Agnostic.com

32 3

When do you feel safe to talk about your beliefs/nonbeliefs?

Does anyone else feel like that one kid who knows Santa isnt real, but understands they have to let the other kids find out for themselves so they play along? I've noticed that some atheists will out themselves casually (even abrasively) and others are slightly more concerned with preserving the houses of cards that the people around them have constructed, saving their atheological discussion for private. Is it better to be 100% honest about conviction in there not being a god, or is it more respectful to be evasive so that you keep it to yourself? What balance do you find to be the most respectful of yourself and of others?

Savethebees 3 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

100% out, all the time. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I have never felt unsafe due to my A-theism and non-belief.

Perhaps the bigger question is in what way is it that you don't feel safe? Do you not know why you don't share their religious convictions? Is it the verbiage that has you stumped? It's much better to be genuine.

Places like this are all I have.

I don’t hide my lack of belief

I so enjoy the shock & awe in the expresion. Less so now a days but in the past those in Mexico would gasp & cross themselves. Here it is a blank stare but with eye contact. As if stopped in their tracks. Then there is an audible "oh". Nothing more to say. I used to be a novelty. My spouse used to answer when the question came, that he was a "Satanist". He got laughter....mostly.

The strange thing about admitting you are atheist is that you get asked if you "worship Satan." It shows how ignorant people really are, plus why do you have to "worship" anything. Yet, the stupid preacher is telling you how you worship your car, money, your wife, etc.

That is comical of them to assume that Satan is always involved. In an insignificant planet in the backwaters of 2-4 hundred billion stars, in a mass of billions of galaxies, Satan is important

"I have been an atheist since age 13," I reply firmly.

It is important to normalize the word "atheist" with Christians. I call myself an atheist with strength and pride.

I'm not afraid to tell anyone if they ask, otherwise I just don't talk about it

I don't feel unsafe talking about my atheism, but I'm not going to walk up to people and start talking about my beliefs and how they should be just like me. I'm not a Christian, lol. I feel like a person's beliefs are, well, personal and there are places where it would be rude to randomly talk to someone (whether a person you know or don't) about religious beliefs. Now if someone is persistent and I've given several hints that I don't want to talk about it, then they've opened the flood gates.

I've never been a believer, I was lucky enough to have not grown up in a religious household, So I've never had the 'Coming out' experience.
I've always been open about my non-belief to every one.
In fact some of my best friends are believers and we get along great.
I've never been one to be pushy, even in a discussion or a debate, i will still be cordial, and in turn they are the same way with me.

There have been some times where some one was an asshole about it (and I've seen that from both sides).
Normally I just walk away from that.

Anyplace where discussion is started. Me, personally, I'm a deist, I do believe in god but not in any organized religion. I respect others their rights to believe or not. Even if we don't believe the same thing take the stance that we agree to disagree. What's right for one person my be totally wrong for another

I understand Deism as I'm sure so many did in the 1700's before science as we know it today came into play. Deism explains how everything got created but then the god being went away. The reason that I rejected Deism is that I'm not so sure we can ever know. Such a being would be unknowable but yet explain creation of the universe. I'm starting to believe that the universe itself may be this "god" and that it has always been around in one form or another. Again, we simply do not know.

It depends on the context/situation. If I am asked any question directly, I will answer it as honestly as I can, again based on the circumstances. I feel no compunction to state my position on any matter at any time and the tailoring I do is only to avoid confrontational situations because I find them non productive.

i generally feel safe. i was in a cab once with a driver who was a trump supporter and i felt a little fearful then. there was no reason why the conversation should turn to religion, and it didn't, but he had a political radio station on and i did feel he was sufficiently aggressive for me to keep my mouth shut about pretty much everything. i do not evade the topic or lie about my atheism when it comes up. sometimes i even bring it up.

g

Yes, I like to point out that while we disagree about his/ her god, we actually agree about thousands of others.

JimG Level 8 Sep 6, 2018

I'm open with my non-belief but on those occasions when I find myself having to attend a church event: marriage, funeral, homosexual de-conversion, snake handling ceremony, etc... I will play along. So when we reach the parts where the congregation stands and talks to god or kneels and prays, or whatever silly shit they do in response to the pastor's cues, I'll go through the motions although I'm rolling my eyes and shaking my head while doing it.

If someone asks I will not hide it but I don't go around bringing it up. Unless I have too many beers.

We should be respectful to others believes. It might cause them to commit suicide or some other crazy stunt. We should gently convince them to leave the land of fairy tales and join us in reality.

I am open and honest with my close friends and family. I don't bother bringing it up with most people, especially the older folks who are set in their ways.

As far as discussion, I will talk with anyone as long as we set a time to do so and have a real debate. Few ever take me up on this, because it means they have to play defense too. The fact is to many I am going to hell. It is not a real place, but to them it is a certainty. Knowing they think that is surreal.

If I were you, I would sit down and list the people to whom being honest is important and you care to be at that level of intimacy with. I do and think things everyday I don't share with most people. The ones you do want to share with matter, and with them I would be honest. Some might not stick with you, but the best ones will.

Over time, word of your godless ways will spread and more and more people will know you for who you are. Many won't care, some will be angry and some will applaud you, though most will do so silently. Don't make a grand gesture, allow quiet thoughtfulness to be your ally. Know what you base your stance in. Read the books, know the science, and even know the holy texts they hold as true. In time the world will follow in your footsteps, and you will have wasted no time on the ethereal.

Best of luck.

I am fairly quietly spoken and don't get very heated about anything I just trundle along it seems to me that the least important thing about me is that I don't have and never had a god so if people ask, I tell them quietly and they usually go on their way none the wiser- I don't really see that it matters I respect their godliness I would expect them to respect my ungodliness it usually works as I am fairly well respected here & so people would probably make up thier own excuses for me - I do a fair amount of work here for charity so that gets me a few 'brownie points' and a 'get out of jail free' card.

I'm surrounded by devout Christians, and have been all my life. I hear people talk about atheists sometimes and never in a good way. If I came out, I know it would hurt me in my family relationships and at work. I prefer to keep quiet about it except to my wife and sister. I do belong to some local atheist groups, and that gives a place to be myself. I really would like to be more open about it, but it's a tough decision for me.

Ill mention it if the topic of conversation is already on religion, or something of the sort. I don't like to throw it at people, but I won't try and hide it either. And if somebody wants to fight me over it (wouldn't be the first time) I mean, I don't know how to fight, but a moshpit is like a second home to me so I can take more hits then can be dished out XD

For me, I pretty much just let people be. I don't make it known unless someone says something really ridiculous. I feel they need to lean on religion for a reason and who am I to take that away from them.

Where I live it's not as intense as say like when people live in the Bible Belt it doesn't come up that often and I generally find it easy to avoid the situation and if I do choose to talk about it I generally talk about it with people who are of the same mindset as I am

I say whatever I want, however, very few people are interested. I’m not actually an atheist but I am down on Christianity in general. I’m afraid I might have offended an elderly cousin with my stance, and now I wish I’d been more tactful. Too late now.

IMO, the question of God is an open case and there is no final solution. It depends on what sort of God you are talking about. In the final analysis no one really knows.

I don’t take the route of being in the center of the conversation with it. I, however, don’t take any detours to avoid it in anyway. For hostile engagements, like goldenvalleyguy, I hold no punches, take no prisoners and reserve no respect. If people are friendly debating, I get excited to casually direct them to a different way of seeing shit. But usually ends hostile. Haha. Those who haven’t though of it are subjected to a small array of info for them to decipher themselves. Not being their home wrecker.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:172930
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.