Agnostic.com

47 5

How close are you to your Ex?

My Ex Husband and I remain best friends and hang out often. Would this bother you if you met someone who was best friends with their Ex? Why, or why not?

• 25 votes
  • 52 votes
  • 36 votes
  • 23 votes
Ellenruth 4 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Insecurity is unattractive.

@Stacey48 Absolutely!

You have to take into account your significant other. Having your ex in your life is not good for them. What happens when your ex moves on and cuts the relationship off with you? There seems to be too many variables that lead to no happy endings.

I was friends with a couple who after more than a decade decided that they had simply grown apart after marrying quite young. They liked each other but they didn't want to be married to each other any more so they got a fair divorce and with the money they saved by not having to hire lawyers they invited everyone from their wedding reception to their divorce party. It was a blast and they both went on to marry other people but still remained friends. It would really depend upon the people involved. As for me, I find that I am too close to my Ex because she is still on the same planet and the possibility that I might breathe in a lungful of air that she had in her lungs is disturbing to me.

You and I are on the same page. Definitely depends on the people. Nice that it's okay for some people

I have some friends with the same situation, though neither has remarried yet. They're still good friends, just don't wish to be married any longer

That escalated quickly

If you start picking and choosing friends for your lover, that's controlling and ultimately self defeating. If you can't handle it, maybe you should confront your own insecurity and sense of self worth instead of wallowing in pointless jealousy. Just imo.

zeuser Level 9 June 14, 2018

@kensmile4u then you can ask and discuss and judge whether you believe. Or you can trust. It may not be possible for everyone depending on someone's history. But, imo, it shouldn't make a difference.

Thanks for the answer. Sorry, I had already deleted my comment. People have different values and ideas That's why they date and see where it goes.

My ex was best man at my wedding.

I've some friends who both dated the same guy. After they all split up, he suggested that they might enjoy one anothers' company.

Those two guys have been married for many years now and have a lovely and precocious daughter. I'm calling that a happy ending to their story.

@ErikGunderson I was best man at her wedding when she fell pregnant at 17. After her husband walked out on her we eventually ended up together and shared 10 happy years together, but it became obvious to both of us that we wanted different things from life and we moved on. We were friends long before we were lovers and we remain friends long after we ceased to be lovers.

Aww! Good for you. That's tough to pull off.

After all, she’s dead.

I think that worked for Edgar Allen Poe

@btroje
It appears to work for me too.

In my thought process of you are staying that close to your ex, in some matter of speaking, you may still want to be with that person. It would be different if there was a necessity for the communication such as shared children, but to be hanging out with your ex all of the time seems a little off putting.

I would suspect they weren't done fucking.

@Bignate901 agreed

My ex husband and I have not spoken to each other in nine years. I think it would be really weird to date someone who is best friends with their ex. I would be very uncomfortable.

It is strictly up to the person as to whether or not they want to remain friends with their ex. In my case, that would have been stupid, as it would have been asking for continuation of a nightmare. She has a right to a life of her own and I want NO part of it.

The first ex ,the one I have kids with, and I get along great. I view her as one of my closest friends. I also like her husband. The second one I haven't spoken too in 3 years.

I like the old adage - a second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.

My ex husband and I are friends, and though we talk on average once every couple of weeks we are not super close. I haven’t had a serious relationship since my divorce, so I haven’t tested those waters completely yet.

PenLOP Level 7 June 14, 2018

My ex-husband and I cooperated well in co-parenting our daughter. We put her needs first.

This is the adult thing to do.

It is not true in my case of 3 divorces! But, I truely believe that people can be respectful and friendly as ex’s.

My ex underwent several brain surgeries that totally altered her personality, to the point that we know longer have anything in common. It would not bother me if someone was friends with her but, the changes she underwent are so alien to how she was before I doubt I could even be attracted to someone who could put up with them.

Wow. I'm kind of blown away by the enormity of this, @heathenfarmer.

My ex and I are still close. We have separate lives now, but when we meet we chat and laugh. The pressure of sustaining a failing marriage is now removed, and 16 months on now we are still very good friends - we would do anything for each other. We just can't be together. After a 27 year relationship, that is hard. But at least we have retained the friendship that we started out with.

I have no qualms with someone being friends with an ex, unless that ex was abusive. My ex was abusive. I have 0 desire to have him in my life.

Depends on why they got divorced, kids involved, extended families involvement with one another

I couldn't say. Typically my exes leave, stay in touch for a month or two, then vanish.

It totally depends on the individual ex. I have one, who had to get drunk, in order to discuss how he felt about anything...we no longer communicate. I have others who I hope I will always be in touch with, as they have morphed into feeling like members of my extended family. I will always wish them well and want to know how their lives are going. That being said, I no longer live near any of them, so these are easy, long-distance relationships.

LB67 Level 7 June 14, 2018

My previous two ex's helped me out during some recent medical issues. They are part of my life. I don't have so many close friends that I want to throw these out.

My ex- and I are best friends. We separated and divorced because we realized we made better best friends, than spouses. Our separation was amicable and friendly. I tall with her on the phone at least once a week. She lives about 4 driving hours away and I travel up to visit 2 or 3 times a year.

t1nick Level 8 June 14, 2018

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

My ex (still married actually, after twenty years apart) lives about 100 meters away. A very, very 'mixed blessing'.

StJohn Level 6 June 14, 2018

I still talk to my ex-gf. I enjoy hanging with her, but our reglious views are so different that we couldn't make a relationship work out.

I've remained friends with every woman I've slept with. The only thing which would cause me to break things off with an ex completely is abuse or other criminal behavior, and I've never been with a woman who is prone to that type of behavior.

Actually my response is not one of the options. I would be far more apt to respect my romantic interest if they were able to be friends with their ex and if they were BFF's then we would invite them (plus 1) to go on double dates or camping with us and I would trust that relationship was platonic. I prefer kindness and honesty over all else. It also shows me that if we do not last forever as partners I will not have to necessarily lose our friendship so I actually prefer them to be friends especially if they have children together.

It depends. Are their interactions dysfunctional?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:107136
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.