Agnostic.com

101 4

Suicide: a cowardly move? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

101 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. And for anyone to say that it is just shows they don't really know about it. Anyone who judges people who are depressed or mentally ill - that they are LAZY, SELFISH, or should JUST TRY HARDER is sadly mistaken. I did not start healing when ANYONE treated me like that. It's hard enough when you feel bad. It's TWICE AS HARD when people are telling you that you're JUST DOING SOMETHING WRONG. People who have never been depressed or suicidal should feel so lucky and grateful that they've never been in that place.

true some people think it's so simple. Like telling the alcoholic just stop drinking. Depression is a very complicated condition, and involves many complex feelings.

Without a doubt, it's cowardly. It's the easy way out. Instead of investigating ones self, changing ones situation so that they are no longer depressed, sad, unhappy, unfulfilled (fill in any other reason someone would commit suicide), they take the easy way out and, in turn, hurt everyone in their life who loved them. Instead of being a coward, they should spend every waking moment figuring out what's wrong, fix it and move forward. I get that some people are on depression meds and all that, but depression can be beaten -- IT JUST TAKES WORK. And to anyone that says otherwise, they're just mad that they've not been able to put in that work (or they know others who haven't put in that work), so they justify with this thing or that. No excuses. Do the work to make the change that will make you happy, or take the easy way out.

Wow, depression is a complicated disease and needs much more research. To say just do the work is equal to ssying suck it up and get over it. This is a dangerous point of view

You are sadly mistaken. Sure, healing takes work. But suicide is not the easy way out. There is no easy way out.

This is written as if you've never experienced real depression. To say that it can be just worked through makes about as much sense as saying someone with a broken leg can just 'work it through.' Depression is a result of an imbalance in chemicals in the brain. Medications can help in a large number of cases -- but not all.

@Cherie44 Terminal illness is acceptable.

"Chemical imbalance" is nothing more than a fancy modern term for "let us sell you more meds that you can get addicted too." When I was young, that was called "suck it up buttercup." Change who you are. Change your surroundings, your decisions and your life and you'll be OK. Too many people turn to the "medical community (aka - big pharma)" instead of looking within and just fixing themselves. Self-loathing is pathetic.

I experience 2 things. One is depressive realism. Just looking and actually acknowledging how fucked up the systems and realities that we normalize are. The other is chemical. I can do the things I normally enjoy, and I essentially don't get or process dopamine or any natural reward chemicals. Getting a hobby, or otherwise changing your behaviour or environment isn't going to fix that when your brain is incapable of responding to it.

@Clauddvon did you know that depression, etc, is a ‘real’ brain disorder? Causes vary, but it is in the brain.

@Freedompath did you know that this diagnosis didn't exist prior to the year 2000 and even then it's only a theory? I believe in and subscribe in the melancholia theory myself - cognitive, not mental....aka stemming from irrational "should" and "musts" leading to inappropriate self-blame, self-pity, or other-pity in times of adversity.

@Clauddvon there are now diagnosis, Nothing is 100%, but even inexact science has theories. If you want, there is much research now on the brain and you can see for yourself what discoveries have been made! Only of late, were brains donated for research. Science can show us a lot more, than speculation.

@Clauddvon in my 25-30 odd years of therapy, my depression never came down to something, as simply as you state. That goes back further than 2000.

Not cowardly. Matt's Story:

No, I do not think it cowardly, for reasons elaborated below much more eloquently than I could.

I would just like to add, I hope your query is not a prelude to action.

I've seriously considered it.
The two biggest things that kept me from it was the thought that the younger ones in my family might copy that example, without expending every effort to find answers.
And my own efforts which finally found me a great therapist. (3rd attempt.)
Be kind to yourselves people, you deserve this.
Oh, duh, the question. Without knowing that person's innermost turmoil, don't judge.

I don't agree with suicide, but to answer your question is no, it take big balls to actually do that

Nothing is that straight forward. Already mentioned here are the school shooters so the question for you is if one of those shooters had realized they were out of control and had shot themselves before they ever set foot in the school in order to protect other people, would that be cowardly. People don't just commit suicide from depression or to escape pain, they also do it as a final act to regain control of their lives.

Kimba Level 7 June 12, 2018

Normally cowardly. But if the death has a benefit and does not betray others, but honors others?
Not cowardly, but the bravest action.

I'm not sure what the motivation for a question like this might be, but dealing with depression is a very difficult way to go through life. So in a since, both staying in... or choosing to leave... can both be 'acts of courage,' or even 'cowardice.' Though I would never call them that. Living and dying are both acts of courage.

