Agnostic.com

29 7

Even if we assume god is real, it doesn't change anything but in fact shows how obnoxious his personality is (read the full part).

Have you ever wondered that MAYBE god is real, but we fail to realize his presence just because we don't believe in him? Well, to be honest, I haven't. This thought crept up my mind because I was discussing my views with the elderly people of my family and I put the point forward that I don't believe in God not only because there is no legitimate evidence of his presence, but primarily because I never felt his presence. This obviously triggered an elderly woman who told me that God doesn't think I am worthy of his presence because I don't have faith in him. Logically, I had no answer to this which would soften her rigidity on this issue, so rather than arguing upon how God allegedly is omnipresent and her statement contradicts that part, I just assumed for a while that what if GOD IS REAL but he's neglecting me because I don't show faith in him, or in simpler words, BECAUSE I DON'T PRAY? Thinking about this, I introspected a bit and came to the conclusion that if God is real, he is probably the worst entity out there. He's basically someone who hates you for not liking him. If you oppose his beliefs, you're a sinner and you should end up hell. If you don't pray to him, he would never want good things to happen to you. If you don't feel like including him in your life, your soul apparently incomplete. IF there is truly something as "God", it should probably focus more on the bad things that are happening in this world rather than being a narcissistic, demanding and biased towards people who come to beg in the church (or whatever is the name of the building in which you worship in your religion).

• 32 votes
  • 7 votes
pnm98 3 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It says it all when Religious books state God made man in his own image-if that's not narcisstic, I don't know what is!-this may explain why a lot of people are two faced,hypocrits etc-cause they're the image of God!

stu8 Level 4 Dec 28, 2017

I love this logic hahaha

My position is I do not know one way or another that there is a god..... as a matter of fact I really do not care..but have to agree with you and @LeighShelton if there is one he is assholiness...

Who does this god sound like? Someone who craves authority, demands respect and appreciation. Yet he doesn't produce. Still wants to be worshipped by others? Why its tRUMP !

Sooo scripture tells us we are all god's creation and he loves each and every one of us. so how would he find his creation not worthy of him? And if he made you why didn't he endow you with faith in him? And if god is real he is a misogynist, and a truly mean SOB. Visit a children's cancer ward and tell me god loves them.... Anyone who allows small children to suffer is not someone I want in my life. Starving children, children who live in war torn regions, children with diseases why would anyone allow that? If god is all powerful how does evil exist?

Not only children but also all sorts of animals, what about the innocent and loving dogs who are suffering from something they don't even know of, waiting for someone to help them, trying to communicate with a wagging tail and in some cases, waiting to die. Atleast the children have someone who look after them. I would hate god if I ever realise he is actually there.

@pnm98 I have a thesis that God/the Universe/whatever matches dogs with their people. The dogs save the people from their own bullshit, and the people save the dogs (or try to) from their over-bred recessive genes. We're going through that part of it now with our little doggie, Nora Mae. She has CHF and she is a trooper, still calling us on our shit.

@andygee I'm so sorry to hear about, I bet she's having a wonderful time with you though! And I do agree with your concept but there are literally so many dogs in so many countries who live and die on the streets. It's just terrible how they never have a human.

This idea that god will ignore your pleas for help if you don't believe pisses me off. Imagine you're near the ocean; you hear cries for help and rush in the direction of the cries. Someone is yelling "I'm drowning and there's no one around to hear my cries and save me!" He doesn't know that you're nearby and that you can see him. Do you stop in your tracks and say, "well, I was going to save him, but he doesn't believe I'm here." What kind of stupid bullshit is that?!

I heard someone say once "you'll see it when you believe it," and the other person thought that was just super clever! She thought it was a deep and profound play on words. But it kind of pissed me off. This is the exact opposite of critical thinking, I thought! It's this idea that if you believe first, THEN you'll start seeing the evidence. That's why you're not "feeling" god's presence...you have to believe first, then any time the wind hits you funny, that's god.

It's the most stupid excuse believers have made because they know that if it's the only way out. If you believe in something due to your preconceived notions, you're bound to feel it in places even where it doesn't exist, just like we're scared of ghosts just because it's dark. They also know that it is truly impossible to believe in something without having evidence of it when you don't believe it because of lack of evidence in the first place. It is almost as if you're standing in a dessert and you're asked to believe that its an ocean so you can FINALLY see it. It's impossible to believe.

