Agnostic.com

68 9

Do we have a purpose in life?

I've been reading a book called Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life. It's an interesting book that looks at Okinawa, the place where there are more centenarians than anywhere else.

On the north side of the island, a town called Ogimi boasts the highest life expectancy in the world. So, they researched what sets these people apart. Of course, they eat well, have a good social network, regularly drink green tea... but another factor remained called Ikigai. That is having a purpose in life. In Japanese culture, work is considered a very important part of life- and finding the right work that matches skills and interests is Ikigai.

To them, you do not make your purpose in life. You find it. So, do you think Ikigai exists? A purpose in life, that each person has, and is meant to discover?

silvereyes 8 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What a great concept. Searching for the "meaning of life" naturally encompasses purpose. I believe that is what a lot of people use religion and mysticism for--to discover that answer.

@atheist I'm not sure that's true. While I am comfortable with absolutes once they have been proven by evidence, until I have been given evidence on a subject, I try not to narrow my thinking on subjects. I believe that Christianity and all of these other religions are based on human beings trying to interpret their environment and events that occur in their lives. Others take those observations and read their own meaning into it. They are not universal truths, but common truths that certain people share, which is why we end up with cliques and groupings. BUt to say there is no consciousness after death, there are no aliens, there are no ghosts, or any other phenomenon is asking for trouble. Science itself has had to rewrite ceratin laws and theories over the past few hundred years. The heart does not produce blood in the body as medieval doctors once thought. There are many more instances that science is reevaluating all of the time from physics to archeology. One day the purpose of life may be discovered. I won't just dismiss something because it's not known now. I will approach it with the same evidence based need I do everything else.

@atheist Remember that many Science theories and law started out as a Philosophy. 😉
but seriously, While I am a skeptic of a great many things, I also will not shut the door on possibilities. In my lifetime I have said "never" quite a few times and was proven wrong by million to one odds occurring. So "Never say never" is a common phrase in my lexicon.

Taking it one step further, why does any life exist? What's the importance of life? Why does life long for itself? What's the purpose? Are we all here to accomplish something? Learn something? It's all magnificent, but baffling E O Wilson remarkef if all humans were to Die Tomorrow the Earth would revert back to a state of abundance. If all insects were to die tomorrow the entire Ecology of the planet would collapse into chaos

I'm an optimist too. If human's vanished , went extinct tomorrow. The sky and water would be more blue. The plants would be greener. More specie's of animals would come back.

@silvereyes that may be true, but what's the point of it All? I don't have any kind of answer.

It is a dog eat dog world now.
If our collective purpose is not the earth first, what then? Because we are each bio -organism first. I can only regret what I don't do for it in the future. We are not truly free, just thinking about self.

This natural environmental is very vital to human"s survival and health. For health is everything, a purpose we must all agree on or suffer or die.

"Purpose" is another one of those subjective issues. I don't believe it can be defined uniformly or universally. Each person must identify it for themselves. Or not. I don't particularly agree that we all "need" purpose. Then again, I've never been much of a fan of societal norms or labels. I tend to push back against such things. If there's a trend, I'll buck it. If everyone is turning one way, I'll turn the opposite. Perhaps my purpose is to be defiant. To reject the things that are "expected". To question everything. To trust precious little of what I'm told. I don't like the idea of conformity. Consequently, it seems to me that being told I should endeavor to find "purpose" to be happy with myself, makes me want to be happy with being a contrarian. Or maybe that all just makes me an asshole. I'm not going to judge myself on that. There are more than enough people who will judge me for no other reason than they're breathing. It doesn't concern me enough to worry about it.

It's not really a conscious choice most of the time. I just can't bring myself to "go along" with most of the stuff that society says I should. But thanks for the encouragement! 🙂

Defiantly stamping my foot "Don't tell me what to do!!"

You have asked the question. It has been asked since humans have had the ability to think. below are some ideas from a few recent great thinkers. I would say purpose is perception.

