Agnostic.com
5 15

Must be doing something right in my soil.
Just finished turning over a garden patch to get it ready for winter vegies and I reckon there were almost more worms than soil.
ALL my vegetable peelings and scraps get tipped into the gardens, EXCEPT onion peelings that is, are then left on the surface to rot away and instead of the usual sandy almost useless top-soil we get around here I've now ended up with a rich, dark garden soil almost over-loaded with garden worms, some of them are about 6-10 inches long, fat little buggers too, and there are at least hundreds of smaller, younger worms as well in with them.
And, to my happy surprise I also found, in a hollow branch of one of my trees a naturally built and very busy Bee-hive as well.
So, I reckon I'll be mixing up some water and sugar to leave out for them either this afternoon or tomorrow.

Triphid 9 Mar 5
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cool good job

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 7, 2021

Thank you.
The only things that go in my Rubbish bin are things that NOT recyclable, not good for the gardens, etc, etc.
Even bones from the meats I eat are left to dry out then crushed in to powder and returned to the soil, meat scraps are frozen first, then left to thaw out in specific dishes that are used for feeding the Magpies and other Omnivorous bird species around my area.
You'd be quite surprised to realize just how much and many GOOD soil nutrients we humans waste that could and would be of benefit to our soils, plants, etc.

@Triphid That's the way it should work

@bobwjr And so it SHOULD be BUT the Chemical Fertilizer Manufacturers seem to control things agricultural these days imo.

@Triphid My sister does the same

@bobwjr You'd be surprised just how benefit trees and plants derive from crushed bone powder.
I usually manage to 'save up' bones from chickens, etc, for a few weeks at time, let them dry out completely, then crush them to powder with a hammer which results in me getting between 2-3 ounces of powder each time.

Fantastic!

Heidi68 Level 8 Mar 7, 2021

I recently found out that earth worms here in Wisconsin & Michigan in the US, are invaders. I was raised with compost so I love earth worms. Evidently I am not supposed to love them here. Some things one has to learn to live with. Earth worms are one of them. I can see the vernal equinox on the horizon & the sandhill cranes have arrived. 61 degrees forecast for Monday. I can't wait. Cabin fever. There is still snow on the ground.

Mooolah Level 8 Mar 6, 2021

Very cool. I discovered my two little dogs like to rummage through anything organic i might leave where they can get to it. I found them chewing on old carrot tops from the start of a compost and a potatoe they pulled from a pot. They are ornery little buggers sometimes. I'd love to use old banana peels for compost, but I know these pups would go after those in the pile.

RussRAB Level 8 Mar 5, 2021

I am thankful its the compost pile & not the manure pile. =0}

@Mooolah What, you don't like the same 'perfumes' that dogs find 'enticing'....LOL.
When my old mate, Charlie (pictured below) and I would go for our walks in the local bushlands he'd have a roll in ANYTHING that was dead and decaying then come back looking quite pleased with himself and his NEW 'perfume' UNTIL we got back home and had to be bathed clean again that is.
At least I could be quite thankful that his regular Crapping pile was NOT to his liking.

@Triphid - We had an "old mate" that would play that trick. He would come in from being outside and want to snuggle. Eew! Right to the bath. He didn't like those nearly as much.

@RussRAB Charlie 'tolerated' a bath BUT ONLY if there was a soft towel to dry him and a bowl of Iced Coffee on offer afterwards as well.

@Triphid - Our dog Ollie who passed in 2016 only ever nipped at me when he knew he was going to the bath and he was hiding under the bed. Other than that, he was a complete sweetheart. He tolerated the bath better than some dogs we have had, but was always ready to be done. He once ran out of the bathroom soaking wet; he didn't wait for the towel.

@RussRAB Charlie never nipped or anything like that, just seemed have a look on his face that said, " Oh no, not again," and went to his 'fate', the bath like a prisoner going to the Electric Chair LOL.
Many, many years B.C. ( Before Charlie that is) I had a Russian Wolfhound, named George of all things, ALL I had to say to him was bath time and he would, literally beat me to the bath tub.
At approx. 38 inches in height at the shoulders, he NEEDED to be in a bath tub rather being bathed under the garden hose, his favourite AFTER bath bit was being allowed to submerge himself in to the water leaving just his long nose above it so he could breathe and then he'd nod off to sleep.

@Triphid - Now, that's an experience I have never had. None the canines who have shared my home liked having a bath. They had different degrees of tolerating it, but never enthusiastic like your George.

I have a worm box in my garage. I've had the worm box for years, the residents are red wigglers. Today I shredded newspaper for new bedding and switched up the layers. I took the casting layer out, put it in a bag until I can start working in the garden, then filled that containter with veggie scraps and shredded moistened newspaper. This was the coldest winter we've had, and I was pleased to see worm activity. I don't think my garage ever gets below freezing, but we have had several days of sub zero temps, so I was concerned for them. I'm amazed by the little buggers, all sorts of veggies scraps and newspaper gets transformed into nutrient rich soil for my garden. I also have a compost bin, but I don't add anything to it in winter. I'm sure this winter it froze solid. I love that you have bee hives. I'd love to have one, but space and time constraints.

I used to raise my own meal worms for livestock consumption. Delicious. Especially in an omelet. =0}

Just did a check on my Bee-hive this morning and they've been very busy little bees.
Honey is actually dribbling from the hive and native Honey-Eaters are feasting on it so I'm planning to leave it ALL to itself to encourage both the bees and Honey-Eaters as well.

During winter I fully intend to make 'hives' for our Native Bees as well.
Our Native Bees don't actually live in hives like the usual Honey-bees do, they live as individuals in hollows made in clay/dried mud that has built up in hollow logs.
Our Native bees do not sting either, they are quite the 'pacifists' but do make some truly tasty and wonderful honey.

A couple of the numerous species of Australian Native Bees.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 32

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top