If our not believing in a God/god(s) can affect an entity that is supposedly all loving, omnipresent, omniscient, and eternal negatively, then, YES, I don't want to praise, pray to, or worship such a neurotic being.

he is some kind of asshole not that there is one

If we are to look at it form a global perspective, we have to ask which GOD? Individuals with in many cultures created GOD’s which were based on cultural, historical and social conditions of the times which they lived in, the focus is not the characteristics of GOD, but the minds of storytellers who created a GOD, to scare the majority. Their ability of unexpected action (fear); being the core of the identity of most God’s.

people assume god must be good or righteous, but there is no reason why god is in fact evil

Totally right, Sir. A loving God? Not in the world I see. I see indifference at best. Any loving in this world comes from us.

If God is real, he still would not be worth worshipping. Anybody that can do such a petty thing such as create a Devil and demons then set them free on the earth to trick his creations to lead them to Hell is far worthy of praise!!! About the elderly women saying what she said: Christians always have to find a way to defend their God and make it out to be always the person’s fault. Christians are like an abused man or woman, who always defends their abuser. Just look at how God treated his most faithful in the Bible.

Often thought this. IF God is real, and it is only a conditional, I still wouldn't worship such a heartless miserable incompetent deity. Again even if does exist, he doesn't intervene (except in G.W Bush's life) because he believes in the religionists' old favorite - Free Will. Not much point praying to a God to do something if he gave us free will - an interventionist God isn't consistent with the principle of free will, but don't tell religionists that. One atheist humorist (I forget who) once said that maybe our God is learner God, not very good at his job, and a bit of a dunce. Works for me.

@pnm98 you are banging up against your family members who have taken Pascal's wager. You, on the other hand, and most of us on this site, prefer to read the Daily Racing Form before taking the bet; a wise precaution. But you can challenge your family to a simple test.

You and all of your "elder" family members must faithfully promise that every time you see a panhandler, you give him or her two bucks. And if the person isn't raving, you take some time to hear their story. All entries must be logged with full descriptions.

So, over the course of a year or so, you may have been paid a visit by something divine. Or your family members may get tired of passing out money to skells who are just going to buy booze with it. Or you may have earned enough karma points to move up a notch when you reincarnate. Or some combination of the above. But I guarantee you that if you collect everyone's logs and edit them, you'll have a publishable book. If you blog the logs weekly, you'll have a million people buy the book. And you will have the satisfaction that you have relied on reason and hypothesis testing w/r/t your original position.

Sounds really interesting! I'll try to do that once I'm done studying (:

I can't take your poll... I don't believe in god..period. I don't like religion. I believe that a list of moral instructions from a list of scholars would be better than instructions from a higher power ...
(a God). Sorry... George Carlin put it clear to me.

Carlin was funny, but kind of an idiot...

If an individual had the personality traits of a God that most people worship you would despise it .

Hmm, sounds an awful lot like Trump

If there is a benevolent God, who still observes us and who still has influence, then I believe that being would be contented with us trying to do good things and avoiding doing bad ones. I don't think such a being would need our worship or even our belief. They would just reward good deeds and punish bad ones. Something which there seems to be a total absence of, in the way that the world currently works.

In such a system, a lot of non-believers who have lived ethical lives but never prayed in their lives would go to heaven, and a lot of devout Christians, who have preached hate towards others for not sharing their beliefs, would be going straight into the fiery pit.

"I prayed for a bike, but I didn't get one. So I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness." It's supposed to be a joke, but some people actually seem to believe that the world works like that.

You are describing the Hollywood Manichean version of God, as evidenced in "Defending Your Life," "A wonderful Life," "Waiting for Mr. Jordan," etc. There's an awful lot of Buddhism that's snuck into the popular perception of religion.

P.S. I'm guessing you have an extremely magnetic personality 😉

Sorry, "magnetic" should have been "energetic"

Even when l was a kid l thought he was a dick. Flooding, Hellfiring, turning folks into salt, talk about over reaction. Maybe a few anger management sessions are in order.

The god character in the bible is a real piece of shit. Jealous, murderous, perverted bitch.

who says 'God' is male? Doesn't it make more sense if we are the physical embodiment of God that God is both male and female?

I was trying not to concentrate on that since whenever I've witnessed God being referred to, it has always been "he", I totally agree with you though.

Binary restrictions on an all-powerful being?

I was watching a film today called "Clash of the Titans" and the Greek king and queen were rebelling against the gods and claiming they were the new gods,thye were refusing to worship the gods as a sign of protest claiming that the gods needed their worship more than mortals needed the gods.

Made me chuckle ,what a novel thought,striking against the gods by witholding your prayer ,whatever would they do?

See now I think you are looking at this conundrum the wrong way round. God/creator is not expecting you to worship him without question just because he is god/creator.He is has given you the tools to think and discover who you are yourself ,is all .Some find him and some don't, it doesnt matter other than if you do find him you will be a lot happier in general. It is a personal enlightment far as I believe it and that is reward enough in itself.

