Agnostic.com

67 8

Are you happy enough?

Are you content to live the rest of your life at your current average level of happiness?

skado 9 Sep 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

67 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I may not have a choice, but I hope not. I'm still getting through a rough patch.

?

What are my alternative options? I'm open to suggestions.

I'm not a happy person. That doesn't mean I'm really unhappy, either. My baseline is probably well below what most people would consider average happiness, but for me it's normal. I'm content in terms of having what I need, but beyond that it's a melancholy baseline with occasional spikes and dips.

Good question. Not sure I know.

Yep. I could die happy.

Certainly I would not feel cheated if I realized I was dying right now. It will happen when it will happen.

Not yet. I wouldn't mind raising that average 🙂 And yes, I am responsible for doing it.

I have high energy and an eccentric personality. Most people don't know how to take me. I stay positive. I have been accused of being on drugs which I loath drugs. So to answer I make my kids laugh just about every day. I think being happy is a state of mind chose to be positive and happy comes with it. No doubt that I would love to have a lady share my life. I will remain happy either way. You are responsible for your own happiness.

No, I am still recovering from total hip replacement - right hip - I am usually a patient person ( I heard it's a virtue) but I guess it does take time. Once that's outta the way I'll really be a happy camper.

I have never given another person responsibility for my happiness. There have been those who have been responsible for my unhappiness, but that is a temporary condition. I generate, and take responsibility for, my own happiness.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 15, 2018

NO. I would be more happy if I woke up Sunday morning t find I had the winning lotto ticket. At that point I would immediately hire a professional financial planner who was experienced with this sort of thing.

It would change your life, but not necessarily all for the good. You find out who you can and can't trust when that much money is at stake, sometimes too late. Still, it's a fantasy a lot of people have. Good luck with that, DP.

@zeuser Thanks. The bottom line is you cannot win if you do not play. The irony is when they ask me at the ticket counter "only one ticket?" Greed is amazing!

Nope and yes

Thanks for asking. ?

I am generally miserable, just with distractions to keep my mind off of it

I could ask for nothing better!

As I found with other things there's always room for improvement but I'm happy enough ?

I have to be my best friend and find a way to be happy. Finding a significant other would be nice but no rush.

Happiness rises and falls. Contentment is the hub of the wheel of fortune.

RichE Level 5 Apr 20, 2019

Happy enough, but there are always mushrooms, wine and grandchildren to intensify the feeling!

Yup. I'm a happy camper.

Orbit Level 7 Jan 1, 2019

No. I want to be happier!
I am always looking for things that make me happy. Mindfulness helps.

Yeah. I've learned through hard times what things I really need to both survive and be happy, and that's not really that much. Of those things, most of them are to be found the world around me, which I need access to, as opposed needing to possess. I'm lucky in that I have more than enough of such people, things and circumstances, and I've worked hard to learn about life and the world, make good choices and empower myself to not be too dependent on others for happiness. Without
dependency, when I DO find happiness through others, it seems freer, purer and more abundant..

What an incredibly bad time to ask me this particular question. No. I would not be content to live the rest of my life at my current level of happiness.

I'm forced by circumstances beyond my control to live in a country I dislike in the same house as my ex partner. Fuck no.

Sorry bro. ? which country?

@Lucignolo I moved from Australia to the UK so that my darling soon to be ex wife could follow her career. Now I have to stay here or lose contact with my kids.

@MrBeelzeebubbles That sounds pretty bad. Do your kids live the UK or Australia better?

Usually family laws tend to favor stability when it comes to kids, so, like you say, whichever situation is the most recent is usually maintained unless there are strong reasons to change. Plus family laws usually favor women over men.

It seems pretty bad that after you moved to another country to facilitate your wife’s career the relationship went south. Those things are always complex, but it looks you have sacrificed more than she has for the family.

Oh he'll no. Not at all.

Yes. I have my health, my dog, my plants, and friends and family members whom I love. I have my depressive moments, but right now I'm good.

We're always only as happy as we allow ourselves to be

BkCAT Level 4 Sep 16, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:179312
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.