Agnostic.com

52 0

If necessary to testify in court would you put your hand on the bible?

People in courts have to place their hand on the bible to swear they're telling the truth (ironic I know) so would YOU or not and what would you say to the court about not doing it?

K9Kohle789 8 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes absolutely. It’s just a book of fairy stories with no Inate power or force. Paper and ink. The fear of repocussion from perjury is at least real . I dislike Islam with a vengeance but I’d even swear on the Quran . Then most likely spit on it afterwards.

Googled this one "Atheists are allowed to "solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm" instead of swearing." (To tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth). I know someone just posted this in response to something else the other day? So in any case - no not swearing on a book I believe is fantasy. They might as well substitute Harry Potter!

Harry Potter is much more plausible than the bible...

It is my understanding, that at least on the left coast, you are asked to swear or affirm. You don't need to make a scene unless you want to...

I would so swear on HP!! I solemnly swear I am up to no good!

When I was getting my divorce I had to stand up and raise my hand and swear to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God. When he said that I just started laughing. The judge just looked at me strangely and I said sure why not. I think I would totally swear on the Bible so if I lied who cares I swore on something that is a big lie in the first place.

@EmmanuelArmah no. I am with someone.

If I have to testufy I will ask for the Constitution

Why not? If it makes them feel better... A liar is a liar bible or no bible

I guess I would. Because it would take much much much less time and effort than explaining to a courtroom about my lack of beliefs

Being in contact with the bible never altered the composition of my skin. So I will swear on anything you put in front of me. Is not my burden to value my swearing.

@JWDiaz I knew you weren't that bad of a human being.

I would swear on The Constitution.

Which part the true intend ideas have become so twisted that the true meaning means nothing.

@azzow2 Come again?

@RoboGraham If you read the original Constitution and compare it to what is written for modern laws in a lot of the cases you will think WTF.

@azzow2 Yes, we certainly have some ridiculous laws.

Sure, why not. I am pledging to tell the truth not belief or allegiance to the bible. Just because I don't fear divine retribution doesn't mean I don't have enough integrity to tell the truth

Actually, my job in Georgia requires me to prosecute environmental violations in court. My first time the Judge asked me to swear on the bible I explained that I could but it would mean nothing to me because I am an Atheist. He was only slightly taken aback. Then he asked if I would swear to the court. I said sure.

Only if I intended lying. In Oz, few people put their hand on the bible these days, instead we just affirm we will speak the truth, breaching this is still perjury.

I think I'd try to talk to the judge in chambers and say, hey, if you are cool with me swearing on a book that I have no reverence for, then fine, ill do it. But isn't there a more appropriate way for me to demonstrate that I take this seriously? I love the swearing on the constitution idea. And since perjury is a criminal offense, shouldn't people swear on the Criminal Code of the Jurisdiction?

I've had to testify, however I did not have to put my hand on anything. Just raised it and affirm that I will tell the truth. Even if I had to put my hand on the Bible I would. It's not like I'm planning on lying or anything.

No, it would mean nothing to me. I would swear on the US Constitution.

I'd do it.

I like @ashleyrenee comment. Think I'll ask for that.

For me, it would either be the US Constitution or a copy of Harry Potter 😉

You can be sworn in on anything as I understand it. Some people choose to he sworn in on the US Constitution and, if I were in that position, I think that's what I would do.

I would write, memorize, and recite a short, pithy rhyming poem about how my word is trustworthy because I have integrity and not because I make some pro forma oath. And then if they still want me to affirm I'd do that. With a snotty smirk.

Very very few places require any "book" to swear on, you can simply affirm you intend to tell the truth. A non-issue for years

@EmmanuelArmah I. Not your "dear"
2. Why exactly would I want to chat?

To save my ass you bet I would or help save or convict someone too if I was passionate about the subject. it doesn't mean I believe a word of it.

This is a contplating thought you have to put your hand on a book based on lies to take an oath to tell the truth.

If the witness is a Jew, do they swear only on the Old Testament?

It is a false dilemma. The bible thing is a common way of being sworn in there is no part of US law that requires it or even suggests it. You can tell them you want to swear on a different book or affirm. I have had to and I just affirmed.

However if there was a situation where that was the only option I would because me feeling slightly uncomfortable doesn't compare to the damage I could cause someone else for failing to tratify.

I don’t find it compromising, so yes. But I would internally chuckle.

Sure, I know it is just a book, it isn't going to affect me and it is a tradition of the courts.

My job makes it difficult, I represent a company and let’s face it, if I admit I’m an atheist the jury would probably side with the plaintiff! Sucks, believe me!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.