Agnostic.com

36 13

Do you have wanderlust?

If I won the lotto, I'd definitely spend at least a year traveling and seeing things. Sometimes, I go on virtual vacations that start from my PC and continue in my daydreams.

Watching people talk about other countries on Youtube is another thing I do sometimes. My dad spends hours watching clips about Sweden- while I like Japan.

What can I say, I like to dream! You?

silvereyes 8 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is there an equivalent for "sleep-lust"? If, so, that's what I have.

@AMGT This is where I am at now lol

OMG, I wish I could sleep!

@HippieChick58 I do sleep, but almost never feel rested. I've been perpetually tired for 25+ years.

@resserts I have stress related insomnia. I keep track of my sleep with my Fitbit tracker, and recently it has been worse than usual;, but I think I am cresting now and will hopefully improve soon.

@HippieChick58 I hope you do see improvement. That sounds like a serious problem. Part of my difficulty is, because I don't often feel rested, I tend to not stick to a healthy, consistent sleep schedule or bother to get enough sleep. I need to get better about that.

@resserts I totally get that. I need a consistent sleep schedule as well, which means I need to turn the damn computer off, but I'd rather spend time here (whine). I also need to get my workload under control. I took a few days off at the busiest time of the year, what was I thinking? We're swamped, and I've got people upset with me. My boss is cool, but still putting a bit of pressure on, which isn't helping my sleep. I can retire in two years, I'm not sure if I can hang on for two more years.

@HippieChick58 Yikes! What line of work are you in?

@resserts I work in disability claims. So in a nutshell I'm dealing with people who've had a close encounter with the health care field and now I have to tell them what they need to do to get about 60% of their basic weekly income. Can you live on 60% of your paycheck? I went into the office today to catch up a bit. It is very quiet on the weekend and I wrote two denial letters. 😟

@HippieChick58 😟

Yes..a horrible case of it..a lovely disease to have!

I knew I joined the Navy for a reason. The feeling when your ship pull into a foreign port, you dressed up on your whites or your blues "manning the rail" and you are seeing a view that many of those in that city never seen that city from your point of view. And then you start thinking about what you are going to do when you hit port. Things have changed a lot since my Navy days... Used to be to find the phone exchange to call home before anything else you do. And you think of the women in that city... the tattoo you are going to get. Novelty shopping? Something special not found anywhere else? The photos, the good times in a bar or a good deed like buying a meal to one of their poor. The cat house. Every sailor was different. Everyone had a dream of what the perfect port visit should be... the pursuit of that dream made it all worth it. Thanks for reminding me How Fucking Lucky I had been.

@dbaecht Yep.

I spent the last year traveling, but all by pure accident. I got a lot of Sumo gigs all over the world. I am a real homebody, but I do not regret the experience. The idea of going to places to look around does not really interest me, but I had a purpose in each place I went.

I did not go to your typical vacation spots really. I went to:
Baku, Azerbaijan
Wroclaw, Poland
Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Dubai, UAE
Mumbai, India

It gave me some real perspective on life. A lot of nice metropolitan areas around the world won't really give you a good glimpse of how REALLY different people live around the world. I am very happy with the perspective I gained, but now I am ready to stay at home lol

Sumo gigs huh. Very cool!

@Leutrelle ya either wrestling or acting in silly movies or commercials. My belly has taken me a long way lol

@Loudpaintings I have watched Sumo wrestling on TV. You guys have some great moves, it's not all about how big you are. I like your heart, and your comments. I will be watching you🙂

Yes. I regularly get the urge to jump on my bicycle orvin my car and just go somewhere. The only thing that holds me back is my obligation to the military.

Hell, it's my middle name.

I've been to Canada and Mexico. Never been across the pond yet though. I love road trips and will take one any chance I get. I've lived in California, Florida, Illinois, Arizona, Nevada and Tennessee before finally settling in Colorado. I finally bought a house here so, I think I'll stay for a while.

Duke Level 8 Jan 27, 2018

@silvereyes Yes, CO has some (culture, that is). It definitely has a cannabis culture.

@Condor5 Denver, The Mile Really High City.

@silvereyes It's pricey to live here but, I love the mountains. I've never been a beach person. I'll take a mountain hike over the beach any day.

@Duke definitely want to go there one of these days; great mountainbiking in that area, too.

You can travel the world, in any manner you would enjoy, by YouTube videos. Travel by car, train, boat, hiking and sit back and enjoy all the wonder and beauty of this amazing planet. I agree with your dad, Scandinavian countries are some of the best.

If I could, I would love to travel to Arizona and see the Grand Canyon and to New Mexico to see White Sands National Monument. I’m obsessed with the sand dunes.
If I could, I’d have my dream house built just on the Sand Dunes or the beach in Hawaii.

I have moved 23 times in my life, lived in Europe and Japan, visited many countries. Well, I HAD wanderlust, not as much now. There are still many places I'd like to visit, but mostly I want to be here to see my grandchildren grow up.

