Agnostic.com
8 11

LINK Saddleback Caterpillar - YouTube

These were on my Ornamental Plum. I swear I have had every creepy insect, worm, whatever eating my plants this year!

Saddleback caterpillars.... very painful stingers. The spines of Acharia stimulea are strong, acutely pointed, and hollow. They embed deeply into tissue and break off, and can interrupt healing as the protoplasm from the venom glands dries into the tissue area (Gilmer 1925). The venom itself can cause a systemic condition called erucism or acute urticaria, for which severe symptoms may include migraines, gastrointestinal symptoms, asthma complications, anaphylactic shock, rupturing of erythrocytes, and hemorrhaging (USAF 1982, Hossler 2009).

Physically manifested symptoms may or may not be present with erucism (Hossler 2009). Contact dermatitis caused by Acharia stimulea includes immediate intense burning sensations around the contact zone, arector pili muscles tightening causing hair to stand on end, increased perspiration in the affected area, red blanching of the skin, and blistering (Edwards et al. 1986; Hossler 2009, 2010). Symptoms can last for five hours, and leave red blotches in the envenomation site (Hossler 2009).

Prevention of stings is the most effective measure when faced with erucism hazards: protect skin with long sleeves, pants, and gloves when anticipating potential contact with Acharia stimulea, and avoid areas of heavy infestation if known (USAF 1982; Hesler et al. 1999; Gottschling et al. 2007; Hossler 2009, 2010). Should contact occur, the removal of spines should always take precedence as the longer spines are embedded in tissue the more venom is administered (Hossler 2009, 2010). Other symptoms should be treated on a case by case basis tailored for your specific reaction by a certified physician (Hossler 2009, 2010).

Personal repellants, such as DEET, are not effective controls for Acharia stimulea. Manual removal of eggs, larvae or cocoons with proper protective wear and tools is an effective method of control in case of unpredicted population increase (Benaim-Pinto et al. 1991, Gottschling et al. 2007, Iserhard et al. 2007). Spines of urticating caterpillars can become airborne and consequently be inhaled or contact sensitive tissues like the eyes and nose. They may also embed in surfaces such as wooden tables and plastics, which become a contact hazard at a later time if the area is not cleaned. Stray spines can also get caught in fabrics, such as carpet, aprons and clothing and come into skin contact that way

Heidi68 8 July 18
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whoa! I had some of these attack some of my roses and ornamental grape several years back. I knew they sting but had no idea just how nasty. Now I feel lucky to have escaped, lol. I was out there hunting them (with gloves, clippers, and plastic bags).

Just in the past two years, I have been trying to attract all sorts of pollinators, ending all chemical spraying, and planting a variety of open-form flowers. But I hope not to see this bugger back. I did move upstream to another home over an hour's drive away, so fingers crossed.

same here as far as no chemicals and trying to attract pollinators. I am thinking about doing away with my grapes & blackberries (maybe my ornamental plum & peaches also) - who know there were so many bugs that eat these plants. Oh and diseases! I don't have as many problems with my roses!

@Heidi68 Roses are my first gardening love, going back 42 years ago. I used to except the "fact" that growing modern roses requires spraying. I don't anymore. First most important factor is careful selection of varieties, and we are entering an exciting new era of hybridizing, giving us healthier plant options. But one thing I don't believe is compatable with No-spray gardening is exhibiting roses competitively. Leaves get nibbled. But since I have stopped spraying, I have predators galore, so the bug damage is kept somewhat in check. Small price to pay for pollinators, happy birds, and happy toads & other various critters.

@Heidi68 i have wild dewberries all over my property (mostly in the back yard.) They are a mild flavored blackberry cousin. They are also one of the top native host plants for many different caterpillars, more than even most trees, so I want to keep them. I have planted boysenberries and a southern heat-tolerant raspberry in the past several months. Looking forward to eventual berries. I have seen absolutely no bug damage on either of those.

@MikeInBatonRouge lucky! The only reason I found these was because I have a nightly ritual of picking Japanese Beetles.... I was getting 200+ an evening luckily they are starting to go away!

Nightmare bugs!

Yes!

Thanks for letting us know about these .

Cast1es Level 9 July 18, 2020

Eek!!

did you see the still photos I posted below? I think they may be aliens 👽 🤔 😳 🤣

@Heidi68 yes I saw them.. That second is very colorful but still eek! Lol

You need some predators to clean up the invaders.

OldGoat43 Level 9 July 18, 2020

The worst thing - I do have some of the predator/assassin bugs but I don't think they can keep up.

It's just not safe out there!

I was showing these to some friends at work and one girl had been 'stung' by one. She said it was worse pain than the description.

ewwwww

They were really creepy but also really cool!

Some still photos of the .... monsters

Heidi68 Level 8 July 18, 2020

Oh they aren't too big. Phew! lol

@RavenCT very tiny. If you notice in the last photo just below the bugs is a nail head.

Very orderly bunch, aren't they, all lined up in a row?

@tinkercreek I think that is the only reason I saw them - the line of green on such purple leaves.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 31

Photos 5,322 More

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

Posted by 1patriotOne of the main reasons for last year’s ‘spike’, which the media and government agencies have avoided mentioning, is the Hunga Tonga volcano eruption two years ago.

Posted by FrostyJim...sometimes you just can't help it?

Posted by FrostyJimI got my first seed order in the mail yesterday! WOO-HOO!

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #kids #book #cats #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,505Top