Agnostic.com

30 1

What is your explanation?

If we have no soul, how do you explain the variation of experiences that happen when we hear about near death experiences? Some people say they have seen and heard what is going on in the room next to theirs and it turns out to be accurate. Other people say they have experienced something similar to hell, and other people have done the whole white light tunnel scenario. How do YOU explain the variations?

By Cbabcoco6
Actions Follow Post Like

Post a comment Add Source Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All these things are nothing more than manifestations the brain and nervous system shutting down. Period. NOthing more, nothing else.

As Mr. Spock said: It would be impossible to say without a common frame of reference.

IAMGROOT Level 7 Aug 8, 2018

Lacking explanation does nto mean that there is none, and it also does not prove a soul exists after death. We just lack enough data to prove things one way or another.

The light at the end of the tunnel has been rep[licated by some astronauts going through training at multiple G-forces. So, mos tlikely tht experience is caused due to a lack of blood flow to the brain.

When such experiences are debunked, you seldom her about it, unless you keep up with scientific papers on the subject. Above is one example you probably never heard about.

There are other ways to do it too. [bigthink.com]

If you were to imagine what aliens may look like if they were you visit, you might imagine a flying saucer, naked grey slender aliens with oval heads and all black eyes. There is no way of knowing if what people experienced wasn't from preconceived conception of what these were supposed to look like.

Additionally, many people can witness a single event and report completely different details.

As for "Some people say they have seen and heard what is going on in the room next to theirs and it turns out to be accurate." please provide a citation.

Squirrel Level 7 Aug 8, 2018

I say brains are amazing. It all happens there.

Sirena Level 7 Aug 8, 2018

You said it best!

A very interesting article. smile001.gif

@Betty glad you liked it ?

Ever had and remembered a dream? Just like that....

Byrdsfan Level 8 Aug 15, 2018

lots of points to examine:

Implied question: "Why near death experiences" when the brain is not functioning correctly (near death) the chemistry changes and the brain. Dopamine (which can make us feel pleasure) and norepinephrine (which increases alertness) and other chemicals change you sense of reality.

"Variation of experiences" are a result of different people having different imaginations based on their life experience and genetic differences. Those that see a white robed person, or the white tunnel or one with wings are usually those that were exposed to that idea via some earlier experience media, stories, etc displaying what the afterlife would be like. . .

"Some people say they have seen and heard what is going on in the room next to theirs and it turns out to be accurate." Source please. Be advised you would need a much more specific example then a person reporting what he/she perceived what is going on in the room next door.

Ran across an article summarizing a book years ago that compiled Near Death Experiences. It's conclusion was interesting as (according the article) some atheist saw god and some theists found there was no god and became atheists. The imagination is a wonderful thing.

On a similar topic. . . to help a patient with seizures surgeons performed a corpus calloscotomy (cut the connection between the brain hemispheres) so the different sides could no longer talk to each other. Researches asked each side of the patient's brain if there was a god. One side of the brain said yes, the other side said no. What happened to the person? Were two souls created by cutting the brain? Will one soul go to heaven and the other suffer in hellfire forever?

Even after the heart stops pumping oxygen throughout the body, the brain is still operating on what it has in stores. Until that supply runs out, it remains free to produce imagery or experiences. As for what it produces, I suspect that would be dependent on a multitude of factors, including the departed's emotional state leading up to the event and the environment around the individual - basically, all possible sensory input at the time.

There is no proof of any of the statements in this post. All is personal experience with makes all the said evidence subjective and by consecuense of it, non valid.
The white light things report happens often in the operating room. What is right above the patiet on the OR? Yes ! A bright light.

Lack of oxygen to the brain. It also makes sense that people would have similar experiences in a similar situations. Funny how what people see is always something attached to their own religion or beliefs.

Personally I consider near death experiences to be in the same category as alien abduction, ghosts, and religion...they are all interesting but just because they cannot all be explained doesn't make them real or true to what people may think they are.

Remember "That which can be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence".

Hitchens Level 8 Aug 8, 2018

You speak of near death experiences as if they actually exist as an entity. People are experiencing something that some call near death experience. That, by itself, is a subjective assessment that only carries the meaning you give to it. This has been reported for a long time without and substance. No soul!

