Agnostic.com

52 0

If necessary to testify in court would you put your hand on the bible?

People in courts have to place their hand on the bible to swear they're telling the truth (ironic I know) so would YOU or not and what would you say to the court about not doing it?

K9Kohle789 8 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There were years when I would have refused, but I think I'd do it now. I'd have to laugh, but I'd do it.

Absolutely not. There is no requirement for that anyway or for any oath you take dealing with our government. When I joined the military I just affirmed at the end of my oath as well as for my reinlistment.

No, and you don’t have to

That's actually not a law. You can swear on any book based on your religion or none at all if you don't have one so no i would not because i don't have to

Why must I swear to tell the truth with my hand on a book of lies???

Life is full of irony isn't it.

Sure, then I'd get to lie my ass off. That is how it works, right?

No. Just take an oath.

No, I would not. You are no longer required to swear on a bible in court

If I am giving testimony in some type of court proceeding, and was asked to swear on a Bible, I'd just play along and say it. Verses arguing with the judge, lol, and one thing you do not want is the judge being pissed at you ????????.

Yes absolutely. It’s just a book of fairy stories with no Inate power or force. Paper and ink. The fear of repocussion from perjury is at least real . I dislike Islam with a vengeance but I’d even swear on the Quran . Then most likely spit on it afterwards.

Simple answer NO,

No.

Iffy Level 5 Jan 18, 2018

Sure why not...I don't lie because of a fear of hell... Why would it bother me to pacify idiots? If they think that makes people more honest then they deserve whatever they get...a liar is a liar ...bible or no bible...

When I lived in New Jersey, I had jury duty and they do not require it. I have been called in for the same next week, but I live in western PA now, so I'm hoping they don't. I posted a question about this. Someone mentioned putting my hand on the Constitution, which I would love, if they allow it. Not sure what I'll do next week. In NJ, I always got picked to stay on the jury - 3 times (child molesting, murder and malpractice).

Someone else said that atheists in Arkansas can't server on jury duty, can't hold public office and can't serve as witnesses at trials. I found that shocking.

no, and by the way, it is NOT necessary. court does not require that. you do not have to swear. you only have to affirm. so it's moot.

g

I’d swear on the Constitution of the USA. At least it’s nonfiction and was written by intelligent people.

It is an accepted convention leftover from founding fathers . Jews, muslims etc do it as required by law maybe unfair but thats the way it is for now

I just do it. Their belief is something to talk about but then and there isnt the right time.

I looked at them with complete disdain and requested to affirm my testimony on something not fictional... yeah I was young and bratty but I'd prob do it again

Originally a man wold put his hands on his balls. Hence the word "testify"

I guess I would just tell them that I decline to do that because I don't believe in it and that also that I am the son of a judge and fully understand the importance of truth in courts, so they can each believe me or not.

No. In fact when I was sworn in as a juror, I left the phrase "so help me God" out and no one did anything about it.

No the truth is the truth I don't need any help doing that.

No. I would ask for a copy of the Constitution and swear on that.

No - and don't have to here in the UK.

Wasn't an issue, I just had to affirm that I would tell the truth.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.