Agnostic.com

237 27

Boyfriend is agnostic, I'm an atheist. How to cope with disagreements?

So lately, I have been discussing my views with my boyfriend because he's one of the very few I can open up to about being an atheist (due to living in the bible belt and having many religious friends). When it comes down to our difference in views, we begin to butt heads a little because he seems to lean towards the Christian view of a god being the cause of the universe and has no logic to support his argument. I will ask, then who created God or what could his origin possibly be? And he will say nothing, just that God was the beginning of everything. Then he will try to backpedal and say "only IF there is a god would this be the case" but it's obvious he believes it or really wants to. He grew up with a dad who was Jehova's witness and a Catholic mother so he was influenced probably a lot more than I was as a child by religion. I know it can be difficult to let those ideas go but what bothers me is that he defends the ideas with no logic. He even defends the bible as being a good guide to life, NEVER HAVING READ IT. I have, as I was forced to attend confirmation classes, and I suggested he do so before we discuss it. He says he won't. I love him but this is so frustrating. Obviously I feel it is easier to have a relationship with someone who is agnostic than a religious person, but does anyone have suggestions for how to have these conversations without letting the differences come between a couple? I really appreciate any advice.

TaliaElizabeth92 5 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

237 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You might want to have some ground rules when it comes to talking about this subject. Perhaps come to the conclusion that you can agree to disagree. This subject is not worth jeopardizing a good relationship.

Having read the comments, most people are dealing with the relationship on a here and now basis. My piece of advice is to do with the future - what would you envisage telling your children ? That is the real deal breaker if you are going to have opposing views, think about what you would teach the next generation. Even if you never have them, it does help to show how closely allied your values are if you ask this question. Me and my other half have opposing political views, but are totally on the same sheet as regards morals, gods and religions. As a result, our children have had a secular up bringing that we both weighed in on.
Just another angle on how far you are willing to compromise.
Personally, he does not seem to use rational logic to examine his belief system......so what else would he swallow ?

Tilia Level 7 Apr 2, 2018

Both of you might look into theological noncognitivism or ignosticism, the disbelief that the row of alphabet letteds "God", "Allah", "Yahweh" have any conceptual meaning at all. You might discover that neither theists, atheists, nor agnostics have it right, because you and your boyfriend both realize that neither of you has any mental concept whatever of anything that "God" could refer to.

Your boyfriend isn't really an agnostic. It sounds like he is religious but wants it his way. People like him are why we have so damned many denominations of Christianity.
In my earlier life I wanted to know all things. Christians claim that they know. At least they "know the plan" and know how things are likely to turn out. As an atheist I cannot know. There is no possible way I can know and it is OK not to know. Without evidence I cannot know much of anything.

Agnosticism is of the essence of science, whether ancient or modern. It simply means that humans shall not say he knows or believes that which he has no scientific grounds for professing to know or believe. Thomas Henry Huxley. With that said, your BF is not an agnostic.
I also live in the Bible belt and trust me; 99.9% of the population is Christian. What is thought-provoking is the fact that Christians come in several alliances with altered theories. There are even, GOOD Christians and all other. Disconcerting is the conception that ONLY their VIEWS and analysis of the Bible are accurate and precise. Perhaps what annoys me most is numerous Christians lie (e.g. TRUMP) and these individuals want your trust. Advertising expresses; hire this person because they are a GOOD Christian.
Regarding the BF, he may be a nice guy, handsome, a good lover, but all of this not enough. He was exposed to radical religious beliefs for childhood to adulthood. Radical in the sense that the most pious Christians are devoted to Catholicism and the likes of Jehovah witness. They will never change their religious convictions and should a disagreement occur during your association; you will be the one cast out, demeaned. or offended.

I do not respect superstitious (religious) people so a potential partner that is religious is a not an option as I value truth (based on facts not faith (belief without evidence)) and respect.

This may be worth listening to.

We have wider question here and it doesn't just concern the lasses BF.
Agnostics sit on the fence so to speak. They're opportunists. If there was a god they may get 'forgiveness' where as if there was a god us poor athiests would just have to indulge in unending orgies in the fires of hell (stock up on the 50+ sunscreen lotion) just in case. Would definitely be more fun than floating around with sexless angels.

