Agnostic.com

127 19

Could you stay isolated for five days in total isolation as an asocial experiment?

This includes no contact interaction with the outside world what’s so ever. No computers, no phones.

EmeraldJewel 7 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

127 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As in solitary confinement? I would rather not. But just like a 5 day vacation all alone? Hell yeah. Sounds nice!

I'd want to know more.

Easily. Just give me books and my knitting.

I've done so on solo camping trips many times, easy.

Only 5 days? Not enough

I do it most all the time as my way of life.

No problem at all. I've been asocial most of my life, even when i've had to socialize as a component of my professional responsibilities. I learned to entertain myself growing up an only child, and never stopped enjoying solitude or living in my head with my imagination. LOL

If you are talking about total isolation I could probably do it for one or two days. If you are talking about no human contact but having the freedom to walk around books to read and nature around me that would be easy.

Been there. Done that. Most of it was during a bout of the flu. Then there was that blackout. You know, the big one back in 2003? Just me, candles and Stephen King.

Five days, and the only rule is no outside communication? I could manage that! Usually I'd prefer to have the internet, but I'd get by just fine with books. If I could bring my audio lectures on an mp3 player, the only downside would be missing my cats!

I've been locked away, self discipline style, since January 3rd!

y0d5 Level 4 June 9, 2018

Pretty sure I could. Survived a 10-day silent Vipassana meditation workshop. No talking, books, writing, phone, TV, meat (non-issue), smoking (ditto), booze, sex, etc. Ten days of nothing but learning the meditation technique on a fixed schedule, interrupted by mundane activities (i.e., eating, bathing, sleeping).

@Faithless1 Yes. For someone with an overactive mind, it's good to know how to focus, be mindful, and/or minimize--if not silence--the seemingly endless mental chatter. I honestly believe that the world would be a better place if everyone would learn how to meditate.

i sure could do this with ease, i sure can't understand why this would see like a problem. I doubt i will ever get to do it, and i guess without access to anyone, how would anyone know ?

Maybe, but doubt it !

I'm fine by myself, even extended periods of time. I did my stretch of job, marriage, family, etc. I know that some people require the constant interaction with others, and there is nothing wrong with that. Me? I'm perfectly comfortable with just myself. I am very versatile and can be comfortable in groups, public speaking or random encounters with strangers.

If backpacking counts, I've done it a few times. I wouldn't want to be locked in a room though.

Well, I went through JEST Jungle Environment Survival Training in the Marine Corps. No problem.

i would love it.

I believe so

Sounds like bliss. Sign me up.

Yes.

Etre Level 7 June 6, 2018

Oh yes no problem at all.

Easily

Nope. I've seen studies done about this already. They started hallucinating.

Leave the LSD home next time. Lol

@Science-guy They we're probably begging for some LSD after a couple days. ?

With my cats, books, and chocolate , I might be able to go even longer than that !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100661
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.