Agnostic.com
9 20

This is a honey bee. The pollen on her legs is from dandelions. Her tongue is sticking out due to what killed her that was on the dandelions.

It’s spring, dandelions are the bees first food. This bee is dead from weed killer spread on what we see as weeds, but what nature sees as food. Please don’t spray for weeds until you see the blackberries blooming. In this area, weeds, flowers and fruit trees are bees only source of food until middle of June. There are FAR more weeds than flowers or fruit trees, so it's their only food source. No bees, no food crops for us and we all starve.

JackPedigo 9 Mar 1
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you for posting that, I hand pull many dandies then later in say a month or two I spray, sometimes not at all. This makes me feel good, that is, that my efforts are worth it! I try to not spray until after the Lightening bugs are done mating and are laying eggs.

Boggles my mind that folks don't get it yet. This weekend I was talking with my very dear, nature-loving neighbor, who mentioned that she was seeing baby rats around her bird feeder, and needed to get more poison. I choked a little, and told her that will also kill the owls & hawks who prey on them, (we border a wetlands meadow)and she was exasperated. Just not looking beyond her own needs, but geesh!

Another issue with poison I learned the hard way, is that if they get into ones crawl space the poison makes them thirsty and they start gnawing water pipes. A friend spent a ton of money repairing all the pipes as the rats had gotten into the wall space.

@JackPedigo That is actually great info, which could persuade someone to reconsider! You know, last year another neighbor thought their dishwasher had failed, with a massive leak. When the installer arrived with a new machine, he told them the water tube had been chewed by a rodent. I wonder . . ?

@tinkercreek I have PEX for plumbing in my crawl space. One night I heard some chewing and crawled underneath and found an area a female was trying to make a nest. I set out lots of snap traps but she was too smart. I learned about poison so didn't try that and even set out some water. Then I red the vitamin D is toxic, even to humans (in large doses) and went to put some in the water. The battle had been going on for a couple weeks and I found her dead apparently from starvation.

@JackPedigo tell one tell all 1 cup raw oatmeal, and one cup plaster of paris , mix well and put in bait cups where cats/dogs /CHILDREN can't access. Works well. dead rodents.

@praytothemilkjug I've been told the same of dry instant mashed potato flakes, irreversible bowel obstruction.

@tinkercreek I have done this (oatmeal with plaster of paris) and it worked well. IMP will flow quite nicely. I also made traps with boric acid (in home) works nicely. I can not imagine Instant mashed potatoes killing rats/mice/voles etc. BUT i I could be wrong.

For Skeeters try using as many ovi traps that you can make and get all the neighbors to do same, plans all over the net.

Here is one site with instructions, there are many. One explained how the military uses them and they like them. They are not 100% but they will drop the population by enough to be worth it. You can use 100% reused materials. Skeets do not like chlorinated water so you let drinking water sit in sun for a few hours, or use rain water, or...yeckk, use water from a puddle complete with organic muck, feel free to drop in a piece of chicken or any dead animal bits, not a lot, skeeters love it. And it is ok if they get rained on as there are overflow holes. With enough dead skeeters they rot, and add to the yummy stench mama skeeters so enjoy.

Around horses/some livestock you can take a box fan cover it on input side with fine screen, not, no -see'um screens, they will clog fast. Shoot them across door opening in barns or where flies seem to come in from. They get smashed into the screen on input side can not escape. clean as needed.

In my yard we turn fans on at parties outside. Skeeters can't fly in wake of a box fan, the screens catch them and we leave them on till the next day. If you have chickens just dump them in the feed. If you think they could be bad for the chickens , dump in the trash.

If you have wasps/yellow jacketswho take a chunk outta you, try this. take a plastic bin maybe 12 inches or 18 inches deep fill 80% with plain water take a piece of raw chicken gizzard leg, fatty skin , don't matter, staple it to a piece of plank that will span the container, turn the plank so the meat is under the wood, place place it on the bin, leave in place you feel is close to source. the critters will come in for a nosh , but they fly down, before up and will hit the water, they can not swim.

You tube has a few videos for that as well as ova-traps and rat / mouse traps/snake traps.

here is 1 link for an ova ovi trap

[instructables.com]

I hope it is helpful.

