Agnostic.com

17 2

QUESTION FACT CHECK: Does a New Law Allow Atheist Doctors to Refuse Care to Religious Patients?

A satirical article on the web site The Science Post caused confusion in early 2018 by claiming that a new law allowed atheist health care providers to refuse to treat religious patients:

A new law in Mississippi has made it legal for doctors and nurses to refuse care to certain patients on religious grounds.

The law allows medical staff to refuse treatment to members of the LGBQT community on the grounds that it violates their religious beliefs. It would serve to reason this would also pertain to atheist doctors and nurses who could refuse to treat patients who are religious.
zblaze 7 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a physician and I think the state medical boards would revoke the license of someone who did this and it could be proven (same for religious doctors who refuse to treat atheists). Even without that, this agnostic doctor wouldn't even think of denying care to someone for disagreeing with her.

Not in your state let alone country but what is your opinion of so called medical professionals telling a 92 year old man that has a 6cm hernia repeatedly popping out that he is "too old to have it fixed". Apparently it is due to a botched repair job 30 years previously.

I was wondering ……… but apparently it is a reactive action. They'd better go to the federal court. I guess (but I don't know too little about the US legal system)

Gert Level 7 Jan 30, 2018

Under the Hippocratic Oath taken by Doctors NO Doctor can refuse treatment to ANY person regardless of Gender, Race or Religion.

Only the morally corrupt would adhere to this law.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 29, 2018

Or atheist bakers to refuse to bake for religious weddings ??

That's an entirely different kettle of fish though.

I don't think it would ever come up. I can't imagine that an atheist doctor or nurse would deny a person medical care.

I'd say so..and you can refuse any other service to them you want..cause they offend your moral sensibility.

I have seen the post about the relgion folks not having to preform medical servicesbut not the atheist one. I have never bothered to click and read it.

Of course it's satire. If atheist medical professionals were allowed to discriminate against the religious, they'd be losing their minds, and we'd ALL be hearing about it. They are the only ones allowed to discriminate against those who don't share their delusions.

Its satire

Even if it were legal, I suspect atheist doctors would not refuse care - because atheists don't tend to be cunts.

I go for EQUAL under the law...since that is the way the 'others' HAVE to have it! Pretty soon there will be no businesses...how much further into silliness can we get??? It is beginning to look like an abyss of 'ungodlyness'!!

Not doctors. Bakers. Atheist bakers refusing to bake cakes for fundamentalists. Religious is okay. Just no cakes for fundamentalists.

I heard it the other way round of religious bakers refusing to bake wedding cakes for LGBTI couple's weddings.

@FrayedBear You got my joke.

LMAO!! atheists refusing medical treatment to religious folks, Monty Python humor lives on. Satire is the greatest gift of all. The oinion is another favorite of mine.

Of course not. If a law was passed to that effect, it would only work in one direction, that being allowing christians to deny anyone opposed to their cult any assistance in any way.

There are laws doing that

Good question!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19364
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.