Agnostic.com

46 7

What happens when we die?

Standard atheist answer = you die. remember how mad you were about not being born yet? exactly. it's not like you're going to be sitting around bummed out.

answer I believe - body dies. consciousness moves on unfiltered.

any other takes?

JeffMesser 8 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We die. Our bodies decompose. And, then, we become stardust, as before.

Here's what i think, we are born of star's that have exploded, and then gravity brings it all together to make another type of star and planets (how our solor system was created), and when we die, we return to the earth as we rott, then some day our sun will explode and it will start all over again. so when you die, you will be reborn, but you your self is dead and its over. you will not even remember nor realize you are dead.

But not reborn as what you were, surely?

of course not, when the electrical impulses stop, the cell's in the brain die and decay away. once that happens the information stored in the cells of the brain are gone and destroyed. so nothing survives except for the stardust that we are made from.

I guess we finally get to understand the point of it all... Or not!

OOOOOooooooo............

We are changed into what ever it is we will end up as, then be changed once again. Just as we are the product of a stars death, something will be the product of us. It's interesting to think that we are actually immortal.

I don't believe WE are immortal in this sense. I do think that the awareness that exists inside us is though and I think it is all one big ether.

@kauva Then by all means, tell scientists how to investigate this. Imagine. We would know our past and all things if we had access to that "one big ether."

@kauva matter cannot be created or destroyed which makes us immortal literally

@Fulishsage It just makes "matter" immortal.

At least on a chemical and atomic level.

Your body rots

Rot or burn your choice there's not many other options personally I'd like a Tibetan sky funeral but that's not going to happen

Ask me in a few months. I am in fourth stage (many places) Large Cell Lymphoma, over 74 years old. I will not survive this cancer...too many negatives. However, being a High-Functioning Asperger's syndrome person, I will not go through the "four stages" of dying as suggested in Kebbler-Ross's book. We only go through the last one...acceptance. So, in a few months I will know what happens...but I already know, I think.

Try some CBD oil, you never know right? (not trying to belittle your situation by the way).

I may have called curtains too soon...despite having all three of the non-survival factors (more than one occurrence of the tumor, over 64 years of age (almost 75), and having trouble walking), the docs told me today that the chemo is working. I just may beat the odds. I did not anticipate surviving it...go figure.

Personally, I believe the standard science.

BUT since you asked for another take: I've been writing a story lately in which there IS a 'god' of sorts and it parasitises the human race, giving us a piece of its own consciousness when we're born and taking it back, cultivated when we die — that's how it gets its energy, and it also gets its kicks from experiencing a physically manifested life.

So that's a different take on it... In that universe, reincarnation could occur because occasionally a new 'soul' is generated with most of the remnants of a returned one before it's had chance to dissipate back into the brainpool.

Meh, I should start my own religion... Screw this atheism lark, I'm outta here. ?

you turn into plant food

Who knows i don't believe any of us know.

I agree. There is no way of knowing and there is only what an individual thinks, imagines or believes. The best we can do is use what evidence, facts and data tell us and try to make reasonable assertions based of what we observe in reality.

Well if you were just a smile and a twinkle in your parents' eyes at one time, hopefully eyes will smile and twinkle as they remember you after you're gone as well.

Convincing accounts by small children who remember past lives suggest to me that consciousness survives death for at least some of us.

@AMGT On Dougs behalf, there are numorous documentations of children not only talking about past lives but actually giving details that can and have been verified. One of those accounts a boy knew his name rank and the plane he was shot down in during WW2, It took a lot of digging before they found the boys story was historical fact.

If they were convincing they'd have cashed in on the millions offered for such evidence and collected their Nobel Prize, as well be household names I think.

Read the books "Life Before Life" and "Return to Life"by Jim B Tucker MD, and then comment again. Over 40 years of careful research has been done on this subject.

According to my sister, I, when I was very young and didn't know anything about all this, used to say "when I was dead, before I was born..."

@Omen6Actual and you determined that from research or just a guess? Of course my bad I could anything you don't believe ever be correct? do some research before you judge something.

@Omen6Actual, @AMGT Ok thats fine with me, sounds just as good as most thoughts on the topic. No harm in looking for answers and it is philosophy which basically means nobody knows, just tossing ideas. Yet for some reason people want to take it serious and personal when I took it as light hearted and humorous, they want to attack me because I'm so wrong and everyone knows without God theres nothing more than this. I would have thought people that don't believe in a God, would at least know how to laugh.

i

What I gain from this discussion is that some atheists are desperate to believe in nothingness, even if the actual evidence indicates that there is something else. I am leaning toward the viewpoint that the primary substance of the universe is consciousness, and the material world is secondary to that. How anything you might call God enters the picture I have no opinion yet.

Nothing.Next question🙂

Worm food, fertilizer, compost.

Nothing else. Everything we are or would ever be ceases.

We stop eating and paying taxes.

I know there is something. I lost my partner to suicide about 5 3/4 years ago. Within a week after his death my sons computer came on with ITunes (he hadn’t put in on), the first song was “I’m okay”, a couple of days later it happened again “running out of gas”. I do not dream but I had 3 dreams with him in them (information is personal) except the last dream I saw him driving and called to him but he just drove off. About 3 months after his death I was in our holiday place alone and the touch lamp went up 1 level, then level 2, then level 3. I thought there had to be a power surge but the other touch lamps didn’t do it. It repeated it a second time. At home my blind flicks up a lot shortly after he died gradually decreasing. I went to a medium who was spot on picking the way he died, describing my house layout without ever seeing it and lots of other things she didn’t know.I am not an influenced person, or gullibility. Do I definately believe in a spirit after death

we'll all find out eventually ... meanwhile , I won't be concerned.

The pars in your body stop working

You die,nothing else.

Coldo Level 8 May 22, 2018

Your finally at peace with yourself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87263
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.