The police officer handling the case of my daughter had seen suicides before. He called it, "When the demon comes", meaning that dark hopeless, desperate moment most people end their life. He told me about one young mother who killed herself in he bedroom with her baby in the crib next to the bed. The husband found her.
Anthony Bourdain hung himself with a belt from a bathrobe in a hotel in France, when the demon comes(I thought) is a pretty good expression of the hopelessness & desperation of the moment.
And last. If you see someone in pain try to help them. There's a national suicide prevention hotline @ 1 800-273-8255
Most always suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem.

Much like any other bodily autonomy/medical care question the answer is No. It is ultimately the decision of the individual. Yes they may leave pain and sorrow behind them when they go but ultimately it is THEIR life and THEIR death. It is no one else's decision or place to judge.

"Cowardly" is such an insult. I've been thinking about your question since I replied (below) in the terms of what ''bravery'' really means. It means being afraid to do something but doing it anyway, because you're convinced it's the right thing to do. People at such a terribly low point are obviously as afraid of death as anyone might be...but they do it anyway, just to shut off their demons...or the knowledge of a long, painful death opening ahead of them. Faced with that prospect, I will absolutely kill myself...and die on my own terms.

False. Suicide may the only way to get rid of the pain that made you feel this way. It's a persons choice to live or commit suicide. There were a number of times I considered committing suicide in my 30s. I felt alone, because no one outside of family cared that I was on this planet. I'm glad I found reasons to live, but it's not cowardly to do so.

Val Kilmer wrote a sad grieving ode to Anthony Bourdain on his Facebook page. It was very moving and sad, but he called Bourdain selfish for his suicide. I don't really agree with that either. Although Bourdain has (had) a young daughter so in a way maybe so. Go to Kilmer FB read the whole thing and see what you think:
@valkilmer
#Anthonybourdainisdead Oh the darkness. Oh the dark thick pain of loss. The selfishness. How many moments away were you from feeling the love that was universal. From every corner of the world you were loved. So selfish. You’ve given us cause to be so angry. See my Facebook

It's just deeply, deeply personal. You and I can't possibly make judgements about ''cowardly." We can only say "SAD"

False. I enjoyed reading so many good responses here.

I know there'll be lot's of disagreement on this one but I say false. My daughter suicided at the age of 20 almost five years ago. Will never get over it but at the same time I think she thought she was doing the right thing:-/

❤️

It's always hardest on those left behind. For my daughter's sake I could never do it without good reason, and first explaining "why" to her.

If anything then it's a final move

It occurs to me that with the my body my choice movement women are praised for choosing to end another life, but it doesnt seem to have any carry over when someone chooses to end their own life. you have to consider the physical and or emotional pain someone deals with on a daily basis. we as a species are hoarders including the people around us. i have suffered with being bipolar my entire life, and a significant amount of physical abuse in my formative years just to be cast out by my parents at 14. when i slit my wrist in Florida following a breakdown. the police had the bright idea of beating me senseless and repeatedly macing me to "save my life". i think if it ends someones pain then is their decision alone.

Please remember bipolar, like any mental illness, is a brain disorder! You just have to keep trying different approaches, to find the best way to manage it! I found hope even depression free! I am so sorry that you were treated badly, when you needed caring the most! I had similar situation, not beaten, but taken by the police and kept in the emergency room, with testing of all sorts...which all came back, normal! That wasn’t help...it was a henderance! Good luck...

We do what we have to do when we have to do it - Its our own life as it will be our own death. I can't admit the word cowardly - I really don t like that word its as if we have t aspire to some false sense of how to be a person.

jacpod Level 8 June 12, 2018

Absolutely in agreement here!

Patently false...

False. Suicide is more about hopelessness and despair. In most cases the persons believes they have no options open to them that will help them our of their hopelessness and despair

I personally believe in most cases suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, but the suicidal person is overwhelmed and sees no way out of their problems.

It is interesting that every survivor who ever attempted suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge, changed their minds before they hit the water.

Patently FALSE.
There isn't anything "cowardly" about suicide.
I'd LOVE to explain that to anyone who believes otherwise.

I have heard it takes courage to kill your self. I do knot know the facts. However, If you are in agonizing pain either mental or physical and you have taken every step to relive the torment and your decision is that you could not bear the pain. To end your own life would be simply to escape from the torcher you feel. I do not think it is the act of cowardice it is simply relief.

azzow2 Level 9 June 12, 2018

Anyone who claims that suicide is cowardly is not even being logical. A COWARD, by definition, would never be able to commit the act of suicide.... OUT OF COWARDLINESS!!!
I suffered suicidal postpartum depression. When the pain of living is greater than the pain of dying; suicide seems like the only way out......and it makes you BRAVE enough to end your pain. If you are fortunate enough to have never felt that kind of pain; consider yourself lucky and DO NOT JUDGE!!!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.