Agnostic.com

28 4

Prayers at meetings

Religion in my African society as someone explained to me is more cultural than a statement of faith. I belong to an organization, a 501c-type group that wants to pray at the beginning and the end of all meetings. It is becoming increasingly uncomfortable for me to participate and I brought up the issue once. They put it to a vote (how nice!), and of course, you know how it ended. Has anyone been in a similar situation? What arguments can I advance to them?

Ownyrvoice 5 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would consider it the same as whenever I go to a wedding/funeral/child indoctrination ceremony... I stand when they stand, I sit when they sit, but I don’t pray, I don’t kneel, and I don’t sing/recite along even if I know the words, lol... I’m not there to protest, let them have their ritual while I sit quietly and just admire the colorful windows. ?

That's what I do also cool you do that way

Exactly.

I only attend band meetings. We open and close our meetings with a bowl.

My kind of meeting 🙂

I really dislike the general assumption that everyone wants damn prayers before all sorts of non-religious events !
F-in prayers.

"Majority rule" does not justify making anyone feel uncomfortable or dismissed.
They get to pray enough on their own time, it's not reasonable to force it on you.

"Under Title VII, business owners or supervisors are permitted to communicate their religious beliefs through their company policies and practices provided that 1) they do not give prospective or current employees the perception that employment or advancement requires workers to adopt a certain religious belief, 2) they accommodate employee objections, and 3) they do not require employees to participate in religious worship experiences."
Found this here: [www1.cbn.com]

Finally a rational response to Atheist African victimized by theocratic perpetrators. ....Atheist Africans have always led the way out of bondage....A Phillip Randolph Atheist convened many religionists 1963 and liars all give credit to MLK jr and his dream speech. ..watch the video and see Muslims, Hindi, Jews et al sharing the Lincoln Memorial stage...himself an Atheist President

I work with both non-profits and local government here "in the heart of Texas". Both love to prey at the start of meetings. I don't want to negate or interfere with the good work that actually does get done, so I just quietly stand there, thinking (Like Chevy Chase about to jump in a pool with Christie Brinkley) "this is stupid, this is stupid, this is stupid"

Sorry, I wish I had a better answer.

Ozman Level 7 Aug 19, 2018

I love that play on words i.e., "prey" equals "pray". Very accurate.

@ReadyforaChange glad that you caught that.

That's a hard one. Let them pray while you look around and wonder how stupid the are?

Try not holding your head down with eyes closed as they pray. Look around and see who else might be looking around and maybe even looking at you. Then you will know how many of them actually feel like you do.

I would blatantly keep my eyes open or remove myself from the room during these prayers.

Can you wait until the prayer is over before you come into the meeting? Or can you lead the prayer sometimes? Say a little prayer to The Flying Spaghetti Monster and pass around some noodles.
Ra’men.

Haha! Have thought about that.

@Ownyrvoice I’m hoping you do it.

Probably none. But, you can just decline to pray yourself and amuse yourself by watching everyone else while they pray. 🙂

The argument is that it is better to believe that there is no God than to believe that there God exists.

Makes sense...to us.

It's kinda putting yourself out there, but you could insist that they honor all religions, not just xianity. So one meeting, you insist on a Buddhist prayer, and the next a Jewish prayer, Native American prayer, Pagan, etc. If they want to pray, let's pray, but we're gonna keep it inclusive!

Why not? Thought about it.

No need to cooperate. Just keep sitting, and read a Kindle book while they pray.

If someone tries to lecture you, just look bored and say, "Um-hum..that's nice," then walk away.

I have been in a Christian-based halfway house (for a place to live) and they were worse than most other christians I have EVER met! When I left, they had some very personal belongings (i.e. original birth certificate and original social security card) and I still haven't gotten them back. Also, after I left I found out that they were spreading rumors that I was "possessed by the devil" all because I have a mental illness. I have also been in a christian-based shelter (twice) because it was better than being homeless. At the shelter, for every meal they had prayer. I didn't in that because of my own beliefs. Very few people noticed and gave me a problem with that.

None, nothing you can or should do, just close your mind, think kind thoughts and be polite.

Cite Langston Hughes, Jimmy Baldwin, Barbara Jordan, A Phillip Randolph and DOZENS OF OTHER GREAT BLACK Atheists including Barack Hussein Obama SENIOR gawd less daddy to prez 44

To OP: unfortunately it sounds like you need to just move on. I miss some of the people from my old church, but then again when I became atheist, they didn't seem to care or still continue a relationship. That hurt to realize these people I considered friends did not feel the same toward me, but I moved on and learned to only value relationships that have merit and real value. Much like spring cleaning the house, pain in the ass while you're doing it, but you feel so much better and enjoy your home much more after.

