Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (801 - 806)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Je suis musulmans

you mean?

This person wrote "I am a muslim" in French.

It all depends on what's at stake. If I'm at work I'm not going to discuss my atheism. If I had parents who would throw me out of the house I'm not going to discuss my atheism. As an adult who is capable of taking care of my own needs, I let all my friends and family know I'm an atheist. I often times wear T-Shirts saying I'm an Atheist. If my theist friends don't want anything more to do with me then I'll deal with that loss, but I'm not afraid to tell someone I'm not convinced. I would say that Christians aren't afraid to tell you their beliefs so as long as you're not mocking them and you mention it with respect I wouldn't be afraid to tell them you're not convinced.

you are right

I argue and debate, whenever I get caught in one, in a very pleasant and cordial manner and most of the time with comic hilarious antics . . . for me it's not really what you say but how you say it.

I don't unless they ask, then I just tell them and if they start with oh you just got to pray for him to reveal himself and all that I say I used to be a Christian and you don't how badly I wish still believed like that, life was so much easier when I belived I had someone looking out for me.

Reality it is better to me than lies and fantasies

In my early twenties I was pretty angry and abrasive with my beliefs or lack thereof. I've found that communicating an aura of open acceptance, humility and a willingness to listen completely changes the receptivity of the knowledge that I am agnostic. It almost catches people off guard. There is a stigma attached to being without religion. I enjoy the widening of a person's eyes when they learn that this kind, smiling and generous person doesn't adhere to their beliefs. I enjoy it much more than I used to enjoy shredding their evidence of God.

pardon, mam, but I can't help but say "God bless you!" ha-haaaah ! ! !

I think that you have the best approach. I respect people who can approach believers who you disagree with and treat them the same way you do with someone you agree with.

I have found the same. Practicing kindness, compassion, generosity, etc., is both the right thing to do for our fellow human beings and it seriously gives folks pause who have been taught that the godless are wicked. When they discover that that isn't the case - by finding out that someone who is obviously kind-hearted isn't a theist at all - well, that undermines the bigotry against us and may sometimes get some people thinking even more broadly about whether the Christian stories make sense.

Don't be afraid of your beliefs. If Christians are talking about how they feel just simply come out and disagree. Make sure you've done your research though. I've been caught in conversations where I forget key pieces of information and my argument seems flawed.

stick to your beliefs, key information will naturally flow through you, and . . . never lose your sense of humor if you ever got caught in an argument as my father always reminds me that "NOBODY WINS AN ARGUMENT"

We have to remember always, we are right , they are wrong.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.