Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (301 - 308)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Considering how contagious some STDs are, I'm going to say that everyone should have at least one layer of protection between their genitals and things I might touch.

[slate.com]
[besafemeds.com]

Unfounded fear

@jondspen yeah, okay,I took care of my brother in law as he died of AIDS, 6'3" , 83lbs at the end. You can bet your ass after cleaning up fountains of bodily fluids as he wasted away over 6 months, I got tested! Clothing is a sanitary barrier, just look at how operating room personnel are dressed, for the protection of Everyone in there.

Of course.

zesty Level 7 Feb 27, 2019

Should be 100% legal just like MJ or alcohol... It's your choice.

Nope! Purely on a hygiene basis. The pelvic area, including genitals and anus should be covered. I do not want to, and would not, sit on public transport or public area seating that I knew had just been vacated by a nude person. Did they clean themselves after their last piss/shit? Do they have a communicable disease?

I have no objection to nude bodies, and certainly Ihave spent many, many hours on beaches largely populated by nude or semi nude people. No problem. But there is a line, and sharing areas of communal physical contact, even in absentia, is over my line.

Hygenic concerns seems to be pretty universal. However puttign that aside, I think peopel shoudl have the choice of whether or not to wear clothing, rather than have clothing be required by law (for other than hygienic reasons).

You're hygiene argument is ridiculous. People wipe their ass, hold their penis after urinating - all with their hands. Yet we shake hands with people without being disgusted, we open door that people have touched, we handle money that has been circulating in the community daily. Hell, I bet most of use have even participated in a work or social pot luck, with no concern about the cleanliness of the person's home that brought the food. Hygiene issues are more mental than actually founded.

[slate.com]
[besafemeds.com]

@jondspen There’s a difference between what you don’t know, and what you do know. If I did know that someone hadn’t washed their hands, or other necessary bits, after going to the loo, I wouldn’t touch them. If I knew someone’s kitchen was a cess pit, I wouldn’t eat or drink anything they’d touched, let alone cooked.

We do worry overmuch about hygiene, but there are limits. If you’d be happy to sit where someone else’s shitty arse had been, good luck to you. But I’m wouldn’t be. And I’m allowed.

@KevinTwining Again, most people I know use toilette paper, and don't have an inch of shit smeared across their ass, so your argument isn't really based on reality. Plus, even when I sit in a chair to get dressed, my A hole isn't all up on the cushion. Maybe people with extreme flat asses have this problem, but most people I know have their anus in a crack that doesn't directly touch the chair. And the only difference between knowing there is microscopic shit on a bathroom doorknob and not knowing when you touch it - is that you don't know. Same microbs still get on your hand. But thank you for replying without any data or references, just your opinion. That make so much better an argument than my two links.

@jondspen Give it up mate. You’re becoming tiresome.

@jondspen in the "today" of diseases that cannot be cured, spread by bodily fluids, you are an IDIOT!!!!!

Although the thought of seeing topless and nude women walking the streets is a nice one it wouldn't fly here because there will always be that one who messes things up for everyone else.

I've seen video of topless women walking around New York (being topless is legal there), and although the videos seem to indicate that mos tpeople just ignore it, I am sure there is always those few people who do mess it up often enough to keep others from feeling safe and comfortable doing it themselves.

I know in Portland (OR), where I have been on several naked bike rides, the peopel generally just shrug and go on with their lives.

Absolutely. We've let religions make us ashamed of ourselves, see our bodies as 'obscene' for much too long. Freedom from the requirement of clothing would be a good step in reversing this ridiculous trend.

Yes public nudity should be 100% legalized. If you agree it would be greatly appreciated if you sign this petition.

[change.org]

it probably should not be for fat ppl. if i were religious i would say fat naked ppl exposing their vast expanses are an abomination under god's eyes.
i spent 3 1/2 yrs in europe & can remember some of these gross individuals on the french riviera ( st tropez) that looked like beached whales. these were just public beaches but it was not against the law then to be nude.

What is or isn't attractive is learned and has changed over time. In the middle ages plumpness was considered ideal. In Samoa, to this day, fat is considered to be attractive. ideals of beauty are cultural and learned. They can be unlearned too, where peopel just accept each other for who they are instead of an unrealistic ideal driven by advertising.

To me not feeling ashamed of one's own body is an ideal worth fighting for. It goes a logn way towards good self esteem to accept oneself as is.

@snytiger6 , ppl accepting their bodies the way they are is destroying your health care system.
the # of obese, & morbidly obese ppl in the US is astonishing. a high % of ppl with C19 are obese & die. they end up on ventilators & the hospitals charge obsene amounts of money to keep them alive but many don't make it.

@callmedubious Ironically, it is often the lack of self acceptance that leads people to eat to the point of obesity. Because they don't accept themselves, they eat to get some emotional satisfaction.

If you look at a country like Germany, were nudity is a lto mroe accepted, peopel there dont' over eat so mcuh.

Also, a good part of obasity in America is the lack of nutrition in the goods they eat. When a food is poor in nutrients but high in calories, a person eats more of it because the body doesn't stop being constantly hungry until its nutritional needs are met, and you can't get nutrition form junk food.

@snytiger6 , i was stationed in germany for 3/12 yrs & while there were many hefty deutchers at that time (early 1980s) i didn't really notice many that would be considered obese.
i think a lot of that has to do with the German's love of the outdoors. they have trails everywhere & love to get out & "wander" as they refer to it.
you're right about the poor nutrition.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.