Agnostic.com

55 16

How annoyed do you get when a religious person give all credit to god, despite it was you that may have put in the hard work?

I recently had a religious person try to give credit to god when it was me who signed myself up for the gym to lose weight for the sake of my health. They tried telling me,” Well god knew you had been wanting to lose weight.” It makes me so irritated when they do that, you know? I just told them to please not give credit to somebody else when it was me who decided enough was a enough and got on track and got serious about my health. I’m pleased to say that I’ve lost 30 pounds within 6 months for attending my CrossFit classes five days out of the week and still attend class because I want exercise to now be apart of my life. I just want to know what all of you think.

EmeraldJewel 7 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I often tell people, esp. Christians, that it makes no sense to give a god all of the credit for everything good, but none of the blame for any of the bad. If "god" created everything, then everything includes the bad. So why didn't he or she just destroy anything bad as soon as it appeared? And as god, why let it exist in the first place? Why doesn't he or she come down here now and fix this place? Uh, an entity that doesn't exist can't fix anything. Its soooooo convenient to have a devil to blame. So, they want us to believe the same god that created the sun (which is just an amazing thing most people know little about) had the ability to do such a magnificent thing but lacks the ability to stomp out evil? C'mon! Think, monkey, think!

I now just automatically give myself frequent pats on the back....and believe me, that did not come easy!

Wow, congrats on the weight loss, and yes it does really annoy me. When I was still attending churches, they always had a "Story of Worship" on the back of the pamphlet. They all said that they had given their lives to God and that had made their life turn around. I always hated those stories because it was YOU who decided enough was enough and they picked up their lives and started rebuilding it. Yet they credit God, an invisible entity with no proof of except a old book, that he turned their life around for the sake of worshipping. God, it makes me so mad.

This is my adopted father...everything wrong is your fault, everything right is because of the gracious love and mercy of his imaginary friend. He gets really annoyed when I call him on it also; that doesn't mean I don't call him on it. Ever heard the saying, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink? It's the best out look I can take toward situations like this. Eventually most people get the hint and start "hiding their light under a bushel" as the old Sunday school song goes.

On the other hand....GRTZ!!!!! Way to go on those 30 lbs! That is a huge accomplishment! You up calories for maintenance, or going to keep at same level and try to lose more? I am shooting for 150, then bump to maint and start more strength vice cardio. Hoping to level out around 155.

God can get the credit, just so long as it doesn't change the amount of my paycheck or how regularly it is delivered.

The above is a classic example that the religious just keep on making stuff up.

Let them thank whoever they please. You have better things to do, places to go and people to see. Have a nice day.

Well, the first and most important thing I think is: "Good on ya for having come to a crossroads, made a decision, then held the discipline needed to get positive results. Congratulations. Carry on, young lady."

As for the business of giving thanks to an imaginary Guy in the Sky? Fuck off, asshole!

It is great that you wanted to lose the weight and wanted to be healthier. That is all you and not a imaginary friend that should get the credit. I would be annoyed as well, if someone did that to me. Try to ignore the fool who did that or report them to somebody if necesary . I'm trying to back on track with my exercise and hope to 30 to 50 lbs. some day be down to healthier weight.

You can do anything you put your mind to!

Way to go and keep up the great work!! Exercise is an important part of my lifestyle.
All I can do as an RN when people make comments like that is ?.. even though I would love to say a few choice words.

Wouldn’t bother me. I am God.

First off, good for you for working out and meeting your goals.
I laugh it off, not quietly and not to myself. If they're brazen enough to preach to me, I'm perfectly happy to respond in kind. A guy once told me that yoga was one of the many paths to hell.

I agree it's very annoying when they do that. they do it in situations like hospital when someone needs urgent medical attention. A doctor saves there life and they thank God. I'm in recovery and always here people say they pray to God to give them another day clean and believe it actually is, like why If there is a God would it help you stay clean when there are millions of people being tortured abused murdered every day but does nothing to help them? there annoying yet I also find it quite funny.

Lol I agree with everything!

Great job!

mazel tov on the weight loss, and i am totally jealous of your energy and determination. yes, yours, not that of some fictional character! but even if there was a god of some sort, it still would be your agency, not its, that did the deed. some people are just so brainwashed.

g

Furious.
It's a small extension of those fanatics who says "all the good I have done belongs to god, the rest is entirely my fault."
In other words: "You are worthless. You are weak. You can do nothing. Only through god can you succeed."

Don't let their soft approach fool you.

Omg! I totally understand. I remember losing my job took me 9 months to find a good paying job. Even though at the time I was a Jehovah's Witnesses and my dumb ass passed up 6 good jobs cause I couldn't miss the meetings. We thanked Jehovah when I found one almost a year later. Even though it was me who did all the work.

Do they also make sure to give the "credit" to God for things like multi-car pile-ups on the freeway that kill entire families on their way to Xmas dinner? Because, if God is omnipotent, then he must have made that happen too.

Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous!

I got promoted at work, and a co-worker emailed everyone in the department, saying "Praise be to God"

Orbit Level 7 Jan 2, 2019

I realize this is an older post but congrats on all that weight loss!
And yes, very annoying when someone tells me to thank god for something I accomplished.

It’s an older post, but thank you, regardless.

Just depends on my mood in that moment, but I do get hightly irritated when some doctor saves someone's life and others give the credit to god. If it's on FB then I'll just comment on the good doctors they must have had.

Great job! I got annoyed by a decal stating powered by god so a person would annoy me too

The first time it bugged me was when I was still religious. My ex-husband gave me a hard time about handing over food money. He was controlling and abusive and he would make me justify every penny he gave me. He would act like I was being irrational when I asked for food money. He'd give it to me only after a rant about how I was so demanding and irresponsible.

The first time it happened was after I'd quit my job during my first pregnancy. It was traumatizing. Then after I bought the food and filled our pantry, he looked at the full pantry and said, thank God for all this food! It was baffling to me, even as a believer.

Oh my gosh - my dad & I were just talking about this! He stopped & helped a mom with 3 kids when they had a flat tire - after HE changed the tire she wad over there thanking god - wth! god wasn't there doing anything.... smdh.

@CoastRiderBill omg! I’ve heard that so many times. As if god would need the help of a human being to send them their way. He can’t even heal a simple case of acne.

I would have put the flat tire back on and tell her to get God to help her since my help was not appreciated.....

I don't get annoyed, why would I, if that's how they think who gives a shit, you know who put the shift in.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:191479
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.