Agnostic.com

24 2

Who has had a positive relationship with a father/mother-in-law?

While much is made of meddling, mean, or worse in-laws, mine, both long gone now, were great. My mother-in-law was very special to me. We could talk about anything and both come out of it feeling happy and loved. Anyone else with an experience like that?

tioteo 8 Aug 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My second husband's parents were wonderful. I was especially close with
my mother-in-law. She often told me I treated her better than her two daughters
did. It was true, they were wretched to her. She was sweet, kind, funny, and a joy to be around. She wasn't happy that he left me and filed for divorce. We stayed close, and spoke to each other at least three or four times a month, until she died.
I still miss her all the time. My little munchkin mama.

My mother-in-law was like a second mother. She lived with us for over 20 years; my children benefited greatly. Heck, I got along better with her than the ex.

Mine were great. Pretty hands off. Also a few thousand miles away...

They respected that I kept my last name, when my own parents didn't! I thought that was really something.

Carin Level 8 Aug 4, 2018

Me!! My in laws are amazing and super accepting. My mother in law is an amazing hostess and is constantly offering me delicious wine when we visit. My father in law likes to tinker and has shared some woods crafts with me including several primitive fire tools.
The accepted me and my kids into their family like we are their own. I am so fortunate!!

My first husband used to tease me that his mom liked me best because she frequently sided with me when we disagreed. She was a really sweet Southern lady (not the fake kind) and we loved her dearly. He even used to send her flowers on his birthday. Unfortunately, she became ill and died of complications from a rare type of kidney disease at a very young age, as did he.

I stayed married to my first husband years longer than I would have, due to the love and support that both my in-laws lavished on me. It compensated, in some respects, for the lack of either from my own parents. My ex-mother-in-law even told me once, in a candid moment, that she would rather keep me than him if we got divorced!

So much better to have heard it spoken than to only have sensed it. My last wife was disingenuous with her mother about some rather juvenile things and really believed the woman wasn't aware of it. My relationship with her mother was similarly based on honesty and candor.

I learned later, after the marriage ended, from a friend who attended a meeting with her mother and brother that they 'spoke very highly' of me and had expressed regrets that she was, to them, the reason things couldn't turn out better. It helped balance lots of soul-searching about what I might have done or done wrong.

My mother in law was super. We enjoyed getting together and had a great relationship. We respected each other and could share a laugh or two. She never commented negatively on my relationship with her daughter and never meddled. I loved to cook Thanksgiving dinner for her and she showed her appreciation by baking the best pies to go with the meal. I do miss her greatly.

I didn't have a good in-law (now ex????) relationship however, on the flip side, I have a great relationship with my son in law and that is the only one that matters to me. 😀

@Stevil Ha. It took some adjusting on my part in the beginning of the relationship until I realized that I didn't need to be in charge any more. What a relief lol. He too is a great husband and father and that outweigh's any small differences I may have with him.

Never had a bad relationship with mine. In some ways I’m closer or more comfortable around them (especially FIL- they are divorced so only see them together periodically) than my own parents.

PDF Level 5 Aug 5, 2018

Nope. I remember her father did not spoke to me in the wedding. He spoke to my best man, not to me. Her mother spread rumors about me to my children during divorce. I will dance on her grave one day as promised. Only Promise in my books. I am very positive is easy to remember.

My late former inlaws were OK. Their middle son, my husband could do no wrong in their eyes. They were great for the kids, paid for their college and braces. They were kinda cold to their daughters in law. We were not on the same level as their sons, not really family. But we usually lived many miles away so it really didn't matter.

I am not my husband's parent's best friend by any means, but we do get along. Same with him and my Mom and stepdad.

His Dad's girlfriend (his parents are divorced too) though, is another story. She recently blocked the both of us on Facebook because she thinks that we don't care about her. She fell and got hurt really badly early last year and has had a long road to recovery. We didn't really contact her too much because, well, there are only so many times you can say, "that sucks" and "get well soon". My husband and I are both introverts so that means we are pretty reserved anyway. She's the kind of person who can and does talk to anyone and everyone, so she doesn't understand that we aren't that talkative. She just gets offended and thinks we don't like her. In all honesty, I did like her, but I'm kind of struggling now.

My in laws were/are vile disgusting ignorance in human form. She's gone, adios bitch but he lives on to use and abuse.

My last father-in-law was a spoiled-rotten-all-his-life diva...but sharp, and funny. We liked each other much better than my annoying hubby, his son.......

Ex father in law was cool, but the ex mother in law was a psycho Catholic. I swear the freakin Pope himself would call her to ask her advice on how to be more crazy Catholic.

Yup, still crack me up when my mother in law calls and always ask my wife how am I doing and I can see how her blood starts to boil red hot.....the wife gets really pissed and I think it's pretty funny. We have been separated for several years now but my mother in law have always treated me very well all the same (I must have done something right ?). She is pushing 92 now and there is no doubt in my mind that she will bury us all.

I have always gotten along with my in-laws! In fact, that was one of the hardest parts of getting divorced, not knowing how to maintain the relationship with them. I am still friends with my second wife's mom (my ex passed away a year and a half ago), and love to see her at my son's family functions. She's 80 years old but runs around like someone 20 years younger. I got along very well with my first wife's parents as well.

The bonus of getting a divorce was getting rid of the in laws. My MIL was a PIA most of the time. She was nice enough, but she was still a huge PIA most of the time. She'd do stuff like come to my house and rearrange the furniture or cupboards or something. The best thing was the closest they lived was 6 hours away so they didn't visit much. Plus they lived in Denver 4 blocks from the Rockies stadium and the ex and his family were huge baseball fans so we mostly went there.

I was a lot closer to my first MIL. But I was only 16 and hadn't really had a real mother - daughter relationship at that point. I stayed in touch with her until after I got sick and she decided to take my kids away. She didn't get them but I never spoke to her after that.

I have.

Yes I have had that experience.

I've had a pretty good and positive relationship with my in-laws, but my FIL has gotten increasingly strange over the last few years. They came back from wintering in Florida and I asked him about the weather and the fishing and all he wants to talk about is how Trump is the victim of the Deep State and a bunch of shit is about to go down and FBI agents along with Obama and Clinton are going to jail soon and that white people have had it too rough for too long and it's about time for things get set right. That part was especially disconcerting. I try steering the conservation towards The Leons (what he calls the Detroit Lions), but he seems to have lost interest in anything not political.

My in-laws were just right, even after the divorce. I went to my ex-MIL's bedside in the hospital when she was dying, along with the rest of the family. I still love them.

My ex mother in law was horrid while I was married to her son. It was only after divorce that she found out that that which she had accused me of was actually her son. She's been great after that conclusion reached her and that the only contact that she had with her grandchildren post divorce was by my meeting her halfway and pushing her rights to have them on some holidays and other visits. He was actually angry that she and I went behind his back and arranged that. The kids are grown and she remains in contact with me..

...yes - my ex's father was an immigrant
from Ukraine, and we worked on cars,
talked sports;played board games;talked
history;just generally bonded on slot of
issues.If we disagreed I found it hard
not to aquiest to his views.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:148126
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.