Agnostic.com

48 9

Do you think there should be a high school course to teach common sense laws to teenagers?

An example of a few laws that come to mind are Rape and what constitutes it,animal rights, larceny and grand larceny, illegal drug use and drinking and the consequences of just fooling around and hurting someone. These kids have no idea how these things form a record and that it will stay with you all your life. They have no idea that it affects credit, ability to get a job or be accepted to a school. They lack common sense and this course might just prevent them from ruining a life.

Marine 8 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments (26 - 48)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Since when do we expect schools to teach the things that should be taught at home. The same people that are bitching about what the government legally does, are the same ones that were screwing off in civics class and not figuring out how to vote or get involved.

Exactly . Thank u sir .

I agree with you that it should be taugt at home but they are so engaged with their devices that they do not know how to act with people or recognize the consequences of their actions.Take the girl that pushed the other girl off a 50 foot bridge. She admited she did not realize the action might result in injury or that she could get arrested for murder if she died.

These kids also have no idea how to dodge a bullet of any sick bastard who is free to own a gun . I don't want the overwhelmed and underpaid teachers who try to teach , inspire, and on these days to stay ALIVE , to have to do mommy and daddy dirty job as well . Let's find a way to secure schools first , no more death ? And the rest mostly has to come from home . If your mom or dad is an as!?$& who drinks all day long , shoots animals for fun , using drugs and enjoying beating up who ever and whatever , I can't see what teacher will do w that . Other than getting sued probably for mentioning any suggestions / education who daddy might not like . Really , I can see that happening !

It is ashame we need armed police to guard students at a one enterance door with a metal detector and backpack survey.

@Marine and clear bottles only to bring your beverage / water . The moment a parent , and I am not one , has to explain to a middle school child y all this , I think it says a lot on where we are and where we are heading .

such courses would be ignored, just as the ones we used to see about safe driving were. we were shown grueseome films about accidents. no effect whatsoever. furthermore, tell a kid not to do something, and guess what? chances are the kid never thought of it before but NOW wants to try it!

g

Yes, I do. Kids today are pampered and no clue to deal with adversity .

Parents these days won't allow teachers to teach sex-ed or science. Imagine the rage they would bring to the table if you tried to impose common sense on their kids.
I wish it was different.

It must come from somewhere.

@Marine Yes. Best way I can think of is to raise our own children well, hope they infect their classmates with it and then apologize profusely to the parents afterwards when the damage is done. "Kids, what are you gonna do?"

A very commendable idea there, However the first thing that would need to be instigated is to teach such things to the Teachers first, things such as Respect, Honour, Decency, Community Spirit and Awareness, etc, etc, the simple things that I was taught back in my days at school ( late 50s through to the early 70s btw) and by my parents, mainly my father since my mother was NOT actually a patch on the arse of what a mother should be.
It seems apparent that kids these days are of the Me, Me, Me Generation obsessed with the " Monkey See, Monkey Do" ideology and some portion of the blame for this ideology also lays squarely upon the shoulder of their parents as well.

Well said.

@Marine Thank you. Not bad for the observations of 60+ year old fart, hey?

Geez. It seems like you want to teach them life. Can't be done in a few semesters.

I'd like to see some philosophy taught. Basic logic, Socratic questioning, Plato nothing too deep, but some basics on how to think.

True they lack all common sense and consequence of their actions

@Marine it's almost as though their brains aren't fully formed, yet!

From personal experience with my daughter when she was a junior and senior in HS it has more to do with a school system having qualified teachers. Her civics class in particular was nothing more than a teacher who trumpeted right wing propaganda every class and never really taught anything about how government works. The class you propose would be a great if schools actually had professional teachers that gave decent instruction. My daughter learned some government, not from the instructor but in spite of him. There were a few teachers that were decent but about all have left since that time. I have to believe that other areas are much better than here but the whole education system needs a reboot.

gearl Level 8 Sep 23, 2018

I would have been to the wall on that one.

One junior high s--t h--e thought he could get me expelled for not saying the Pledge of Allegiance. And dragged me down to the office

"Fred. You teach civics. You need to learn the law better than your students."

He really didn't like me after that.

But everyone in the class liked me.

All true statements

... Who even has a chequebook any more? Nearly everything I pay for doesn't accept cheques.

I don't write checks anymore...my bank's Bill Pay does on my behalf though.

I have one somewhere. I've had my current checking account for five years, and I've written at least two checks from it.

@dahermit One still needs to know that this can be done and how to do it.

As @RavenCT stated, Civics & a basic Ethics course is not a bad idea, along with a basic Economics course, such as balancing a checkbook & what interest on credit cards is. But, I also agree with @CaroleKay, "...what about the parents?" Most of those issues that you mention should be addressed from when children are very young, & explained & answered in more detail as they grow older. Schools can only do so much, especially with as underfunded as so many of them are!

