Agnostic.com

144 10

MEN: What would your reason be for asking a woman what she does for a living, upon meeting her?

I'm always sensitive to how men feel being asked this question right away by women. I don't ask, and I'm much more interested in learning other things about a man before knowing his occupation.

Imagine you've just met a woman, briefly discuss the weather and she asks, "So, what do you do for a living?"

I find men do this very often and I'd like to understand why, from a man's perspective. Is it that it's very important to you, or that you don't know what else to ask, or is it that you think you'll learn about her more quickly, by knowing? If so, would you be stereotyping? Has anyone made certain assumptions about you that were incorrect, based on occupational stereotypes?

Examples: Lawyers are dishonest; Investment bankers are ruthless; models are airheads; artists are flaky; construction workers are not that smart; accountants are boring..

Women are welcome to comment! I am just curious to know the motive behind men asking this question right away.

*I'm adding to this, as I'm getting a lot of "Just curious" replies which I don't believe addresses the question. Why are you curious? What will it tell you, that you need to know, in the first few seconds of meeting someone?

*Thank you all for your replies!

Athena 8 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

144 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think men's identities are often built around their occupation. sometimes that could lead to the question because ain't everybody's....jk.... or they're thinking about money, or they're genuinely curious, or desperately non-creative conversationalists....idk.

you could tell him you run a vasectomy clinic. start rummaging in your purse for some coupons.

"What would your reason be for asking a woman what she does for a living, upon meeting her?" - Well, i wouldn't initially ask a woman that, - unless she brings it up herself. Occupation may be how many men define themselves (not how i personally operate), but i am confident that most men do not measure a woman's attractiveness by what they do. (Let's face it, this is often gagued by her physical beauty to the man). If, in your personal experience this is an ongoing approach that men who you meet engage you in, i would preceive that you are surrounding yourself with men that might view you as competition in relationship to finnincial earnings. It could also be argued that if this is a man's approach to continuing a dialog with a woman it is out of lack of his own imagination to continnue much of a conversation with her.

I always laugh and say enjoy life! I then go into this philosophical conversation about that phrase. "What so we so for a living" I'm confused. I'm pretty sure I could survive in this world just living by the beach and doing nothing. Do we live to work? Or work to live? Or are you asking me what do I do to earn the funds to get what i want? I want to understand the purpose of this question. I never ask this question. I want to know about HOW a person lives their life and why.

It's really not that important to me what a woman does for a living I prefer that she is self-reliant but other than that it's not really my business right off the bat it also helps if it's not some form of career that does not allow you any time for personal relationships i

I don't ask right away if l ask at all. I've known men and women for 5 or 6 years here and l have no idea what they do for a living.

I think it says a lot about what sort of human you are really and how well suited you would be to me. I couldn't give a flying fuck about what you earn at all. I'm interested in every aspect for real and might be really interested if you did something I liked but had never tried. I'm an artist myself so I think that says I'm easy going, friendly and good with my hands perhaps. I think its more a matter of why you ask rather than if you ask.

Curiosity?

It’s an exchange of information, small talk. ...if the answer is stunt pilot as apposed to baker it tells me allot, one would make me fat and the other nauseous🙂

If you just meet someone, the topics available for conversation are limited. This question opens up some avenues for conversation. That's about it. If you find you are both involved in similar or related fields, this can make the first meeting more interesting.

I ask the question to help feel out an understanding of their identity. It’s not to pigeonhole a person, but to find out who they are. That’s also very typical of male-to-male introductions.

As a man I generally hear it before we would even meetso what's the problem

This is a good question! Most men do not have the conversational skills to "break the ice" and get to know a woman. As a result, they end us asking a lot of ham handed questions like, "What's your occupation?" or "What do you do for fun?"

When I was growing up in the 80's and 90's, there were simply no resources to learn this information and develop these skills. However, there is a lot of create content for today's younger men to learn these skills.

Women do the same, ask the very same question. I'm noticing it to be the first question they ask. I believe for a good portion if women, money and job status is a deal-breaker.

For me personally, I don't care too much what a woman does...her money doesn't mean a lot to me...drf. not a deal-breaker or even close. I want attraction in and out more than anything...andtrust w integrity.

It's a reasonable question. It says a lot about a person, and gives the other person some ground to make further comment.

I actually don't date any more, I kind of gave that up a while back. I did do a lot of dating when I was younger. I was very shy around people back then, in fact I don't think I ever asked any one out. It was usually a friend would set me up with someone they new, so They already knew what I was like, what I did for a living etc.

If they didn't know I had no problem telling them. I just figured that if they didn't like me because of how much money I made, then I'm glad to know that right off the bat.

But as far as how I felt about whet they did for a living, Honestly, I really couldn't care less. It's the person that I liked, not their job.

I only ask to keep conversation going and to make sure she doesn't want me to leave money on the bedside cabinet when I leave ...lol

I dislike asking anyone what they do for a living, until I’ve gotten to know them a bit. I wait for it to come up. I have acquaintances where I STILL don’t know what they do. It’s not high on my list of need-to-know information about a person.

The two greatest reason serious couples breakup is over sex or money. Money is greater, so she better have a job, and much better if she likes it.

Other reason is where do you spend most of your waking hours of your life. If she says a in front of a TV, I am running.

An unoriginal icebreaker, but it alludes to their motivation and education and perhaps interests, Women usually ask me within the first 5 minutes.

I tend to not ask questions like that. You are spot on when you typed that there are more important things to learn when getting to know someone. I loathe talking about work, and I am sure a majority of people do. So, I keep it simple. ' Want to sit by fire with Grog?'

For me, I'm curious how a potential partner spends her time and if she is engaging her passions in her work. It is not a deal breaker if she isn't, but I tend to be more attracted to motivated people that find ways to realize their passions and find a way to engage them intensely.

I ask the question more as a conversation starter. I basically know nothing about you in the beginning. Asking about your career is my semi conscious way of saying,"I actually want to get to know you and I'm not just interested in you because you look good".

I am looking to understand who she is. I realize that the short answer won't give any insight because we are not defined by the job we do. However just the fact that she gave me her job title instead of explaining the job or going into details the me a lot about her.

If she is responding in one phrase bits or short answers that says to me that she isn't interested in continuing the conversation.

Me: "So, what do you do for a living?"
Her: "Lawyer" or "Accountant"
Me: "Interesting" and now I'm looking for someone else to talk to.

Me: "So, what do you do for a living?"
Her: "I represent immigrants who are applying for citizenship. I speak Spanish and can translate for them in the US legal system, help them fill out paperwork, and generally give people hope of a new life"
Me: "Wow, that sounds like really satisfying work! Did you find that learning a new language made you appreciate the culture more?"

This last scenario does indeed tell me about who she is and in the process also gives me more covering hooks to explore. When I'm asked the same question I use it for similar purposes, to continue the conversation.

Her: "So, what do you do for a living?"
Me: "I work for Coke" pause for the inevitable declaration of Pepsi or Coke followed by which product is their favorite. "I work with the touch screen vending machines. They send data back every day." I then launch into how exciting my (maybe not exciting for everyone) data analytics job is... How I make folks happy by helping them out with Excel questions, how I enjoy automating tedious tasks, and my ongoing attempts to keep a good work/life balance.

Because it could lead to any of the following:

1. A similar profession thus useful networking.
  2. An opportunity for her thus not hesitating in asking me mine because I'm passionate about it.
  3. Good indicator of a person's education (Yes I prefer educated people in a sense)

As far as stereotypes are concerned, never found them very helpful except anyone who's been in sales would have a high threshold for tolerating people.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:125951
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.