"It is not what we expect from life, but rather what life is expecting from us." -Frankl
"Mans unique opportunity lies in the way in which he bears his burden." -Frankl
"I have but one hope, that I am able to be worthy of my suffering" -Dostoevski
"There is no truth, there is only you and what you make the truth" -Oberst
"Measurement is everything. At the quantum level, reality does not exist if you are not looking at it," -physicist Andrew Truscott
"The purpose of life is to make the person next to you happy" -Tolstoy
"to wake up in the morning and not be sad" -Musk
“Don't aim for success, but rather dedicate yourself to someone other than yourself and success will come as a result” - Frankl

I would recommend "Man's Search for Meaning" Viktor Frankl

“Some lived for family, others for work that they felt needed to be completed, others religion, then there were those who had no reason that they could find for living. These were the ones who died in the camps first.” - Man's search for meaning Viktor Frankl

True, the one's that make a career out of Government welfare, live 20 years less. The main purpose is to Survive first and then your closer to singing your song in life too.

I've discovered that I'm here so unstable people will have someone to date too.

Duke Level 8 Dec 26, 2017

Break the cycle! 😉

No, we don't.

But, if you're into Japanese culture (and origami) have a look at this. Give you something to do which works,

@silvereyes But were you accurate? Did you ever send a paper plane to some retard saying "Come get into my knickers" when you were aiming it somewhere else?

I consider the brain to be a <meaning-finding organ>. That is one of its main jobs: to make sense of the input it receives, whether sensory input, ideas, or feelings. The brain is so good at assigning meaning, that it will attempt to "make sense" of even random input, such as white noise. When a "meaningless" event occurs, such as the unexpected death of a child, the brain will struggle to make sense of such an event, to find a meaning behind it. This can lead a lot of people into religious explanations for things that are otherwise incomprehensible. Apparently, there are evolutionary advantages to certainty, even when the person is mistaken. Scary, huh? Research into quality of life issues appears to confirm that those with a meaning, or purpose, in their lives, are happier, and live fuller lives, than those whom purpose evades.

Just a quick association in the form of a quotation; one of my favorites: "In the act of thought, life comprehends it's own essence." Wilhelm Reich, M.D. 1897-1957

I agree with this, and would add that the evolutionary advantage of 'certainty' (which includes the ability to detect patterns and thus make predictions) is simply an enhanced capacity to avoid death sometimes.

We were in a program hosting Japanese students enrolled in the many English language programs in Seattle. Our first student, Risa, was from Okinawa. Okinawa is a tropical island S. of the main part of the country. What you say about longevity is true but only for the older people. Unfortunately, the American military is based there and have brought fast food. The younger generation have thus become one of the most unhealthy parts of Japan.

There is an expression "hari hachi boo" which means eat only until you are 75% full.

We had students for 3 years and it was so rewarding. One student was with us 13 months and I still communicate with her.

@silvereyes Wow, you know the term (and the correct spelling). Our student told us it was 75%.

The program is not for everyone and not every student was ideal but some were unforgettable. One Japanese woman, Kaoru was crazy and fun. She was 27 but looked 17. She loved to socialize and party and was always the hit of the group. She once came home late at night and fell down the stairs to the den where we were sitting (luckily they were carpeted). She was obviously drunk and I asked "the bus driver let you get on the bus like that? She said yes, she told him not to worry because she was a happy drunk!! She was with us 13 months of which was filled with one memorable event after another. We had a student from Saudi Arabia, Korea, a 16 year old from Taiwan whose English was perfect (she was in the country for 2 years on a college prep program. She talked like she was from California.

This sounds very interesting. I thought my purpose in life is to gain wisdom and pass it on to my girls. But I would prefer to play a role in dismantling Christianity and revealing it as bullshit to as many people as I can.

Who says you can have only one "purpose"? I think you can have as many as you please.

Did the same; just as your girls are a blended continuation of you, you can all continue your good work 🙂

We are put on this Earth to fuck and die.

