Agnostic.com

8 2

LINK A 64-year-old put his life savings in his carry-on. U.S. Customs took it without charging him with a crime. - The Washington Post

Unless there is info about this man that U.S. Customs isn't sharing and will come out later, this is effing WRONG. I had no idea they could even do this. But, yeah, they can, and YOU have to take THEM to court and prove YOU ARE INNOCENT. Seems a way to let the Feds just take whatev to me. And a few bad apples can do just that.

BookDeath 8 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One has to wonder if it had been Warren Buffet or Bill Gates flying in his private jet with a stash of cash if it would have been subjected to the same seizure. We are all equal but some of us are more equal than others. 😉

Plain and simple, they are fuckers

This is like forfeiture laws. You get arrested in many states under suspicion of a crime. They come in and seize your property and bank accounts before they even have a hearing. The ou go to trial, are exonerated but your property is gone with a boatload of expensive legal work to try and get it back. Basically government highway robbery.

His life savings was likely to be over the limit that you could safely carry around with you. As such they will take the money coz "he might be a drug dealer." We have an added possibility that he might be "taking the money out of the country." Sometimes it is a long hard fight to get this money back, if you ever get the money back.

This is like forfeiture laws. You get arrested in many states under suspicion of a crime. They come in and seize your property and bank accounts before they even have a hearing. The ou go to trial, are exonerated but your property is gone with a boatload of expensive legal work to try and get it back. Basically government highway robbery.

Yeah they snuck some pretty sick civil forfeiture laws into place. In most states if you get pulled over/car searched and you've got enough cash on you to possibly have anything to do with shady business, the police will just keep it. No need to prove anything, I'll just be takin' these huggies and any cash you got.

I haven't check the link yet. However one thing comes to mind, there is a very well documented restriction for travelers. It is illegal to carry more than ten grand in any type of currency and like any other law, not knowing is not an excuse. How much was this 64 year old was carrying?

@BookDeath somethig doesn't add up here. The instructions clearly say "Do you have anything to declare beyond ten thousand?" Carrying more than 10K is not illegal, avoid to declare it is. That's my experience going through the border time and again over many years. I still believe it's possible we are not getting the full story here.

@BookDeath ...and forgot to say, thanks for your comment though

This is true in far too many instances with property seizure. It is no wonder so many people are so angry.

I have read that local law enforcement can also do things like this.

@jlynn37 yep they can

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96197
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.