Those and logical fallacies but middle school is the place to introduce those concepts.

I have this poster poster in the science resource room.

[decisionstats.com]

When I was a senior, we had Civics/Government as a requirement to graduate. Also economics was required, where I learned to balance a checkbook, how taxes worked, etc.

Totally agree. I would even volunteer to teach it. I just don't care to take care of the logistics. It can be a simple series of lectures and discussions, and not necessarily a class.

I'd like to broaden it to a course on 'Adulting'. It would include legal aspects, financial information, cooking, sewing, tire changing, house cleaning, time management, basic sexual information, parenting and relationship skills, and ethics. You might think that some of this is redundant but I don't think that a refresher course would be amiss as they're about to go out into the world. (I added the sex part because I taught a university level course on sexuality for years and could not believe the nonsense they believed to be true -- which was part of the reason that I also counseled a number of students on unwanted pregnancies!)

I would have fought to opt out of any parenting course. I knew I was child free at the age of ten.

I'm not sure it can be taught. My grandson wants to stay out of prison but he does dope and won't work. He doesn't get it that he goes before a judge who asks him right off if he has a job. Then if he gets a job he wastes all his money and expects people to take him to work for free. His brother was into dope as well and was murdered 2 years ago. These kids all insist that they live in "the real world." It's a world that I want nothing to do with.

Common sense isn't that common any more, I'm afraid.

That's way too logical and makes too much sense doubt it will ever happen it used to be a parent's responsibility to do that but now it seems like all the parents feel like it's society's job to raise their children

Curriculum varies from state to state. I believe most of the "Blue" states teach this material. Many of the "Red" states don't, because the politicians believe that teaching about it encourages it. (ugh) I've been a high school teacher in California for 34 years. From what I see, teenagers today are much more aware than teenagers of my day, or even when I was a young teacher. They are not, however, adults. It is their job to push boundaries; it is our job to guide. As for common sense, I don't know why we would expect our young people to be 'smarter' than our adults. Of course there is the whole issue of parenting, but I digress.

This could be part of a course that many schools now teach on daily activities like maintaining a checkbook,how to establish credit and open utilities etc.It can be difficult to learn these simple common sense things without getting into trouble. My daughter never realized you could not write checks without putting money into the account. She graduated with honors.

I'm so glad paper cheques are on their way out. They take way too long and are far too error-prone when scanned. I can't tell you how many times I had one rejected because the address on the cheque didn't match the one on my driver's license. Also, as a dyscalculic, balancing that ledger was hell.

I don't think it could hurt, but I don't know that it would help many.

I had an elective criminology course in high school. It covered a lot of those topics. I honestly think most of the students thought of it is a joke.

High school kids have this weird idea that they are infallible and smarter than everyone else. I think that teens who commit crimes do so thinking they'll get away with it and not because they don't know it's illegal or the potential consequences.

JimG Level 8 Sep 23, 2018

They need social inter action and responsibilty and consequence training. It is very sad but necessary.

I really wish they would be taught the constitution, the amendments, and the Bill of Rights properly and not by a biased person. After all justice is supposed to be blind AND work both ways, NOT the way it suits their feelings.

Home Ec stuff would be nice, but my private school didn't teach it. They taught you how to read, so I took that skill to read a cookbook and instruction manual and have survived somehow to 52yo. They should also be taught to put down the electronic device and observe how things are done around the house. Also, I agree with everyone who said it needs to start even younger and by the parents or a respectful adult influence on their life.

Teaching the Constitution would also be a can of worms. Dems (emotionally biased) think it means one thing, Repubs (emotionally biased) another. Supreme Court gets to interpret. It would not do well to have a high school teacher interpret the Constitution whereas there are Constitutional scholars who disagree...especially when it comes to the Second Amendment.

All very true.

When I took Civics/Free Enterprise in high school we had the checkbook/budgeting thing. I ignored most of it because it bored me (and I have since come to regret it because it's taken me years to learn how to manage money) Given the attention span of today's kids, I don't know if such a required class would be effecient....and who's going to take it as an elective?

I was taught the chequebook thing in Consumer Economics and while that bit was simple arithmetic, the rest of it, like figuring interest and all sorts of whatnot about loans and mortgages made zero sense to me and I squeaked by with a D minus. I tried my damnedest to understand it. ?

@memorylikeasieve It's hard for young minds to comprehend things like mortgages and APRs. Hell, it's difficult for me to understand some of what a mortgage entails. But I think definitely basic retail math should be taught....oh, and how to count back change.

@VelociraptorRemy awgawd, counting back change. My dyscalculic ass never got that down.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:185509
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.