Agnostic.com

31 24

Neanderthal dna

Has anyone else done a genetic test and come up with a result like this?

Donotbelieve 9 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I read somewhere that Neanderthals are thought to have been gentler and stronger than homo sapiens. Something like chimpanzees vs. Bonobos. Homo sapiens won out because we're bigger bastards. I'll see if I can find that link.

I believe it was because homo sapien had a taller throat and could resonate a voice so speech was much easier.

@Donotbelieve Neanderthal supremacist!

Lol

I also read that Neanderthals were exclusive meat eaters and succumb for that reason.

Neanderthals lost out because they needed more food, and times were becoming hard. Also, of course, Homo Sapiens was a pretty deadly rival, albeit not averse to fraternising with the enemy!

I wish I was a Neanderthal.

They seem so much more civilised than cake shop owners.

LOL!

Yeah, like I’m going to give the government my DNA so they can track me and beam messages to my teeth.

@Donotbelieve lol

I went to Myheritage for my DNA, didn't say much about Neanderthal linage but did suggest I might be related to the banjo player from "Deliverance", without the musical talent. 34% Scotch/Welash/Irish and 35% English. 12% Scandinavian, 8% Eastern Mediterranean. 8% Eastern Europe. The rest I guess was Southern White Trash.

Ha ha!

So assuming that the results are accurate do you think that the Neanderthal wasn’t killed off but rather assimilated?

@Donotbelieve

I also have 3.0 percent Neanderthal DNA. A very conservative religious and very conservative former colleague says that she believes it. When she says it, I take is as a sign of intelligence in me.

Is it weird that I wish that Neanderthals were still around? That I genuinely mourn the loss of them and wonder what humanity may have lost as a result; how we might be different if they were still with us? Am I the only one who's had this thought?

Me, too.

Wow. Just wow. 🙂

Ahh that explains your sloping forehead - sorry, just kidding. 🙂

gater Level 7 June 5, 2018

No, but you are among many with Neandrethal DNA.

I have never had the testing done, but does it count if I just kinda feel Neanderthally?

I did!!! I'm 311 Chroms at 92%!!! Whoop whoop
Cave people are the coolest 😉

I have this book, and it is a brilliant read. The International book number is ISBN 978 1 78022 907 2
He is pretty scathing of the reports from most genetic test organisations, by the way.

most of what he states is "we don't really know". i gave up @ 5:05 🙂

@walklightly The book is far more interesting, with examples and good data.

@Petter, i might have a look at it. thank you.

Mine is 327 variants. Higher than 98% of 23andMe donors. Higher than all of my family and friends.

@Donotbelieve lol

I haven't submitted a sample of my DNA. I just accepted that I, like most people of European ancestry, will have ~3% Neanderthal DNA.

JimG Level 8 June 5, 2018

@Donotbelieve

Maybe, there were ways in which Neanderthals were superior to humans.

Wow! You are very special!! ?

@Donotbelieve We will claim it for you 🙂

No...I got Irish/French/Spanish/English.

I would ask for a second opinion, don't think they should be going back that far...

?

I haven't had it done but my paternal uncle had it done and he let me know that it said he is 4% Neanderthal.

no, i haven't. is this yours?

@Donotbelieve, you rock!

@Donotbelieve, ha! then you rock for all the other reasons you ARE responsible for 🙂

@Donotbelieve (A) aaaw, thank you!

Less than 40...

you are unique ... just as are the denosovans from malaysia and australia. it's just a matter of how our ancestors traveled the planet.

@Donotbelieve I study the evolution of our social structure biologically and organically. Our advances while changing from hunter-gatherers to farmers is my primary focus.

@Donotbelieve hobby and religious affirmation. this is how I led myself to the vedas. I think all of the religious stories and texts are the result of this social formation (farms and subsequent communities) and we can trace development of the social rules all the way back to then.

@Donotbelieve ??

@Donotbelieve did I say something wrong?

@Donotbelieve I think I understand.

@jimg @deetee I appreciate your responses.

Interesting. What does it really mean in terms of adaptability?

I did 23 and me. I have about 230 Neandrathal variants. I'm 99.9% northern European, and from what I understand most peoples from that area have significant Neandrathal DNA. I'm fascinated by all the information I received.

Both my son and I have many Neanderthal traits, shorter body and legs, longer arms than the average, strong bones, and a tendency to heal from disease faster than our Cromag cousins and a more individualist and creative nature.

I did mine but don't remember that being in the list

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99745
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.