Agnostic.com

47 5

How close are you to your Ex?

My Ex Husband and I remain best friends and hang out often. Would this bother you if you met someone who was best friends with their Ex? Why, or why not?

• 25 votes
  • 52 votes
  • 36 votes
  • 23 votes
Ellenruth 4 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've had a few bad encounters with the " friendly ex's" that's a no go for me. Same for single moms. I'm not raising someone else's kid and dealing with the drama from having an ex around.

I don't wish my ex any ill; I hope she's happy in her new relationship and finds success in her own endeavors and she hopes I'm happy in mine. When we do talk, it's pleasant conversation and we're far enough away from the divorce that we can speak of the old times and remember when things were good.

But I'm not far enough away from it that I'll forget the bad times and why we split. Don't want any more of that. So my preference is that she and I keep our distance from one another.

As for my partner, I'm at an age where many of the women I'm attracted to have children, so it's better when they get along with their ex husbands enough to amicably share child care responsibilities. That makes having actual dates possible. I also think that if my partner spends a whole lot of time ruminating about or being angry towards her ex, that is likely to be my fate with her one day too, which I don't particularly want.

So I would really prefer my partner have a similar attitude about her ex as I have towards mine: amicable, but socially separated.

My ex underwent several brain surgeries that totally altered her personality, to the point that we know longer have anything in common. It would not bother me if someone was friends with her but, the changes she underwent are so alien to how she was before I doubt I could even be attracted to someone who could put up with them.

Wow. I'm kind of blown away by the enormity of this, @heathenfarmer.

Friends, fine.
Best friends? Y'all ought to remarry.

My ex was best man at my wedding.

I've some friends who both dated the same guy. After they all split up, he suggested that they might enjoy one anothers' company.

Those two guys have been married for many years now and have a lovely and precocious daughter. I'm calling that a happy ending to their story.

@ErikGunderson I was best man at her wedding when she fell pregnant at 17. After her husband walked out on her we eventually ended up together and shared 10 happy years together, but it became obvious to both of us that we wanted different things from life and we moved on. We were friends long before we were lovers and we remain friends long after we ceased to be lovers.

Aww! Good for you. That's tough to pull off.

Hair on the back of my neck goes up in the vicinity of my ex wife.
I am providing daily moral support to another ex who is caring for her dying partner,
another I could chat to any time, we have always been friends, and the final one is here for the weeekend, we split up 14-15 years ago. Still some anger but she is an angry person, always has been always will be. Her first husband and I have become quite good friends and they divorced 30 years ago. Her second husband on the other hand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I htink it depends on the parties involved, all possibilities can occur.

Doesn't bother me, but personally, I've never managed to stay close to an ex. If fact I can think of two of them who'd probably belt me in the face with a shovel if they saw me first... Hell hath no fury, etc... ?

Which one?

My ex-wife and I are still the best of friends. I wouldn't hold that against anyone else. In fact, it's a good thing. (She can still irritate me, though. Just saying.)

I've had the full ranges of exes: all the way from fuck that guy, still to still fucking that guy.

No vote. But if money is a Bind in a Capitalist Society that it is this one I live in. She receives half of my military pension every month so.... that is close in my book.

I'm still close to a few of my exes. We know that we don't work as a couple, but we keep the friendship going because we have a bond and common interests.

I’ve always been the type that could stay friends with ex boyfriends but knew when I was married to my ex, he wasn’t capable of it. Couldn't even say his ex-wife’s name and went on rants about everyone, even his mother. Our son hasn’t talked to him since he was 12.
My husband is civil with his ex but wants as little to do with her as possible. What’s funny is I could see her and I being best friends if it wasn’t for the fact it would make him feel uncomfortable.

I'm still friends with all of my exes. Most of them don't live nearby anymore, but I'd definitely hang out a lot with them if I had the chance - they're good people

To each their own but I tend to take the scorched earth approach to breakups. I might follow them on social media and that's kinda it, unless they're like the coolest person to hang around.

I don't think it would bother unless I really didn't like the ex for some reason.

Don't Care.

Coldo Level 8 June 14, 2018

I was friends with a couple who after more than a decade decided that they had simply grown apart after marrying quite young. They liked each other but they didn't want to be married to each other any more so they got a fair divorce and with the money they saved by not having to hire lawyers they invited everyone from their wedding reception to their divorce party. It was a blast and they both went on to marry other people but still remained friends. It would really depend upon the people involved. As for me, I find that I am too close to my Ex because she is still on the same planet and the possibility that I might breathe in a lungful of air that she had in her lungs is disturbing to me.

You and I are on the same page. Definitely depends on the people. Nice that it's okay for some people

I have some friends with the same situation, though neither has remarried yet. They're still good friends, just don't wish to be married any longer

That escalated quickly

I see my ex more often than I'd really like to, one of the kids lives with him because he really needs a keeper. And then there are the holidays and kids like to do "family" gatherings. We are not best friends, we're civil. For someone to be buddy buddy with their ex.... depends on so many factors.

If you start picking and choosing friends for your lover, that's controlling and ultimately self defeating. If you can't handle it, maybe you should confront your own insecurity and sense of self worth instead of wallowing in pointless jealousy. Just imo.

zeuser Level 9 June 14, 2018

@kensmile4u then you can ask and discuss and judge whether you believe. Or you can trust. It may not be possible for everyone depending on someone's history. But, imo, it shouldn't make a difference.

Thanks for the answer. Sorry, I had already deleted my comment. People have different values and ideas That's why they date and see where it goes.

My ex still calls me at least once a week and really doesn't have much to say. We hadn't any children so that isn't a reason for contact. No alimony, no investments together nothing, fini. Asks me sometimes if I need food? I'm retired with SS and a Union pension, sometimes I sit around wondering what useless item to buy every month. ???

It may make me nervous, depending on the circumstances. Often after a break up, one person is still holding on and hoping. If there was transparency I'd probably work through any concerns I had.

Still very friendly with my ex. Will remain so. If the ex was bad news and someone remained close to them? Would make me question whether I should be seeing this person.

I have never had a breakup that resulted in being friends. I find it hard to imagine being emotionally removed from a romantic partner that I could be around them and there not be unsettled issues. I find the concept completely alien to my own life.

She's dead, how close do you want her to be ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:107136
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.