As the body of Sumerian myth made it's way syncretically into the Hebrew mythos, you can see an interesting change. In Sumeria, the people did, literally, exist to feed the Gods. By OT time, you see a God doing stuff for the people if they do the right stuff for him.

I would love to jibe with your opinion but I have given my best to believe in god, until I was 13. I've tried to talk to him, I've cried to him, I've tried everything that'd make me believe he's there. I never really had the luxury of that "personal enlightenment" so I can't say anything about it.

@pnm98. Dont worry a jibe wouldnt hurt me...to be honest it sounds kinda nutty to me too.

It took me a long while to get to that point,maybe say 6-7 years,reading around the subject, lisetning to other spriritual teachers online.Every stage seemed to answer a question and I'd leave it for a while,then something woulld start me off again.I did it in spurts thinking back on it. Finally after years of reading and listening to videos, I just sat down one day and tried meditating with guidance from a CD.Then I kind of learnt to do it myself. At first I got fuzzy feelings in my stomach and my body would spasm,eventually I got into deeper states and had amazing mental and physical experiences. We certainly have something inside us that defiies logical explanation is all I can say. But the moment I really felt something else, was a feeling in my gut that we were not alone ,like a revelation .Shook me up at the time it did ,I never thought that would happen ,I was an atheist all my life .

Something drew me down this path,my own curioisity I guess.I am sure its not for everyone and each of us has to make our own path,but if you want to try it there are meditation guides about ,just find one that suits you,if you want to....I would say you just do what feels right...if it doesn't feel right ,try something else,there are many different meditation methods .I've ended up doing what works for me. One thing that is importnat if you suffre from psychologiical problem its best you go to a professional ,it can be traumatiasing if you are vulenerable and doing this on your own initially is not recommended apparently.

I decide to try meditation becasie mearly all spiritual schools have ther eown version.it s universal across the planet and throughout the ages.Some use drugs to get to a similar state I have not tried those,to be honest I don't feel the need and it seems an artificial way to get there,but each to his own I'm not decrying anyones beliefs or lack of them ,we can only have our own personal experience of this life.

I found Alan Watts is also very good to listen to online, he was a highly repsected Zen Bhuddist .

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Watts proposed that Buddhism could be thought of as a form of psychotherapy and not a religion."

God doesn't Love people. God is Love. God isn't powerful, God is power. God isn't omniscient, God is omniscience. God isn't omnipotent, God is omnipotence. God is not kind, God is kindness. Never "worship" anything but your own better nature, that is how you "worship" God. God is not an individual entity with human characteristics. People give human characteristics to God, but the power that created everything has no human characteristics only humans do and these characteristics have evolved over time and will continue to. But the God Principle never does.

If God is not an individual entity, and he's just a reflection of our good nature, then why do we need a God? Why do we need to worship anything? Why do we need ANYTHING holy? What's the point of having a church(or any other holy building) when God is apparently within yourself? That's what I don't understand about god. Also, I've seen almost everyone who always do good things in life get screwed over so I don't believe that God regulates the fate of the good people anyway.

@pnm98 The New Testament Tells us that "The Kingdom of God is Within us". The Christ Spirit is nothing more than our Higher Consciousness. (or Id) (Super Consciousness) etc. It also says that it rains on the just and the unjust. We only need God to the extent that we are part of God. The original definition for Church and Congregation were the same, (community) in other words people. In that sense Agnostic.Com is also a church or at least a congregation. Buildings are just buildings and only living things are truly sacred. Although one could argue that truth is sacred as well.

@UnityBrad I completely agree with you, I'm not a Christian tbh so I wouldn't know about your definitions though, but on the other hand, if everything is within us, why do we need a superficial power to believe in? Why do we need these sorts of manipulative objects that rise more issues than the amount of problems it solves?

@pnm98 I would just say that not everything is within us. We are a part of a larger whole though. Words matter as well. They have great power. The type of words we use make a difference. I think this is one of the things John meant when he said that In the beginning there was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. If Christian terminology doesn't work(feel powerful) to you then try another type.

It would depend on the god you worship. Personally I would pick Ma'at, the goddess of justice and order. Plus a lot of other things.

It should be noted that you are speaking primarily of the Christian conception of god. And yes, there are logical proofs that say this very thing in much fewer words.
(e.g.1. If an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent god exists, then evil does not.
2. There is evil in the world.
3. Therefore, an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent god does not exist.)

If the douchebag God of Abraham is real... ugh. That's actually tough. I disagree with a lot (probably the majority) of what was said and done in the past, but would it not be the ultimate hubris to tell the creator of everything to kindly fuck off?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11083
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.