Agnostic.com

49 4

What books should all atheists read?

I have just started reading, well listening to the god delusion, and I am thinking of other books that other atheists think most of all atheists should read. I am mostly looking to really expand my own philosophy’s. I used to consider my self an intellectual person, however I have been out of college for a few years now I feel like I am less intellectual then I used to be, from back when I was reading and researching and doing school and class projects along with conversations with other people who I considered intellectual’s and professors who I consider some of the most intelligent people I have ever meet, so now I am looking for books to read or listen to. Sorry for the long explanation.

NOCMike 4 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't get your point. Religion is so foolish; why would any thinking person take the time to confront it? Have they nothing better to do with their time? It tells me where their so-called "intellect" is. I am an agnostic- I am interested in what this experience is about- but I will accept no quasi answers- or outright fiction either.

@CoastRiderBill If you like taking your time up with foolish issues- GO FOR IT. Enjoy yourself.

You must have made a mistake. My IQ is higher than the Donald's "156", but that ain't saying much; isn't everyone's? Thanks for your unintentional laugh.

Whatever you want to read, don't limit yourself.

Gohan Level 7 June 21, 2018

There are no such books. We each have our own path. There is no one ideological dogma.

Any book their heart desires ....

Not just atheists but everybody who is serious about acquiring knowledge would do well to read literature which challenges their world view. If you only immerse yourself in texts or ideologies which re-enforce your belief system, their is no advancement in your outlook and consequently your ideology becomes a self-referencing loop. As I am sure you are aware this is frowned upon in most academic circles. The most dangerous claim from any individual/group is that they know the Answer or the have the Truth. This is especially true of Manchester United supporters who think they are the greatest soccer team ever!😮

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

Read whatever your curiosity leads you to. It's not a matter of what you read so much as whether you THINK.

That said, The God Delusion by Dawkins and God Is Not Great by Hitchens are good sources to fire up those critical processes.

green eggs and ham.

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Says it all.

The New Atheist Trilogy, consisting of The End of Faith by Sam Harris, The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

Also Dawkins' The Selfish Gene

@desertHumanist And Harris's Letter to a Christian Nation.

Read as much as you can with no limit on topics. Knowledge will set you free.

"The Age Of Reason" by Thomas Paine. In plain speak, using simple logic, it refutes any authority claimed to be had, in the Biblical scriptures. I highly recommend it.

I'm 3/4 through God is Not Great by Hitchens. Highly recommended.

depends on your intent. I would read views contrary to yours so you can flex your brain

btroje Level 9 June 21, 2018

Read everything.

Try to read some good historical groundings. A little by the Greeks, a little by the Stoics. Spinoza. David Hume. Then read some good modern perspectives. Joseph Campbell. Then dive into the modern atheists.

Denker Level 7 June 21, 2018

Anything - Its funny you reminded me of an encounter in Spain - When Franco died many of us went to Spain to celebrate - my partner and i with two children went to a campsite and politely asked where we should pitch our tent. The owner made this amazing smile and laughed & threw his arms in the air and shouted 'Anarchista!' Anywhere! at all!

jacpod Level 8 June 21, 2018

Hilarious..great memory to have..?

Whatever books they want to read, so long as it's with a logical and critical, thinking mind.

AmyLF Level 7 June 21, 2018

Read religious texts it's easy reading /watching something you agree with. It's harder challange your ideas.

The Hitchhiker' Guide to the Galaxy (entire series) : Douglas Adams
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency : Douglas Adams

Bloom County: The Complete Library Book Series : Berkeley Breathed

On Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America : Kevin Kruse

Pilgrim Withdraws: The Rebuttal to Pilgrim's Progress : Benjamin David

The Storytelling Animal: How Stories Make us Human : Jonathan Gottschall

Hitch-Hikers definitely. Douglas Adams was one of the world's greatest atheists. Read in that light, his trilogy in five parts is as funny and as genius (actually more so) as Monty Python's Life of Brian.

The Bible, you bunch of immoral heathens!!!!!!

If I'm understanding the context of your question correctly, I thought Michael Shermer's 'The Believing Brain' was a pretty decent read.

He goes into lots of different beliefs, including conspiracy theories, ghosts, etc. Kind of complex, but I liked it.

Why I Am Not A Christian, Bertrand Russell

I forgot about that book! Never read it, but a sociology teacher recommended it to me!

@TheGreatShadow
It’s probably the best book on the subject.

I don't know about any of you guys, but if you read the bible and know how to decipher it. It says these events are none existant. Really

Qiru Level 6 June 21, 2018

If you are looking for both intellectual stimulation and increasing your knowledge go to the In Our Time podcasts from BBC Radio 4. Melvyn Bragg and three guests (experts in their field) discuss a different topic each week. The show lasts for 45 minutes. Each topic under broadly speaking five categories, Philosophy, Culture, Science, Religion and History. Recent topics have been Henrik Ibsen, The Proton and Beethoven. Erudition at its finest delivered with humour and humility. On top of that each episode from the last 20 years is available as a podcast, over 500 in all. Just go to the In Our Time website [bbc.co.uk]
and you will never want for intellectual stimulus again!

Try Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

And Sock by Penn Gillette.

And for nonfiction everyone should read Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do (the Absurdity of Consensual Crime in a Free Society) by Peter McWilliams. That last looks like a major spider killer and far more intimidating than it is. It could so easily have been dry and depressing but it's neither. Extremely readable and a most approachable take on blue laws and such.

What suits your fancy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:112028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.