Agnostic.com

54 14

How do you know when blue cheese has gone bad?

Does it get moldy?

pepperjones 8 June 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If it hasn't 'gone bad' it isn't cheese. Not sure if this is meant to be humorous, co please don't take my answer as an insult. if it's serious, I think its adorable. Cheese can degrade to an unappetizing condition that makes it hardly worth bothering to clean of excess mold sometimes.

So far, and I certainly will stand corrected if a factual refutation is forthcoming, I've never seen cheese that went bad in the way it is applied to other types of food,

Blue cheese (danish) never goes bad. The rottener it is, the betterer it tastes.

When it turns red (i.e. votes Republican)

Lol

When you buy it

When it disintegrate into a pool of dressing..

Bring a sample to the guy at the deli counter of your grocery store and get his opinion. If he is an experienced deli man he should know.

I don't know. I can't eat it anyway.

The very second it's made! I really don't understand how some people willingly put mouldy food into their mouths. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!

Do you drink beer? That's "mouldy". It's been attached by a fungus called "Yeast", which produces a lovely excrement called "Alcohol". Any mature cheese, of whatever colour, is mouldy. that's what gives it the flavour. ... and what about leavened bread? 😉 😉

You have no idea how nice it is ?

@VAL3941 bleuuuurgh!

When it starts moving on its own.

My sister left some very cold camembert cheese on a radiator once to let it warm up before the cheese and biscuits course. It thawed and slid out of sight.
It also took weeks of pushing thin rods, wrapped in soapy water, down the radiator splines, before the smell abated. 😉 😉

lol

@Petter hahaha

It tries to steal your stuff.

Blue cheese is eaten too quickly by myself to go bad.

When it is no longer sad?

When it turns green?

If it gets really slimy, time to chuck it.

As soon as it starts supporting Donald T.

Vomiting cramps elevated temperature etc would be a secondary indicator.
And use by date. Primary indicator.

Apparently, yes, it can become moldy. From what it says on this USDA web page, you should probably discard it. I hope this helps.
[fsis.usda.gov]

In Chicago, decades back my family would go to a restaurant that had a chunk of blue cheese on the table. Smelled awful. I think the fuzz on it would be a good start.

Another food modified by fungus is "Cuitlachochay" which affects the corn harvest with a Stony shaped furry growth not unlike what a pussy willows looks like, only this fungus grows on the corn kernels inside of Mexican corn husks. It has been named "black gold" because of it's color and it tastiness.

As soon as I see it.

If the whitish part becomes pink, green or brown it's bad, if it has anything other than a blue cheese smell (Ammonia) it's bad. A quick Google search should tell you all you need to know.

Blue cheese is disgusting!

Bubaj Level 4 June 3, 2018

Yes it is! If you happen to come across any, send it to me. I am a trained cheese disposal expert.

When the mold dies? Heheheh. Hey I happen to like blecheese. 😛 , granted in small doses. I love making cheese dip with Kroger queso Blanco with jalapenos. It's a form of Velveeta...

How can you tell if blue cheese is good to begin with?

Can't help you, I got enough with my sister ordering 6 cheese pizza! Not interested in a pizza made of the Frankestein of cheeses.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:97839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.