Agnostic.com

52 0

If necessary to testify in court would you put your hand on the bible?

People in courts have to place their hand on the bible to swear they're telling the truth (ironic I know) so would YOU or not and what would you say to the court about not doing it?

K9Kohle789 8 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I guess I would. Because it would take much much much less time and effort than explaining to a courtroom about my lack of beliefs

To save my ass you bet I would or help save or convict someone too if I was passionate about the subject. it doesn't mean I believe a word of it.

Yes absolutely. It’s just a book of fairy stories with no Inate power or force. Paper and ink. The fear of repocussion from perjury is at least real . I dislike Islam with a vengeance but I’d even swear on the Quran . Then most likely spit on it afterwards.

If I am giving testimony in some type of court proceeding, and was asked to swear on a Bible, I'd just play along and say it. Verses arguing with the judge, lol, and one thing you do not want is the judge being pissed at you ????????.

Very very few places require any "book" to swear on, you can simply affirm you intend to tell the truth. A non-issue for years

@EmmanuelArmah I. Not your "dear"
2. Why exactly would I want to chat?

No, I would not. You are no longer required to swear on a bible in court

No. Just take an oath.

Sure, then I'd get to lie my ass off. That is how it works, right?

Why must I swear to tell the truth with my hand on a book of lies???

Life is full of irony isn't it.

Sure, they've just given me permission to lie.

A bible, never. I would swear by the Constitution or the UCMJ when that was appropriate.

No - and don't have to here in the UK.

Wasn't an issue, I just had to affirm that I would tell the truth.

That's actually not a law. You can swear on any book based on your religion or none at all if you don't have one so no i would not because i don't have to

No. I would ask for a copy of the Constitution and swear on that.

No, and you don’t have to

No the truth is the truth I don't need any help doing that.

Absolutely not. There is no requirement for that anyway or for any oath you take dealing with our government. When I joined the military I just affirmed at the end of my oath as well as for my reinlistment.

No. In fact when I was sworn in as a juror, I left the phrase "so help me God" out and no one did anything about it.

I guess I would just tell them that I decline to do that because I don't believe in it and that also that I am the son of a judge and fully understand the importance of truth in courts, so they can each believe me or not.

There were years when I would have refused, but I think I'd do it now. I'd have to laugh, but I'd do it.

Originally a man wold put his hands on his balls. Hence the word "testify"

I looked at them with complete disdain and requested to affirm my testimony on something not fictional... yeah I was young and bratty but I'd prob do it again

My job makes it difficult, I represent a company and let’s face it, if I admit I’m an atheist the jury would probably side with the plaintiff! Sucks, believe me!

I just do it. Their belief is something to talk about but then and there isnt the right time.

It is an accepted convention leftover from founding fathers . Jews, muslims etc do it as required by law maybe unfair but thats the way it is for now

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.