Agnostic.com

36 4

I want to change my name. Lucas is my last name and it's the name I go by unless I'm around family. My name is Daniel. I hate that name because of why it was given to me. There is no other person in my entire family line with the name Daniel, that name was given to me because of what it means. Daniel means 'god is my judge'. When I was a kid my dad used to tell me what my name means every night before going to sleep. View my bio and other posts to learn more about my upbringing. But I want a new name. Something non religious and representing free thought and skepticism. I will make Lucas my first name since I'm already used to
Using it as a first name. Any suggestions?

Lucas20520 6 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lucas Antetokounmpo. Last name of my favorite basketball player.

I understand the desire not to perpetuate the Christian name. However, you may be giving a word too much importance.

I agree to an extent, but this is something I have been thinking about for a very long time. I've made up my mind.

In many states, to legally change your name, you only need about $200 and to fill out an affidavit swearing you are not doing it to evade creditors or the law at your town clerk's office. Iin a few weeks the probate judge will send you notarized documents in the mail that you can take to the DMV, Social Security, banks, etc, and Voila! I did after my divorce, took the last name of my favorite fictional detective!

I don't think changing your name will give you any benefit. You can't solve deep emotional problems like this. It will however give you the illusion that you are getting something done which will mean you won't bother solving the real problem. Taking a breath mint instead of brushing.

Fight your demons or they will follow you to your grave, my friend.

In any case it you really truly want to change your name, which again won't make you happy, I have always been partial to Merrick.

I would understand this sentiment (and similar sentiments by others) if he was saying "I'm going to be come a heroin addict to make me feel better."

We change our hair colors, shapes of our noses, our physiques, our homes, our cars, our addresses, our jobs, our spouses, perfume, our drink of choice, our favorite colors and on and on....how can people declare for another that by CHOOSING one's name one will be doing nothing to benefit him or herself?

I'm going to assume that he knows or at least believes that it will be a benefit in his life to not be called a name which he doesn't like.

My mom didn't like her given first name. She changed it for about 25 years. Now she has gone back to her birth name.

Side note about names. My dad was atheist, my mom is a believer. Of my dad's five kids, I am the only one without a biblical name -- and mine is the only name of his kids that my dad chose. 🙂

You should do whatever makes you happy

Thank you. Great response!

Names are only labels. They do not have a meaning themselves (even if they come from words who have a meaning) other then the meaning you give them.
Said that if that name has a bad meaning for you I think you should change it. In the USA, I think, it is possible, it could only take some time.
Anyway I did not name my son with the name of an evangelist but with a name that sounds good.

My favorite Roman emperor was Julian The Apostate. He was Constantine's great nephew and attempted to reverse the christianisation of the empire. Unfortunately he was killed in battle just a couple years into his reign. I've thought of using the name Julian if I ever decided to change mine so perhaps it could work for you. It also means youthful in Latin.

We love Julian the Apostate!

I don't have a suggestion for you, but I understand what you mean. My name supposedly means Angel Messenger. But I like it because it starts up conversation and nobody can pronounce it and people think it's another form of Angela when it's not. Lol

No suggestions, but I can relate. I am the atheist of the family. If there is another atheist in my extended family, it's a closely guarded secret. I have a brother-in-law, a niece, and a son-in-law who are all ministers.

My name is Stephen. I'm okay with it because my name doesn't define who I am -- I do. My name is just what people say when they are referring to me. My parents chose to name me after St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr.

I actually rather enjoy the irony.

My name is Josue or Joshua and my name means "GOD IS MY SAVIOR or GOD is SALVATION". However my whole family knows me by Marcos. That being said I recently found out what it means. My mom gave me that name and I always thought it was unique. I knew it came from the bible and it was the only thing that bothered me(growing up christian switching to atheist then back to believing in god and now being agnostic. There are books about people being named after their parents or someone else. and the book goes on to talk about how it puts pressure on them because they feel that it's a reputation that they feel they must uphold. Before hearing about those books I always thought that names are just words and it is YOU that gives it meaning. The fact that your pops reminded you every night, I think, has a lot of connotation on why you feel the way you do. No matter what you choose it is YOU the only person that can give meaning to your name which is why you feel comfortable by going as Lucas as the idea of being labeled as something are not or something you don't want to goes away. I hope my rambling sheds some light.

I adore the name "Daniel"....but if this name makes you uncomfortable you have the right to legally change it to one of your choice. Usually, the last names are the ones changed...and for several reasons.....but I understand your feelings on this matter.