Seems to me there are a couple of different themes going on in this thread, one being the difference between an agnostic and an athiest and one being about how differences come between being a couple. I would like to address the one I think you really hoped to get some insight on (that being how can you have a relationship if you believe different things) while eluding to the other.

First of all - you can have a relationship that works if both of you are determined to do it. It won't be easy. Differences tend to come between people. What I think you have to do is remember that some differences involve what people believe and some involve what they know. When we have evidence of something in gives us knowledge of it. Belief is a choice based on personal experience.

As an example, if you know your boyfriend is 25 years older than you - and you have evidence of that because of a birth certificate, driver's license, or lines on his face - then it is something you know and you can't change it. You have to accept it.

Then there is what you believe. Belief is not based on evidence. It is based on personal experience. You believe things because in your experience it makes sense to you. If you believe you can make a relationship work and he believes it too then it is because you have some shared experience leading you to believe you can do it. If you believe you can't overcome differences and he believes you can overcome them, then you have a different set of beliefs regarding your relationship. But you don't know for sure if your relationship will work out. There is no evidence (yet, anyway). So here is where you can use your beliefs to shape your reality - or the evidence of what will be when you are in the future looking back on it. Either it will work because you believe you can make it work and that motivates you to do it. Or - it won't work because you believe the differences will come between you. The key to overcoming differences is an understanding of what belief is.

Now as to what flat-earthers believe in the face of evidence - that's a whole other story 🙂

I have no idea why he claims to be agnostic. Seems pretty clear he's a believer.

Atheism is stronger in definition because it comes from the premise there is no logical explanation for the existence of a supreme being. Equatable to santa claus, the tooth fairy, leprechauns, sprites, demons etc. I don't need to look for proof or lack of of a substance that has no relevance to my life whatsoever. Logic not arrogance influences my thinking ?

You are trying to have a relationship with someone less educated, and (it seems) less intelligent then you. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you accept it from the outset. You can either allow this to be a point of contention between you, or just accept that he simply isnt very bright, and admire/love him for what ever else it is that he brings to the relationship.

I'm reminded of the family guy episode with James Woods "oh, piece of candy. ? Oh piece of candy ? oh piece of candy ? oh piece of candy ?"
Leave little morsels of info in various ways. I'm a fan of comedy to convey the info. Stand ups, or YouTube videos playing in the background while he's busy with something else, might peek his curiosity.
Good luck

Your boyfriend sounds more like a questioning christian than an Agnostic and you can either help him with his questions or not. I was raised as a JW, they don't read the bible but they do study it selectively so it's a matter of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. I didn't read the bible cover to cover until after I left the JW's at the age of 13. It would probably help the process if you stopped referring to him as an Agnostic as it's just a crutch that keeps him from having to address the problem of his continuing belief in god. I appreciate that you are cut off from reason and common sense being stuck in the bible belt but don't sell yourself short by settling for less than you deserve. Good luck.

So, I gather by agnostic he means he doesn't know if there is a god, but believes there is one. Because it could also be he doesn't know, but doesn't believe. Example, someone could tell me they own a dog. Based on that statement alone, I have no way of knowing if they do in fact own a dog, however I would probably believe them on their word because its not an extraordinary statement. However if they told me they own a talking dog, I don't know if that's true of not just from that statement, but I wouldn't believe them because that is an extraordinary claim.
This is why the term agnostic doesn't tell you anything about belief, just a claim of unknowing. So, saying you're agnostic doesn't tell you what they do or don't believe.
What I usually do, if someone wants to discuss their belief in god/s, is try to figure out what they mean. Warning, nobody has ever been able to do this without giving me multiple and conflicting definitions. So, the claim is "some god/s exist." First, what do they mean by god? Second, what do they mean by exist? I've never gotten a clear answer for what they mean by either term, and don't be frustrated if you can't even get past question one. Because if someone tells me they believe in the god of the bible, I'm not sure what that is, I've gotten hundred of different descriptions. The more important question then, is why do they believe that. Then you have grounds for a discussion.
If however, someone says they don't believe, or they don't know if there is a god, then they aren't believing, so by definition they aren't theist, they are just an atheist who just claims not to know versus an atheist who claims to know (the latter of which I'm not convinced is a defensible position, though I agree with it). In the case of this, why discuss what he doesn't believe to be true.
As for the "god always existed" statement. That is violation of Occam's Razor. Why can't you just say that the universe always existed in some form or another (infinite regression)? Why are you adding some competent agent, like god, into the equation. It's like trying to explain a mystery by creating a bigger mystery, that's why it's important to have some idea of what they think a god and its existence are beforehand. If the argument is everything has to have a beginning then...
a) how do you know that?
b) how come god is exempt from having a begining?
Its special pleading. I'm setting up the rule that "everything has to have a beginning," then I'm saying "oh, except the first cause, that always existed." The second statement negates the first. You might look up in Google, Perci Shelley's essay, "The Necessity of Atheism," he covers this argument really well.
Hope that is helpful.