Both of my parents died in the past year. One from lung cancer and one indirectly from a car accident. They both seemed to consciously die. I remember my mom saying “I have to do this for myself, it doesn’t mean that I don’t love you.”?
My dad said that he needed to hold my hand or my nieces hand because he was afraid if he didn’t he would slip out of this world. He had an open debate with himself that he could stay here with his three children and all of his grandchildren, or he could let go and be with my mom. He said stuff like I should call my husband one more time so he could tell him that he loved him. He did stop holding my hand when I tried to hold his.?
I really don’t know what happens after death as none of us do, even my ex-husband who was dead for fifteen minutes. He has no memory of what happened during that time.
We are finding out many things about the universe and there are theories of multiple dimensions, string theory ect.
It is my belief that there is some form of existence after death....I’ve done a lot of research concerning near death experiences.
But at the end of day after all of these comments and conversations there is no other conclusion that we can come to besides....I DONT KNOW.

Cbabcoco Level 6 Aug 8, 2018

What you believe in life is what youll see in death. The mind is designed that way.
We are programmed biological machines. The "soul" is just a power supply for that machine. No deity required

@KissedbySun Why were you surprised? by what you saw in your minds eye. Where they things that you never knew a little about in life ?

If the person survives, the psychological activity remains. Not necessarily reality.

Wouldn’t variations imply that there is no soul?

I don't. The body is shutting down, who knows what it will do. Until such time as there is provable, repeatable evidence of something 'else' I'm happy with 'I don't know' as the answer.

ipdg77 Level 8 Aug 8, 2018

We can recreate NDEs. The brain is a powerful organ.

The human brain works in mysterious ways. I think the brain doesn't know what's happening to it and, in desperation, grabs for whatever thing it has on file to come up with an answer.

I was once in surgery to repair damages from a pretty serious motorcycle accident. I remember an event/dream/hallucination that happened sometime during the surgery. I was looking at this parallelogram panel/wall/billboard with rows of red or black parallelogram doors/windows on it, like a checkerboard. The doors/windows kept opening and closing randomly for no apparent reason that I can recall. Then I felt a reassuring hand rest on my shoulder and and a voice/thought/feeling saying "That's ok. You're right". Then I put my feet on the side of the pool and pushed myself away into the warm, gently flowing water.

This happened in March of 2006 and I remember it, and some of what I felt or thought, as clear as when it happened.

I don't know if it was a near-death experience or a drug-induced hallucination, mostly because no one told me about what happened in the surgery room, aside from all the repairs they had to make. I never asked because I was still alive (I'm a cup-half-full kind of guy) and very focused on my recovery.

Near death experience? I don't know. All I do know is that out of all the dreams/hallucinations that I've had in my life (which is a lot) none have stuck in my head the way this one has.

Yogisan Level 7 Aug 8, 2018

You've got to change that opening line: it's God that works in mysterious ways. Atheists are the wrong people to tell that the brain works this way. smile009.gif

@godef Well, I'm not a neurosurgeon or a scientist working on brain functions, but I'm pretty sure science has not gotten to the point where it can tell us every reason the brain functions the way it does, or even all the things the brain can do. If they had, they would have fixed tRUMP by now. And probably a lot of other people in the process. ? ?

Imo, your brain is either alive and tuned in to a varying degree, or it is dead. So from this perspective, any perceptions experienced at a point "close to" death seem irrelevant.

daylily Level 8 Aug 9, 2018

There are things in this world that no one can explain. I am not so arrogant to claim understanding, I seek it.
I do believe that our beliefs shape or experiences.

Well, I've been there, wasn't a damn thing going on.

nvrnuff Level 8 Aug 8, 2018

I can't.

But that doesn't mean the bullshit theory of a "soul" is the answer now does it?

well recent studies show your brain is still active after clinical death and probably knows its dead just what we need more existential worry but hey ho personally i wouldnt try to explain it to many variables

weeman Level 7 Aug 8, 2018

Dream world, no different. Sometimes outside stimuli work their way in.

Byrdsfan Level 8 Sep 29, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text 'q:150690'.
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer.
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others!