Agnostic.com

135 5

Do atheists observe Halloween?

Since, most don't believe in ghosts and other silly stuff that goes along with the holiday. Do we still observe some of it for the children. I rather ignore it like the rest of the religious holidays.

freedom41 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had some ask me since i was atheist did I do xmas, easter and other holidays said yes kids have fun why bring religion into it to ruin it

I'll celebrate just to celebrate. I'm enjoying a beer or four on Columbus Day Eve Eve.

I don’t believe in any of the supernatural.
Halloween is great fun and the kids have a great time. Why not enjoy the day and let it be

No offense, but that’s one of the silliest questions I’ve ever heard. As if celebrating Halloween is contingent on believing in ghosts.

I celebrate a secular Halloween just as I celebrate a secular Xmas.

Halloween is my favorite holiday, next to christmas!! Fun fun fun! P.S. I believe in ghosts!??

Halloween is about costumes, creativity, and candy. Some of the early underpinnings of the holiday may have been to scare away evil spirits, but today it's entirely secular and just a bit of fun.

Did you know that believing in Christianity is the gateway to the occult? I like the candy. I even like candy corn. Why is there candy corn? Sounds like it wouldn’t be very good. I think it’s good because it’s not actually candied corn. Someone was paying attention.

I love Halloween!!

I have always enjoyed Halloween. It never had religious overtones for me.

Women and tons of black leather - it can't be ALL bad. And there's free candy to boot! Sure sounds better than turkey or Santa.

Why not? It`s awesome fun!

Della Level 6 Oct 7, 2018

I love all holidays. It's a reason party, socialize and take time off work and school.
Halloween is about mostly candy and fun. I love it

I never thought of it as a religious event, it's pagan if anything just like the actual origins of most holidays, so it's whatever you want to do, I don't see what it has to do with religion.

Why not? We love fun and holidays! 🙂

It’s the only holiday I enjoy and participate in, Halloween is fun and silly. 🙂

If it was down to me I wouldn't take any notice of it at all but my 11 year old daughter is into it. She's awaiting the zombie apocalypse so sees it as training (of sorts) Trick or Treat? 🙂

this one does! I go on the halloween parade and see the fireworks over teh sea which is spectacular- children don't come intoour building as its sheltered accommodation& away from the main road

Its a much bigger thing in the US but we do have it here. Firstly it is not really a Christian festival. Like all the major holidays it has been usurped be the church. In the same way a big company will sponsor a large sporting event.
Festival of death makes sense when leaves are turning and dying. The end of summer, the equinox and a damn good excuse for a party.

Oh hell yeah! Best holiday of the year!

Yep. Just because you don't believe in a deity doesn't equate to you being banned from celebrating whatever you want. I still celebrate Christmas and easter as well. They're holidays and a great time to get together with family and friends. Live it up!

One of the best things about being an atheist/freethinker is the freedom from dogma. You can do whatever you like. Enjoy Halloween or other holidays? Celebrate them. Think they're dumb? Ignore them/ bitch about them to your hearts content.?

I ignore most holidays and events and this includes my own birthday. Halloween and Christmas have nothing for me. They might if children were around. I do go to the dinners for these events if invited. If not, it's just another day. We keep wanting to "weed out" Thanksgiving where the pilgrims would have starved if it wasn't for the Indians. Why is that?

Imagine a birthday party where the young boy is about 4 and they keep telling him it is his birthday. He looks at the presents but cannot believe it. Why? It's because he knows this has happened before. Who are they fooling?

Well, if I manage to get done an Alice Cooper style make up it'll be a happy Halloween for me.

I support the art and creativity that goes into humans dressing up for a day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:195160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.