How about Hood after the Banshee character Lucas Hood.

I legally changed my name, both first and last name because I didn't like it, and I also wanted to be an actor and so chose a name i thought would be more memorable. My family still calls me by my original name....

So what did you choose?

@Lucas20520 I changed my name in 1985 to Matthew Paige. However it turns out if you Google my name, Matt Damon's name will come up, because his full name is Matthew Paige Damon. Just a coincidence, I changed my name long before he became known or had any movie roles.

Clay - mortal; Clark - scholarly; Conroy - wise advisor; Hugh/Hugo - mind or intellect; Mendel - wisdom and learning; Bertrand - intelligent

Are you asking for suggestions on a middle name or a last name? I looks like you've chosen a first name - Lucas.

A last name.

@Lucas20520 Ohhhhhh.....did you decide yet? Do you have a top five? I worked with a woman once who changed her name to Araya Sol. Not saying I love the name, but it sounds like a ray of sunshine. So, maybe think of things that make you happy and come up with some alternative spelling, variation -- or even same spelling. Good luck!

I've been looking for a name I want but I haven't found one that just sticks with me. I want a name that is anti-religious. Just my way of going against theism.

Aiden: The name of the Celtic sun god, meaning "fiery"
Thomas: after "doubting" Thomas the patron Saint of skepticism.
Maverick: meaning independent
Kate: It's short for Bob.

When my first daughter was born on a faraway island we, her mother and I, decided to give her a name that would always remind her of her place of birth: HOUAILOU (pronounced: Wyloo). At the time we didn't know that she would grow up in an English speaking country. I even had to go to court to obtain the right to give her that name. The compromise was that it had to be preceded by an legally authorised name i.e. Judeo-Christian or Islamic. To piss off her Nazi grandfather I picked Rebecca. In high school she shortened it to LuLu. Later, after getting sucked in by some sect, she really despised the name and tried variations of Rebecca for a while.
Marriage gave her the option to erase any nominal connection with her heathen father.
I alway hated my name because of its triviality. But I got over it though I still like using Felix as a nom de plume.

What's your middle name, out of curiosity?

If you feel strongly enough about it there is a procedure that your local clerk of court can guide you through. If you have significant debts, or have a criminal conviction in your past, it's a bit more difficult. But not impossible.

Basically, it's presenting a copy of your birth certificate and a petition to change your name, paying a filing fee, publishing a notice or two in a local newspaper, sending a notice to your creditors, and showing up at a hearing.

The exact procedures vary from state to state and if it's confusing to you, a half-hour meeting with a lawyer can probably clear it up for you. Shouldn't cost you TOO much money.

PRO TIP: At the name change hearing, do not physically leave the courtroom after the court grants your application until you receive a file-stamped copy of the signed order changing your name.

With all that said, "Daniel" is a perfectly fine name and while "Lucas" is a fine nickname, isn't it derivative of "Luke," one of the four Evangelists for whom one of the Christian Gospels are named? So in one sense you'd just be moving from the Old Testament to the New but not escaping the religious connotations.

You're defined by your actions, not by the label attached to identify you.

Mine means son of John
My full name translated means son of John, short sword, duke, Son of John, lol

There are many atheist with religious names, I am David. My impulse here is to say don't worry about as it has never been a problem for me. This being said if it is a problem for you it is possible to get ones name changed. I wish you the best of luck.

It's a sad story, and I get where you are coming from. I do agree with posters saying that name changing is a good idea, AND I also agree with those, suggesting you work on your issues. Is it possible you are still experiencing religious trauma syndrome, and/or unresolved parental issues? If that's the case, it also needs attention, and it appears that you are ready to face some of that. You are the one to decide that though, of course.

As far as the name, I would think about what do I want to say to the world with my new name. You could pick a name from the line of your genealogical tree, or a prominent figure, whom you respect or admire (Lucas Einstein, Lucas Tesla, Lucas Franklin, Lucas Musk), or a name of an important person in your life (name of your best friend, perhaps? Lucas Mittens (LOL)), a favorite book/movie character? An actor? Musician? Scientist? Just a cool sounding last name? Anyhow, best of luck, and please let us know what you decide!

My family named me Sarah out of the bible. Ugh... I want my last name to be my first.

If you dislike your given name that much, then you should change it.

I think it would be awesome if you went with Lucas Duke and adopted a couple of dogs named Bo and Daisy!

dkp93 Level 8 Jan 5, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12970
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.