@praytothemilkjug Thanks, and I haven't had a skeeter bite in about 6 yrs, after I read about Vitamin B1 deterring them. 100 mg daily during their active months, and I've watched them light on my arm, sniff around, and leave without biting!

@tinkercreek I have heard noises about B1 but am no longer sure about trying it. I will need to look into it. This year I am making the ovi traps and putting them all over the place. I can get 1 neighbor to do it as well. US troops use them and report they work really well. They do not kill every one of them, they mearly reduce the population, by a good amount. Encouraging toads, and martins (purple martins?) and of course BATS, is a huge plus. Any plant with enough citrus stink is great and there are others.

It is believed by some researchers, catnip is repellent to them, (and other biting insects), cats may get high a bit, but it is a bug repellent as well. So cats will roll in it. It is unknown what a cat/dog/bunny thinks so we will never know if they realize cause and effect here.

Mint is also not liked by most insects, so use of mint/lemon scented generic liquid dish soap plus cheap mouth wash in an over sprayer set on 2 tablespoons per gallon on a lawn the day b4 a party (or just weekly) will give many bugs the boot, but not bees. Putting out fans the day of is a big boost as well.

Find copies of Jerry Bakers book if you can, he has some great tips. I had two, lotsa great tips and recipes for various magic elixers for the garden/lawn.

ciao

I can't say it enough: Manicured lawns are ecological disasters! A marketing con job by big chemical companies since WWII, duping the public into being their loyal customers. There ought to be class action lawsuits and Congressional action(I know, fat chance with Congress!) It is an absolute pathological American obsession that needs to be shamed out of existance.

I don't live under an HOA, but still, I am within city limits. To avoid pissing off neighbors, I keep the front strip along the street mowed, but NEVER spray anything. Behind my public sidewalk, I pluck unsightlies more than mow, and I've replaced most lawn area with various shapes of raised beds with stepping stone paths meandering through. I try to encourage spreading groundcover types of plant volunteers and mow on a high clearance when I mow at all, perhaps monthly in the front yard and less than that in back, waiting until gaps in bloom seasons of whatever is out there. Weeds I don't like I simply pull by hand. The polinators, garden toads, and other beneficials are very happy, and I always have birds in my yard. A million times more precious than a damned "putting green."

I agree. At our Seattle home I was able to turn both the front and back yard into gardens with different plants and fruit trees/plants. I had one tiny strip of grass we could lay on. I even bought a push mower as it was all I needed for this strip. Now, I have 1 + acre with 30% being grass. We managed to convert much of it into a garden (which takes even more work that the lawn) but still I find myself mowing some 5 times a year. The grass here is dormant during the summer but active during the rest of the year and it will get long.

As a beekeeper, I can confirm the importance of dandelions to bees in my own area as well (and more generally, at a guess, I'd say the northeastern U.S.). Although dandelions are technically an invasive exotic species here, in my experience the invasion seems limited to human-maintained habitats (i.e., lawns), so I personally have never felt much need to extirpate them.

As a more general rule, if you absolutely must spray something toxic to pollinators (not just honey bees), it's best to spray before any of the plants that will be hit are blooming. Learn to identify your weeds before they flower.

Thank you.

No bees no honey or crops

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 1, 2021

Such a shame so many do not understand this.

Heidi68 Level 8 Mar 1, 2021

It wouldn't have occurred to me not to use herbicides on weeds, so I appreciate being onformed. I don't use herbicides these days away. I like most of the weeds in my yard and can pull out most that I don't like. I have even tried to get some low growing annuals to grow in my yard. I like the little flowers i've seen in other lawns in my neighborhood.

Now if only I could convience the HOA .

Cast1es Level 9 Mar 1, 2021

HOAs are evil. I would be tempted to challenge those bastards on this point. Do some native plant society research, work at getting habitat-certified, then shame them in the press for being fascists destroying the planet.

I just refuse to live under one.

I had a farm where we grew organic veggies and watched the honey bees pollinating the blossoms. Whenever I see someone using an insecticide I try to educate them about how bad it is. I learned about beneficial insects in 1950 horticulture class at public school in California.
Thank you for posting this info.

OldGoat43 Level 9 Mar 1, 2021

Even though I don't use commercial pesticides I learned something as well from this.

I don't use any weed killers in my yard. I'd rather have the bees, and I love honey.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 35

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top