Agnostic.com

29 0

How do you relax?

I've always been high strung. I have PTSD, but don't want to constantly medicate. Meditation doesn't work. I feel prayer is a waste of time. When I feel an anxiety attack coming on I medicate. What works for you or have you just learned to enjoy it?

gzman02 3 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hobby I enjoy that keeps my mind occupied, like working on dance choreography or cross stitch or doing other crafts.

Pretty much what I'm doing now, ashtray and backy close by, coffee within grabbing distance, laptop on my lap, feet on a small table, tele on with, in this case, The Martian coming up 🙂

Believe it or not that's exactly how I am set up at the moment. Only difference is that I am watching Fortitude.

I watched it. Not a bad film. N a smoke every ad break (i don't smoke in the house) ?

Smoke a fat joint

A good hand rolled cigar on the back deck, perhaps paired with a good scotch on the rocks or old-fashioned.

Tai chi works for me. Not breathing necessarily, just focusing. It's like yoga, but you can imagine yourself punching people. With more time, I suggest painting. It can be like trapping emotions in a cage, then you can analyze later.

A long, early morning walk helps, as it resets your thyroid for higher energy and an elevated mood.

Also, you could try inexpensive CBD oil, sold in most health food stores, since studies show it relieves ptsd, depression and anxiety.

"A 2015 study concluded that CBD oil is a promising treatment for numerous forms of anxiety, including social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Link: [medicalnewstoday.com]

Sometimes I find it helps to write. I keep a blank notebook and open it up and just let whatever's there to pour out. It helps me refocus and/or see things from a different perspective... Sometimes drawing or painting helps me, too, helps me visualize my anxiety. Both are good ways to get away from self-judgment which often accompanies feelings of overwhelm for me.

Read

Hop on my mean motor scooter and ride.

I've always enjoyed tossing one or two back at the local pub with my pals. I like a bowl and music on the back porch. I can get lost in a good novel. I am about a month away from getting a doggie, that works wonders. Pocket billiards can be very zen. Good luck, partner.

I go for long walks in the woods or forests.

I can also relax if I am just home by myself... the cats dont' count. they don't cause me stress lie people do.

daily I stop at a park on my way home from work find a nice spot where no one is and just sit and meditate but I wouldn't call it meditation cuz I just stare blindly into space and let my mind wander.

I walk in the woods with the dog and a paddle in the stream, pick a few blackberrys and Cobb nuts and taking pictures of strange looking mushrooms. Breathe in and relax.

Libby Level 4 Sep 5, 2018

My brain can't relax. It's 100 mph at all times.

I can totally relate to that. It is the one thing l really don't like about myself. ☺

I relax by going for walks. Radio on my favourites smooth and magic or of really stressed out a DVD goes on of favorite film or my that'll be the day show no not buddy holly comedy routine and songs from 60s to 80 s

sunnn Level 4 Oct 5, 2018

I watch Netflix with a family member or youtube.

Take a nap. Drink some chamomile tea or hot chocolate. Watch some cat videos or something thAt will make you laugh or make you go "awh".

Exercise, yoga and meditation.

Weed booze sports and sex(partner or solo)...not necessarily all at once but sometimes

Literally, we cannot right things like PTSD, anxiety, panic, depression by mediating. No positive thoughts nor yoga nor eating healthy can make it better. It can help ease the struggle that's the best you can hope. These self help suggestions are normally prompted by the health care community. Certainly it's much better that you treat you verses your health insurance paying for your treatment.
Insurance companies won't mention CBD nor Kratom. Both have proven very effective in fighting pain, anxiety, depression and easing PTSD. If we are willing to include natural healing activities we should include natural botanicals as part of that heaiing.

I don't, I think relaxation is overrated.

I used to go to the gym. But since the accident that has been put on hold. Now I meditate (and imagine a normal hand).

Only time I get anxious is the time when I'm putting something off that needs doing. When I was younger I used to panic about mortality, work, what other people thought of me... you know..."life". Somehow I stumbled on to something I call Zen. Don't know if it really is because it's like a self-diagnosis. I just surrender myself to what is "now" and do my best to enjoy it.

i have ptsd too but i have no medication for it, and i have no technique other than to avoid triggers. i tell people about it so they won't trigger me. how do i not freak out visibly when triggered? i don't know. i don't know how i do it. sometimes i burst into tears, so oops, i am not visibly calm. other times i jump inside but don't show it, and calmly ask for the trigger to stop. (i awoke during eye surgery when i was three; some triggers are being tilted back, especially unexpectedly; needles (and i am diabetic, so i have to take samples but i am not at this time insulin-dependent); pointing near my eye; touching my eye. my guy has alzheimer's so he forgets and does some pointing, and then instead of apologizing he argues that he was nowhere near me. that doesn't make life easy! but on-the-spot calming might (if i remember!) include deep breathing and, in the case of a blood draw, "losing" the arm and warning the phlebotomist that i will likely cry. calming down if i am alone just thinking about triggers would involve distraction, ANY kind of mental distraction: the initial game, a song, whatever.

i don't know if this will help but i hope it does.

g

Find a place in the Woods and get Naked and let it lead you to where ever and it will take you on a trip.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:171863
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.