Agnostic.com

43 4

Hello, First I need to let folks know that I am a seminary student at a post-modern spiritual/Christian ministry school. We believe that agnostics and atheists have a higher potential to reach the consciousness level that Jesus taught than most Traditional Christians do. One of our text books is "How to Pray Without Talking to God. I'm just here to learn (not proselytize).

Seminarian 7 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your description of what your school believes, sounds a lot like what I believed while I was on my trip from Christianity to atheism.

"Post modern spiritual/ Christian ministry"?Fuck sakes! You'd be better off riding a bike across the country for life enrichment!

I am seriously intrigued... I have been thinking something akin to this for a while and didn't realize it was an actual school of thought. Where can I get more information?

I did a search and found this: [unitychurch.org]

Personally, it sounds like he's plugging a spiritual cult. Also, from my interpretation, you still have to be spiritual in order to get anything from this book/series.

No thank you.

There is a fox in the henhouse. Lol

Interestingly, a friend of mine once indicated that my actions are a lot more like what Jesus taught than any of the religious people she knows. I was flattered and amused. 🙂

That is a fresh and more pleasant way to interact . I appreciate that recently I have been saying love like an atheist . Then its not some so called religious person with there alternative agenda. Generally this is linked to two things 1) others with a different belief system are wrong or 2) one political party or nationality has more relevance then the other. I read thru that and some of the most giving selfless people the type that would march in the civil rights movement even as that was against the norm . So you might have a priest who is committed to his beliefs marching w Martin Luther KING a man of God. Then of the non clergy marching many of whom now areX pats of the church and likely atheists. Though they still donate and believe in things that are for the better of man and mother earth. I have a hard time taking the current administration and its supporters who claim to prioritize there christianity. Every policy and day this president does what ever is the meanest most selfish act. humanly possible as a group of are populous supports in the name of christianity. So if there is truly a loving creator who knows all . I am of the opinion those that are either less or not affiliated with christianity will be viewed more moral, selfless and loving of all creations.Then those who are saturated w a religious belief and fixating on its ways and being brutal to all that disagree and quite honestly likely brutal to folks with similar believes.

You know, sir, I posted earlier on this but since have had another thought. I suspect you have serious doubts about your "faith" and are looking for a discrete place to connect with those who boldly state their non believer credentials, a place you don't have in the world you live in. If this is true, and I am only speculating, that is very interesting. Jump in sir, the non believer water is fine.

So have you learnt anything yet UnityBrad?

Why did you join this group? The real reason.

Okay you have me summed up here. I am an ex atheist, then kinda agnostic, then somehow spiritualist because of my interest in Biblical history...or was that the way things were meant to happen?. I have no answers.

Thing is, this post sums me up very well. I would agree that Christians would maybe find this path difficult to achieve because they are too rigidly tied the teachings of the Church. They cannot accept an alternative( subversive) version of what Jesus was teaching. Which is no different to other historic spiritual teachers by the way. But is eye opening non the less.

If you're here to learn, which I doubt, I suggest you go to the website God is Imaginary.

Toni Level 4 Dec 26, 2017

Typical christian hypocrisy. To say you believe we have "a higher potential to reach the conscientiousness level that Jesus taught" is proselytizing draped in psychobabble. Then you tell us your not hear to proselytize Jesus F____ing Christ. ..

I don't feel that people who believe in talking snakes and donkeys, whales swallowing folks then spitting them out alive on the beach can raise my conscience level at all.

If your really here to learn take my advise. It's imposible to learn and talk at the same time. So be quiet, listen and learn.

Welcome to the friendliest and most open minded place on Earth! 🙂

skado Level 9 Jan 1, 2018

why do you think people with these labels can reach this level of consciousness?

whew read all the posts and welcome to the group

Welcome. I too was in seminary once a long time ago. I hope that we can be of help to you as you develop new ideas.

If as much time and energy had been expended over the millennia in space exploration as has been expended on religion and controlling people with religion, by now we would be conversing and trading with aliens light years away.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10048
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.