@silvereyes I loved Japan for many reasons. During the Korean war my uncle was in the Navy and was sent to Japan. He brought home a wife and I thought she was the most fascinating person ever. So I was familiar with many Japanese ideas and foods. I thought it was cool to be in a place where I was tall! I love the food. I loved the unfamiliarity of it. I turned 19 while I was there, I was still very young. I saw a bull fight, but it was two water buffalo "fighting". I experienced Typhoons. I experienced my first earthquake. Looking back I can't believe I was so young and so innocent!

@silvereyes Not so much anymore. I used to make gyoza, but it is way labor intensive.I used to do lots of stir fries, but I can't say they were authentic. Now I'd rather go out for real Japanese. Aunt Micki did teach me how to use chopsticks for which I will always be grateful.

@silvereyes Aunt Micki now lives with her adult children, my cousins. They tell me she watches Satellite TV and picks up Japanese stations and has lost much of her English. She is over 90 now.

Its a magical yet very expensive hobby... Once you start you can never stop.
As the quote goes... The world is a book and those who do not travel only read one page. and.. We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

I have agoraphobia and don't like planes and im a homeboy so no

I've never been, the thought just scares the shit out of me. id love to dive with great white sharks but the plane journey scares me more.

I like to travel using Google Earth I love being able to go down on street view. It's just like you've been there. Sometimes when I have to go someplace new I will use Google Earth street view first when you actually go to the place is like you've been there before.

dc65 Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

GoogleEarth is pretty cool, isn't it? Did you ever do a comparison look between North and South Korea? Very bizarre.

@Condor5 no I did not I will have to try that .

At my former job I sometimes had slow times. I'd google earth someplace I used to live and take a look around. (I have moved 23 times in my life.) I lived at Patch Barracks near Augsburg, Germany. It's not there anymore. Some of the places I used to live have been significantly changed. Some are very much the same. It is fun to travel on Google maps, and doesn't cost a damn thing.

If money were no object, I'd constantly be traveling. It was a lot easier when I was younger and could work my way around. I used to take jobs that required travel. When that wasn't an option, I'd wait tables, tend bar, clean houses, and even cooked in a truck stop. Just to make money so I could keep moving. Got to see a lot of cool places, got to see some not-so cool, and met lots of people I wouldn't have if I'd stayed put. I think Mark Twain put it best, "“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Seems to me that's one reason why so many people are so hateful. They need to get out more!

No, never had the urge, my son is just back from 3 months in Europe, Africa and Asia, my daughter is just back from the USA, until almost 40 I had never traveled more than 400 miles from where I was born, and even now have only traveled 2 states in Oz, even then only on the coast.

I've discovered that wanderlust can mean no more than an afternoon lost in a near-by 3-acre woods, a new and challenging recipe in the kitchen, digging out old photos, or even a trip through my stuff I haven't looked at in years.

I'd travel pretty much everywhere;

• The Son Doong Cave in Vietnam
  • Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia
  • Plitvice Lakes National Park, Croatia
  • Mount Emei Scenic Area: Leshan Giant Buddha, China
  • Nishinomaru Garden in Japan
  • Angkor Thom – Baphuon Temple, Cambodia

If I could I'd even spend it to invent timely space travel and get off this human infested rock.

Don't forget the Mayan sites.

Yeah, and Machu Picchu in Peru, New Zealand, the Galapagos Islands, the fjords in Norway, so many places!

Part one of five, links to the other 101 places to visit are on the page too;

[youramazingplaces.com]

not sure if either are there but I definitely want to go to New Zealand and see some Hobbits lol.

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one...”
-John Lennon

I’m definitely a dreamer and sometimes those dreams turn into reality..

Yes and no. I have traveled a lot inside and outside the U.S. I joined a travel club, Servas, Int'l. traveled with that group. It actually added a third dimension to our trips. I also like road trips and am planning one this Spring. A big however, is that I don't enjoy going places alone. As with a lot of things having someone to accompany you is a big +.

I would travel the world and experience every culture that I can.

If i won the loto we would move to new mexico.

I'd love to go to Japan in spite of the language barrier. I really want to visit the Kodocan.

All my life. When just a kid on the farm, when the chores were done, you'd find me deep in the forest or somewhere down the creek undoing what the beavers had done.

Leave them beavers alone, son, they can kill you.

@Condor5 -- There are beavers ... and there are beavers.

I'm a bit paradoxical in that sense. I do love traveling; been to Hawaii 4 times; both ends of Canada; knocked around quite a bit in the western US; and my daughter and I went to Scotland a couple years ago -- had a wonderful time in the ancestral homeland. But I'm actually kind of a homebody, love being at home with my dogs and doing my daily routines. Admittedly, though, it would be nice to have someone to go to some foreign and exotic places with.

We have finite time, but infinite things to see and explore. Started with this long list of places that would like to visit, but now, have them prioritized as getting older. Working on a trip next summer. Try to take an overseas trip once a year, and a lot more shorter trips.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18738
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.