Agnostic.com

97 4

Would you want a Christian God to be real?

Ever lasting life in heaven under Yahweh Jesus and the holly ghost. Or is existenceless a more desirable end to life?

paul1967 8 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

97 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Christian god is a sadist so there is no way I would want to spend eternity with him, if he was real, which he isn’t.

No the tale of Noah;s arc say s it all. Yes of course i know it didnt happen however the fact the fact that a religion teaches mass genocide is fine if you don't think the "right" way say it all in major volumes

NO
The Christian god is a monster, eternal life is a curse, especially his idea of eternal bliss which is basically stroking his ego forever and ever amen.
You would have to be as insane as he is described to be to want that.
What a freaking nightmare.

So I agree with you 100%. I don't want eternal life, but you are the first person who agreed with me on that point. Can I ask your reasons why? Forget the Bible myth and forget about the heat death of the universe. If you could take a pill that would give you a body of a 30-year-old and give you eternal life, and you could instantly travel anywhere you wanted safely would you want to live forever?

@paul1967 No forever is too long a time, everything would either have to stagnate with you if the immortality was universal, or else everything else would die and leave you constantly mourning, either option still leaves you alone, in a finite universe that you will eventually know everything about and will lose to the vastness of time.
Humans will all die or evolve past the point when they are humans; again you will be alone, a relic, and a curiosity.
Nothing about living forever is appealing; it is eventually, loneliness, stagnation and the torture of unending monotony.
A society of immortals would be worse still, sheer boredom would lead to endless un-winnable wars, torture for the sake of pain, utter cruelty and insensitivity.
Death's inevitability is all that gives life meaning; it is the great leveller and the great motivator.

@LenHazell53 The things that scare me is the boredom. My brain was as good as it's ever going to get when I was in my 20s to early 30s and even with that brain I could only learn a tiny fraction of the things out there. Once I learned everything I could possibly know what would be left? I guess relationships but how long before I lose interest. I think the only possible solution would be a mind wipe which is the same as death.

@LenHazell53 unfortunately, you will be here forever...through some form or fashion living on as vegetation on someone's plate or apart of the biosphere, living in someone's genetic material. It's inescapable my love.

@Honey4Oshun Oh I know that, but that is eternal existence, not eternal life, I doubt that when part of a water molecule evaporates from the final burning away of the earth in about 80 billion years time, it will be thinking "Hey remember when I was that arrogant twat Lennie making fatuous posts on Agnostics dot com? Seems Honey4Oshun was right after all, well fancy that 😉

You are asking for a choice between fantasy and reality. I chose a life of truth over a life of delusion. I choose a life of authenticity over a life of fraud. I chose a life of awareness over a life of zombieism. Otherwise, life is wasted.

Which interpretation of the "Christian God" are you referring too? Either way its NO, I can't believe in superstition and an everlasting existence as a real concept. Its too childish.

So i could kick his ass as i screamed at him? Oh hell yes!

That is extremely funny because it's true.

Worshipping the Cristian god and bowing down to him forever and ever would start to get old after the first 10,000 years.

If it did turn out that there was a Christian God, and I went to heaven, I would ask God, does the Bible accurately represent who you are and what you expected us to be? If he answered yes, I wouldn't be able to bow to him with any respect, it would be out of fear and contempt. I would like to think I would have the inner strength to walk out of heaven into hell, given that those are the only two options, but honestly I don't know that I would. Which is worse an eternity of fear or an eternity of pain? The only option that gives me any peace is annihilation.

With its insecurities and demands of subserviance? Hell no..

No, not in a million years. Their God is still the God of the old testament with his son, God Lite at his side. The old man is a narcissistic homicidal control freak not to mention he promotes child abuse in the form of child killing and child marriage/rape. He is vindictive and hardly the all seeing all knowing being he is purported to be. This being is unworthy of existence.

No. If the Judeo-Christian God were real, that would be horrifying. I don't understand people even WANTING to believe in such an entity. Lucky for us, there is no evidence that Yahweh exists.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I have been asked what I would do if I found out that God was real. My answer was to look for the opposition organization, or found such an organization.

This question has a lot to do with why I rejected the faith I grew up with. When I was 14 and actively attending church I began to wonder I would really enjoy the heaven they described there. When I realized I didn't think I would enjoy an existence where my primary, if not only function, was to praise god I thought that didn't really sound like the person I knew myself to be.

At the time I accepted these thoughts as a crisis of faith grounded in pride and/ or a lack of understanding. I believed in time I would gain the wisdom and humility necessary to move beyond this.

Gradually, though, I began to have more doubts when it came to morality. Whole hetero myself I believed homosexuality and transgender ideas were not a choice and while they may not have been genetic any factors leading to those outcomes were out of control of the people who faced them. Those thoughts expanded to encompass faith itself- that people could not choose the faith they were first indoctrinated into.

It was at this point I decided that I could not worship a god whose morality I found objectionable. I felt that whether he existed or not, I could not follow this god in good conscience. Gradually my beliefs shifted from active opposition to the god I had been taught about to a belief that gods in general were simply extensions of social beliefs and/ or a means for control of society.

So, no, I would not want a Christian god to be real because I would feel compelled to wage a fruitless war against it.

Sometimes I want God to be real so I have someone to blame for all the bad shit that happens. Someone all-powerful, who could have stopped it but didn't. Someone omniscient who could have prevented Hitler at conception, because He foresaw the slaughter of the Holocaust.

Christians keep praising God when someone is "miraculously" saved from a terrible death. But why doesn't He miraculously save everybody, in that case? When people die in freak events, 1,000,000 to 1 odds that just happen to result in someone sliding on the patch of oil and going through a guardrail to their death, well, that must have been God too, right? So why don't they get angry at God for causing that?

IF God exists, He can't be omniscient, omnipotent, AND benevolent. Two out of three at best.

I would love to look into Thou’s face and ask: WTF was that all about? I’ll be happy to tell this God Thou can shove his love and go where my family and friends are.

No, of course not. What a dick!

Not if what the Bible says about him is actually true no of course not!

Paul Level 5 Oct 24, 2017

I'm watching it. This is an interesting resource.

Certainly not. I have earned such fearful retribution from any such being that I’m rather pleased to still assert his or her non existence.

mjpwl Level 3 Oct 20, 2017

Want? Probably not. OT God's an asshole and while he mellowed out in the NT after having a kid, he's still a bit of a bugger.

Not sure what good it would serve or change anything. How would that change anything & the illusion of ever lasting life would have to be proven first to be considered even real beyond our own existence.

My Top Five for posthumous outcomes:

1. Die knowing you have done the best you could for yourself, your family, community, etc., and then lights out.
  2. Getting all the answers, and then lights out.
  3. Corporeal resurrection in a World to Come (the Pharisee model).
  4. Reincarnation.
  5. Merge with the Cosmic All.

A nonsensical question. If there were a heaven it would not, indeed, could not be under Yahweh. Ever read the Old Testament?

It would end up being Hell or incredibly boring. There is a Star Trek Voyager Episode where a member of the Q just wants to die, because he basically knows everything and has done everything. Would we really want to have an existence where we worship and praise the dear leader for all eternity or do the same things millions and millions of times or be in a place where some of our favorite people can't be, even thoug they were good loving people, just because they didn't buy in to a certain doctrine. NO Thank You!

Heavens no!
Then it would be the worst of all possible worlds!

Hell to the no! He sounds like a real dick.

Even if he was real he wouldn't be the God I worship.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1557
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.