I think we have inborn traits that make us more suited to certain kinds of work. We also have loves that we have acquired that work the same way. That is one of the things that David Seabury talks about in The Art Of Selfishness. To be happy we must discover our own nature and be true to it. I'm pretty sure that will also extend your life.

@silvereyes --- Unfortionately it has been out of print for a while. Used copies can be bought online. It can also be downloaded off the web.

Yes, to serve somebody, even keeping your mouth shut when your religious mother wants you to go to a Rosary. Serve. People who don't serve anyone or anything are usually not worth a damn.

Seems to be two kinds of folks, go to the dog park, some pick up the dog mess and go on, others leave it, too icky for them to pick up. Your mom or whatever is sick, sometimes you have to clean vomit, pooh, etc. A lot of people cannot and will not, hire it done or just not do it at all. leave it for someone else. Recon Donald Trump ever changed a diaper? He brags he didn't.

Biologically, yes. Cosmically, no.

Varn Level 8 Dec 26, 2017

The meaning (purpose) of life isTO LIVE. There's an excellent 'proverb' in Terry Lane's little book 'God, The Interveiw' which deals with this thought nicely.

I feel that as atheists we probably have greater purpose in life than most believers because we tend to live each day for itself while many religious folk live for an afterlife and miss out on each glorious day we have. They also tend to have hangups about sex and everyday life that doesn't bother us. My purpose is to do everything I can to leave my home, the earth, as a place fit for my child and future generations. I don't give a crap about floating around on a cloud with some bastard wanting my adoration.

gearl Level 8 Dec 27, 2017

Of course, I could say that the purpose of life is to live a life of purpose. The great motivators out there will have their say no doubt as to what constitutes a purpose in life. It can simply be reduced to what interests and pared down from there.
To the best of my knowledge I am living on a little backwater planet that revolves at approximately 1,000MPH in an outer spiral arm of the Milky Way Galaxy. It is said that the galaxies are flying apart at 270 miles per second and there is no discernible direction in all of this....LOL

It implies that there is something above what we have dictating what we should do to feel happy. It's a comforting thought but it's just not that simple. Happiness isn't a state of being, it's a feeling we chase. Find something that you enjoy doing, do it until you hate it, then find something else.

Death and taxes.

I think our purpose is to fit into the entire circle of life harmoniously on this planet. Everything living thing is connected in an intricate dance of life. When that is out of balance I think that turns into pathology - the overgrowth of humans. Maybe our purpose is to fit into that delicate and beautiful balance to make it all work efficiently. Maybe I am here to learn how to inhabit the relationships that give life, its source, substance and beauty. I will use my senses fully in daily appreciation until I am dead, disintegrated into basic elements and start that journey in the circle once again, in thousands of mycelia that feed the trees etc. Asking for any more than that would feel greedy to me.

I don't think there's a plan, but I think people who find their niche can say they've found their calling.

Marz Level 7 Dec 26, 2017

Well alrighty... to invent things to make us smarter. To have children and help them do the same. Keep doing this till our inventions do all the work and we no longer have to do anything...lol... I guess! Heck! I told my wife a king and queen from the old days don't have as good as we have it today. Even poor people have it better then king and queens from the old days. We have everything. 10 times more then people from the old days. We getting smarter.

My purpose was to raise three amazing daughters to adulthood. As long as they need me I will be happy to stick around. I grew up without a mom after age 14, I would not wish that on anyone. My girls still need me, as does the first grandchild,and a second en route. And just making it from one day to the next is purpose enough.

We are not special, humans have no higher purpose than other life forms. We are for the most part social animals, and therefore it seems we must have roles in our society and performed like trained animals so. 94% of the population accepts this (random number plucked out of the air) most of the rest may not accept it, but appear as if they do. Are we any different to a dolphin, seal, or any circus animal board and raised in captivity? Not knowing any different and totally out of touch with the life that their DNA is adapted to exist in.

My Purpose seems to change with the woman or loneliness in my life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10840
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.