I hear you.

I appreciate every response to this question and I have learned from every one of you. Unlike some of you, I find religions increasingly depressing and unbearable. I think it is time to leave. It's sad because I will miss the company of these people.

Not pushing, just sayin, UU works for me. no dogma and very open minded people of all disbeliefs.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm a participating member of a local 501☕(19). As part of the meeting ritual of order that is handed down by the national organization to which we belong and holds our charter, we recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have two prayers, an opening prayer and one to remember our national home. I'll stand and remove my cap for the prayers, however that's as far as my participation goes for those. I also recite most of the Pledge of Allegiance. I'm ok with that, but can understand and appreciate why someone may want to completely withdraw from sectarian portions of an organization's ritual.

Yes, been in that position far too often. You can't reason with fools. Just lead by quiet example.

Any sitting of the house of commons in the UK starts with prayers. A backbench MP (not a member of the govt or opposition cabinet) cannot get a seat (there are less seats than MPs) and therefore cannot speak in any debate without first attending said prayers, It also requires an allegiance to the monarch (the reason why Sinn fein MPs do not sit at Westminster). There are many atheist, and Muslim MPs who Instead of standing and facing the back wall, simply remain seated. This does not interfere with the process of govt. Just one of the many hypocrisies that us atheists have to endure.

Sad.

i have not been in that situation but you could, i suppose, suggest a silent moment that can be used for prayer but which leaves the time open for just plain thought (or waiting, imagining your favorite song, or whatever) instead of religion-specific, god-specific prayer. it might not go over. if it doesn't, then you have to decide whether you're going to just smile and put up with it or find another group to belong to, since this one doesn't respect your "religious beliefs" (yes i know that would be lack of religious belief but that's not how to present it to them). have you made it clear how MUCH it bothers you, and why? of course they may see this, no matter how gently presented, as an attack. anyone who can't see how solipsistic this behavior is might well become defensive of it. the less able they are to defend the behavior logically, the more stubbornly they may cling to it. i am sad to say i do not buy the "culture rather than faith" explanation for ANY kind of christianity. for judaism, yes. for christianity -- unless they're talking about santa claus, no.

you could also come late and leave early, making quite clear why.

what would they do if there were muslims or jews there? (i don't mean to assume absolutely that there aren't!) also if you could clarify for me whether you mean african, which is what you said, or african-american, which i do not wish to assume. i will assume you mean exactly what you said unless corrected, and that puts me rather in the dark about the exact nature of the group (which might be irrelevant to the question) and the nature of the prayer (which might or might not be relevant).

g

Extending to the comment that the opening/closing should be non-denominational and open to all beliefs, you could offer to give a secular invocation such as the following given by Dan Nerren, founder of Atheist Community of Tulsa, at the Tulsa City Council Meeting on August 30, 2012.

*Let us open our hearts to the welfare of all people in our community by respecting the inherent dignity and worth of each person, and realize our differences of race, religion, and party affiliation are merely superficial. Our common humanity unites us all, and may we recognize that through our interdependence we share a common fate.

*In order to achieve the greatest good as citizens of Tulsa, it is important for us to maintain an open mind, and honor and respect the human rights of each other. We should consider the benefit provided by differing perspectives, and be willing to question assumptions that serve only to obstruct our path to progress.

*Rather than bowing our heads and closing our eyes in deference, we should open our eyes widely to face the reality that confronts us, without losing sight of our ideals of what we could achieve.

*Through the prudent use of reason and compassion we can ensure the success of this great city.

*Lastly, we must remember that in the face of adversity we need not look above for answers, but instead recognize the proven potential within ourselves and in each other to overcome any challenges we face.

Thank you.

More examples can be found at the link below.

As you point out, if it is cultural to say something, then provide alternatives somethings to say.....

I like it! Thanks.

If the group is important to you, but unlikely to change, I would just stand silently and wait until they're done. If it is so ingrained, they're not going to change it. If it is where you work, walking out while they're doing it singles you out. If you don't work there, but still wish to be included in other things the simple act of standing there staring at a wall until they're done shows that whole 'team player' things. I mean, I'm not a fan. I'm not even a fan of this 'team player' culture the US seems to have kickin, but it is the most effective way to stay in the circle and get things done if that is what you want.

It's time for you to move on. That's how I handle it and it always ends up for the better for me, its way better then prayer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:159392
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.