Agnostic.com

12 1

Should money continued to being spent on a mission to Mars when so much money is needed for research here on earth?

Marine 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The poor will always be with us. Does that mean we can never strive for better things?

The emphasis at this time is earth ,overpopulation and the uneducated that are doing this. This needs to be solved today and mars can wait.

Believe it or not, we spend more money on Lip Balm, according to NdGT

While I would find a human mission to Mars exciting and interesting, it would not have much scientific value. The science can be done better with robots.

If we want to do science then we should send robots. If we are serious about staying there and maybe colonizing it - then we should send people.

I do not think the Mars mission is worth the cost.

The way folks keep screwing things up on earth, we need another planet. The sooner the better. Don't forget to,plenty of sunscreen. The lack of a dense atmosphere means more UV rays to deal with. Or, you are right. Spend the money to fix this planet. it does seem better suited for us humans.

Yes - there are OTHER misuses of money, indeed many of them, but exploring and searching for new knowledge is not one of those misuses.

We can keep the space program but science needs to work on food and water production as starvation and the lack of water are going to be issues for war if not corrected by 2050.

Some of the greatest advancements we have had come as a result of the space program.

Iffy Level 5 Jan 20, 2018

Would not stop space program only trip to mars.

This can be done with robots at this time

Yes, Total Recall exposed corruption there that we need to deal with. 🙂. The drive for exlploration seems to be a primal instinct driving mankind IMO, kind like why to we climb mountains. Not being able to do that myself is a bummer, but because it’s there is inspiring.

“The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space - each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision.”

Would not stop space exploring just mars mission which can be done with robots at this time.

I'd rather see it spent on earth-infrastructure.

We have enough funds worldwide to solve all of the issues on this planet and still plan Mars missions. We just don't have the desire.

Duke Level 8 Jan 20, 2018

I believe humanity needs it's dreams as well - so yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16836
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.