Agree on religion before you have children together, or else find someone else.

Childhood indoctrination is a very difficult thing to remove from the subconscious mind for a lot of people. It's not very often that I've seen anyone that reacts like your boyfriend, change their mind. You probably won't change his. Good luck.

As long as he respects your beliefs, I see no reason to bash his. Respect his in return. However, if he uses the difference in opinions to try to change yours, you should probably leave him. Don't expect him to change his beliefs for you, but he should respect yours and you should respect his without trying to change them. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be together.

In all likely hood, a person that believes that god created the universe but calls themself agnostic is too brainwashed and will tend to eventually return to a point even more religious than they had in the past and will probably begin to believe that you are evil.

Personally, I believe that it is also likely that to him, agnostic means "I will say what I think you want to hear as long as I get sex". Next thing you know, he will ask you to "get in the kitchen, take your shoes off and get me a beer while you make me a samich"

There will always be 2 movies playing in any relationship. How important is it for you or him to "win" a discussion? There are things you compromise on like where to eat, weekend plans, etc. Then there are things you discuss but ultimately it's not your job to convert him nor his job to convert you. The key is not to take his views personally....his views are not about you...it's about that movie playing inside his head and it's just not exactly the same viewpoint as your movie even though the characters and scenery are the same 🙂

Like that is really an issue Hell both of you do not succumb to religion, bless you.
WTF,, if your debates are getting rude and nasty then you are just not for each other but the godlessness is wonderful.

EMC2 Level 8 June 5, 2018

This boyfriend refuses to even consider your recommended action to address this conflict. That's more than just not a good sign, it is a BAD sign. If he won't cooperate with your harmless suggestion (because he's afraid of what it'll do to him / he's afraid where he'll be if he realizes his revered hidden beliefs are crap) can you really expect him to cooperate in resolving future conflicts ? This is really so obvious, as is your reluctance to break off from this wretch. As jesus didn't really say, "Heal yourselves".

The first time I read through your post I was honestly wondering what the big deal was. Then I looked at it again. I think that the fact that he doesn't seem willing to respond to any of your concerns by doing things like reading the bible is a matter of concern. As several people pointed out, this may indicate a rigidity that could make other issues in the future really difficult. I know you love him, but to borrow a phrase, sometimes love just isn't enough. You need to be valued and respected. If you don't feel that is happening now you need to intervene or it's probably just going to get worse. It's best to establish healthy relationship habits early or they often don't happen. So don't stop pushing. I hope it all works out as it needs to for you.

He doesn't seem to be really agnostic. Maybe he is a deist. He should be at least willing to read a book.

He doesn't sound very agnostic by my definition?

I guess but I don't think religion or lack thereof has to impact a relationship. I mean it is a personal choice. Now that may get tricky when kids are involved but as 2 consenting adults you can agree that what you believe is your choice and you won't try to persuade them and they won't persuade you.
I mean respect for your partners beliefs no matter what they are should be paramount. You are free to disagree of course but trying to persuade someone into your version is going to end badly...most of the time.

How old is your boyfriend?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1738
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.