace religion.

Very astute!

Eliminate, don't replace!

Critical thinking and debating taught in schools

Replace with a mandatory secondary education in pure logic.

While I hate religion because it poisons everything it touches, I am not on a mission to "replace" it with anything. I just want it to die a rapid death.

I don't understand why I would want to replace religion with anything, would I replace heroin with crystal meth? I can see that getting rid of religion completely would be a good thing, destroy all signs of it ever having existed would be good and in a few generations people would be free of that oppressive institution, get rid of monarchies as well while we're at it and any other outdated, backward and repressive groups.

You would need to replace it, because true or not it serves a function, which other things can give without being false.

You got it right, many of those wanting something to replace with find... science, and here they are!

@x0lineage0x Or maybe we could all just grow up and stop being children believing in ridiculous fairy tales?

@Surfpirate
"which other things can give without being false"
Wheres the fairy tale in this?

@x0lineage0x I fail to see what purpose religion serves that would need to be replaced. Any of the positive aspects of religion such as charity or community already exist outside of the confines of religion; only the negative aspects of religion such as blind faith are intrinsic to religion and don't need replacing.

I don't understand why you feel the need to replace religion.

You don't.

Facts and scientific evidence can fight skeptics.

What??? Please explain your statement.

Provide something to fill the void in people's lives. No idea what as it would probably vary by individual. Absolutely not by legislation.

replacing it is NOT necessary. It forces people to accept reality. What would you replace a little kid's imaginary friend with?

lerlo Level 8 May 17, 2018

exactly my thoughts- horses for courses!

Can you replace the most dangerous drug of all.

The same way I would replace unicorns and fairies, I wouldn't.

I wouldnt I have no need of religion, but others do and I am not anyones keeper - people can believe the moon is made of blue cheese if they want its their mind to do with as they want .

How can a person "replace" something they don't have, need, or want? I've never been religious, so it's nothing I ever had. If you mean replace it for other people, that's not my place or business.

Bravo!!

I wouldn’t replace religion. Religion is a way for people to feel comfortable about their afterlife. And I’m in no position to tell people what they should or shouldn’t believe.

A lot of religions get a bad-rep because of fringe believers. These individuals should be treated as they deserve. As long as they aren’t trespassing on my beliefs, I don’t care what they believe in. Stereotypes unfortunately exist because the groups that the stereotype are often the loudest.

But if I could change something about religion, I would make every single one of them preach to keep their beliefs to themselves and let others believe what they want to without any input from others.

I don't think there is an absolute answer. It may just have to run its course and slowly die out like so many others before.

I picked the first one but I think it is better at achieving the goal of deconstructing/undermining/reforming the sociological/psychological structures that make up religion rather than replacing it.

Then we need something to help fill the apparent naturaly occurring void in all of us that inspires the recurring formation of religion in societies throughout history. I think people find religion compelling because it is joining a club that provides a sense of belonging, identity and purpose. How do we construct a club based on secular humanist values that is cohesive, compelling/inspiring and incorruptible?

Why would anyone want to do that.

Because it's false.

No doubt. I meant why, once it is gone, would one want to replace it.?

Social clubs. Ping pong, shuffleboard....

Why replace it. There are always going to be people who invent diety. Outlawing it would increase its appeal. Also, who wants to be the thought police? All that people can do is keep it out of government, and keep it from intruding in people's lives when it isn't welcome.

Why replace it. There are always going to be people who invent diety. Outlawing it would increase its appeal. Also, who wants to be the thought police? All that people can do is keep it out of government, and keep it from intruding in people's lives when it isn't welcome.

laugh it to death

Tejas Level 8 May 14, 2018

I don’t have a need to replace religion or any world view. I much more interested in a dialog with many world views. To have an opportunity to influence and to be influenced.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80515
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.