Agnostic.com

79 14

Why do young guys think sarcasm is positive?

I noticed this trend in the Plenty of Fish dating website Profile Review forum, with young guys who ask for help because they get no replies to their messages.

Over 90 percent of these dateless guys called themselves "sarcastic."

Sarcasm is defined as:

1. Harsh or bitter derision or irony;
  2. A sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remarks;
  3. Bitterness, ridicule and jeer. (Dictionary.com)

“Sarcasm is really just hostility disguised as humor,” said Clifford N. Lazarus, Ph.D.

“If you want to be happier and improve your relationships, cut out sarcasm since sarcasm is actually hostility disguised as humor. Despite smiling outwardly, most people who receive sarcastic comments feel put down and usually think the sarcastic person is a jerk.”

(“Think Sarcasm is Funny? Think Again.” by Clifford N. Lazarus, Ph.D., Think Well, June 26, 2012.)

"Perhaps young men aspire to be like “the meathead clowns floating through the films of today,” said Linda Holmes in “Bad News, Men: You’re Not Very Charming” in The Atlantic on May 28, 2013.

Why do young men think sarcastic humor is positive? Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

79 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks, but I seldom consult with psychiatrists or self-help gurus before deciding to laugh at something or make a joke. If I enjoy a sarcastic sense of humor and someone else doesn't (or worse yet, takes actual offense to sarcasm when it wasn't directed at them) then that person and I wouldn't have had any possible future together anyway, and my joke about millennials just saved us both a couple pointless months or even years of dating. The better advice would be to be yourself, because if the only reason you're pretending to be Mr. UpWithPeopleShootingRainbowsOutMyAss is so you can get some pussy, you're underestimating the intelligence of the women you're aiming to dupe, you'll be found out in the long run anyway once your mask slips, and even if that doesn't happen you'll be in a relationship with someone who wouldn't accept the real you anyway. So, to paraphrase the worst movie ever to be barfed onto the silver screen, "amazing....every word you just said was wrong"

What movie are you referring to?

Because many men believe bullying is a sign of strength. (just look at the president)
Taunting and jeering others, for some reason, makes you poplar when you're a teenager. Idiots who never grow up never grow out of it.

Wow, this has to be one of the more popular posts I've seen around here in awhile. 82 comments and counting after about a day.

I agree in principle with those who point out that sarcasm is more nuanced than just thinly disguised hostility. It can be an important component in humor and need not be caustic.

However, WRT the young, I have observed that Millenials and those younger seem quite "civilly challenged" if you will. For example, they regularly shut down even their "friends" with ejaculations such as an emphatic "Shut Uuuuup!" I noticed this shift when I met my present wife and her two children who were then 15 and 16. My own kids had been out of the nest for a few years (no my wife isn't younger, I just had an earlier start), and I was rather shocked by this kind of banter between them and their friends. Some of this is standard-issue generational shock at the way social signaling has shifted since "my" day, but I think some of it is an unfortunate side effect of social media, which my kids just missed in their HS careers.

Whatever the reason, today's young people seem to lack even the limited social graces that my generation had, and it's no surprise that they are largely unaware that being crass and unkind to each other, even in alleged "jest", is detrimental to their relationships. They need to dial it down about three notches and strive to be kind and considerate. At this point I think it would be hard for them to overcompensate in that regard.

I agreed with some articles that say that by being sarcastic we can hide from the world and discuss all the issues from a (false) position of superiority like we are many steps ahead of the other person.
This is literally high performance insecurity.

@Pedrohbds

Good point.

totally agree....its easy to hide behind sarcasm.

Ah, checking out the young guys, you cougar!

@Krish55

I noticed this trend in the Plenty of Fish dating website Profile Review forum, with young guys who asked for help because they get no replies to their messages.

Over 90 percent of these dateless young guys called themselves "sarcastic" in their profiles.

For six years, I was on Plenty of Fish and was active in the forums.

My first choice is irony, second to be sardonic, sarcasm least preferred because by definition it is meant to hurt, while being ironic or sardonic is more akin to dry humor.

I have to agree. When I use sarcasm, it’s meant as irony. I never use it to hurt someone.

My sarcasm is designed to draw laughter. I will not hesitate to use myself as the target.

@Mikeb56

Me, too.

My reaction to any man on who is snarky, insulting, or sarcastic is to block/delete them and never contact them again. I don't want those types of people in my life.

If all women deleted or blocked rude men, men would be forced to alter their behavior and be more respectful if they want to date.

Now, friends, who are being snarky about Trump, or other ludicrous situations are a different matter, LOL

I partially disagree with the doctor's blanket opinion. Sarcasm may be "hostility disguised as humor," but stand-ups have been successfully sarcastic since forever. I think where sarcasm can be harmful is if YOU are the intended target. If these guys on POF are just being sarcastic assholes and directing sarcasm at women on the site, they deserve whatever they get.

I think it's for no other reason than it's a cheap laugh usually at someone else's expense. But it doesn't have to be. I use it but I know how and when to use it and it isn't used as a put down, it's about timing and knowing your audience. I use it about myself, I can laugh at myself and be sarcastic about myself but I wouldn't do it spitefully to someone else

@ipdg77

Thank you. Well said.

Sarcasm has its place amongst friends. Definitely not with strangers. I myself prefer satire, but not many of my peers know the difference. Sarcasm is too personal at times, while satire is appropriate when lampooning larger issues and inequalities.

They have been convinced that saracsm , underlying nastiness is a form of banter . Real banter is fun and good humoured but for some reason these days it is mainly used to'insult and belittle ......just a hypothesis of mine

I don't think it's just young men, or women that do it.
I love sarcasm, and satire, when it's done right.

here is an example of what I mean.
Betty Bowers's vids are some of my favorites.

@TristanNuvo

Love this video! Thank you.

@LiterateHiker
Look her up on Youyube. She's made quite a few of these.
Her sarcasm is priceless IMHO.

Lovin' that sarcasm!

So here, David Wolfe presents the positives of sarcasm (I say without a trace of sarcasm)
[davidwolfe.com]

Ahhh, the ways words' meanings change.

I really appreciate you posting a definition of the word sarcasm. so often people argue for no reason, simply because without knowing so, they have different definitions for a certain term

@ImmortalVegan

You're welcome.

If you consider a lot of things that most young men are thinking that's a minor problem.

They are on the "spectrum" ie Aspergers. Or they are just jerks.

Many confuse satiric wit with sarcasm. One is meant to sting an entire class or concept, while the other attacks an individual.

I've been on several dating apps for approximately 7yrs and I can tell you it's not just younger men.. women from their 20's to 50's think the same way.. if you find someone that's about character and integrity, snatch them up.. yes I've been single for 7yrs.. ?

You think people who use sarcasm have no character or integrity? What? Lol

@Piece2YourPuzzle they're typically shallow if that's what they're looking for so shallow=shallow character

@blackjapanx oh dear. Let's all make sweeping generalisations shall we?

Sarcasm is a shield young men (and women) who are insecure hide behind.

I’ll leave it to the master to explain! lol

I don’t feel this is isolated to only young men. I enjoy sarcasm. As well, PoF is a cess pool.

For young men sarcastic humor is like a competition with other men to see who has the sharpest wit. From what I remember from my younger days it was a bit of a macho thing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:183309
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.