Agnostic.com

25 0

Arguments and debates

What is the best/worst argument you have ever heard a creationist give in favor of any kind of theistic perspective on the universe?

TST_Beaver 4 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Weaksauce:
"Just look at the beauty of the sunset..."

Umm...yeah? And...?

You said weaksauce!

Climate change is a hoax the climate changes 4 times a year already !

The best is the oldest, called "first mover". Basically it asks that all life and nature has motion, what started the first motion that led to all the rest? The argument comes in many forms. My basic response is this: "I don't have the scientific evidence to answer all questions but assigning a diety as the catch-all answer is childish and lazy, wait for science".

Have you taken the time to read all the classic religious apologists?
If you are seeking the "best arguments" ...those would be the place to start.
You can do a Google search to find lists of the "top" apologists....there are current ones as well as ones from the early centuries of the Common Era.

Worst:
"God does exist! He has too! "

Best:
I haven't heard any good ones let alone a best....

Not sure I would call anything a creationist says an "argument". They are barely functioning retards when it come to consistent logic, and I am not going to apologize for using that word.
Still, a strong contender for the dumbest thing any creationist have said is Ray Comforts banana "argument": 'Look, it fits right into your hand. That's proof of design.'
Best try: 'You can't prove my invisible, immaterial friend doesn't exist.'
It doesn't get better than that.......

@JoeChick You use whatever words you like. If you think calling his thought process comical is less of an insult, making you less of a bigot than me, who am I to argue?

As for creationst intelligence; I know some of them are not dumb, which makes the damage done to them all the more clear to see.

@JoeChick Then whenever I say, "progress has been retarded", mothers had better cover their children's ears.

Also, it's good to know it IS acceptable to denigrate someone's mental state and now we're just hammering out the particulars of who gets to call who what for which transgressions.
Having established we can call anyone who believes something that conflicts with facts or mere opinions we hold to be true; deluded - let's try a few hypotheticals.

Do you know Seth Andrews? Former evangelical spokesperson. He managed to break his indoctrination very late in life and has since made many podcast and videos about belief. One of them is labeled 'Christianity made me talk like an idiot', in which he talks about how he was trained, programmed to think and speak a certain way where his deity was concerned. "What I said made no sense."

On the whole, Seth was not a stupid man as a believer, and he didn't get smarter when we got the god-glasses off. It simply made him capable of applying the same consistent logic to his beliefs, as he did to everything else.
The questions is, is he a bigot.
He is inadvertently calling the people who makes the arguments he used to make 'idiots'. He got out, but they are still trapped in their programming, using the arguments he used to preach, which he now labels as 'idiotic'. (Idiot, being an old term for intellectually disabled.)
Is he a bigot? If not; why not?

@JoeChick: if you cannot see the nuance between what Seth Andrews says and what you say then you are ignorant.

If you can actually see me saying that, I suggest you consult an optometrist. Soon.

JoeChick: Seth says like an idiot. He is not labeling himself an idiot but rather describing how he was acting. If you had said they were acting retarded that would be different than calling them a retard.
Evidence of this is the fact that child psychologists say you can tell a child they are acting stupid but not say they are stupid. The first is an evaluation of an action while the second is an evaluation of the person.

ok.
Still....
Describing someone - adult someones - as "acting like an idiot" for their entire lives, you'd expect that they actually crossed over to be idiots at some point. You know, the brain being connected to the behavior an' all.
Seems like a thin hair to split to me. Something trolls do to passive-aggressively insult people and then retreat behind, "hey, I just said you were acting like an X. I have done nothing wrong, stop acting like an X".
But, that's just my opinion.

JoeChick: Also the word retard as a verb is very differentvthan retard as a noun. You used it as noun in your original statement. As a noun it is a derogatory term. Another example is colored. It is derogatory in certain contexts.

You said retard was a bigoted term (anyone who believes different is delusional) and I used it in a context it was not. Looks like I'm not the only one who needs to be more specific.

JoeChick: Also even if Seth Andrews was saying he is an idiot and not describing his actions. He would be evaluating a single person not generalizing an entire group.

Hypothetically: The reason he would say he's an idiot is tied to an action performed by others.
If you drink and drive and then as you grow up realize just how stupid that was, does your condemnation of your own action extend no further than yourself?
People holding separate standards for themselves and others seems unlikely.

If you watch the clip he uses examples of what we - him and everybody like him - have been saying and asking the audience: What do we sound like? What do they sound like? What did I sound like?
Making the audience fill in the gaps is a good way to say something while not actually saying it. Quote-miners hate it; makes their work harder.

@JoeChick now if you had said I was using colloquial shorthand to describe their actions and not them as a person I would have accepted that. I would have pointed out that using those shorthand in text form is not a good idea in a public forum as it causes misunderstandings.
But instead you sought to defend your usage by engaging in 2 logical fallacies.
The first was an equivocation fallacy when you tried to use retard in a different context.
The second was tu quoque fallacy. Saying he did it too is not a valid defense.

Your assertion there has been an attempt at defense is another insult.
So far I have merely been curious by the fact I was called out for bigotry by someone who calls people deluded for not sharing his perspective - and that you have been arguing a straw-man.
Apparently it has stressed your brain into paranoia, seeing defenses and intellectual victories where there are none.

I might have ended this quicker if you hadn't referred to the long-term results of brainwashing as "comical". Clearly we disagree on what is and is not derision.
Personally I do not find it amusing. It is, in my opinion, alarming and quite angering; the injustice done to people, some of them very accomplished in their fields, that keeps them twisting themselves into knots because they are psychologically incapable of disobeying their programming.

When engineers with advanced degrees tries to convince you a 900 year old man built a wood box with rope and tar to carry the ancestors of every single living species on the planet for at least 40 days of apocalyptic storms, you are not supposed to smile. Engineers for god's sake.
The "genocide and incest" arc park they built in Kentucky - proving it is impossible - hasn't slowed them down.

I would say the same about any parenting strategy that produces intelligent adults incapable of evaluating what they heard as children objectively.
It doesn't matter how smart racists groomed by parents, community and teachers. are in general; there are still areas where their ability to reason has been retarded.
Regular people can tell because they hold all claims to the same standard of logic. It's what happens when you have not been brainwashed, or has succeeded in breaking free from it.
It doesn't make us smarter. It makes us logically consistent.

If you really find the damage done to Creationists to be comical, I recommend you find a racist and have him/her explain in detail why his/her race is superior. In some ways they are even more wrong than anyone.

But I digress. Time to wrap it up.
All people who identify as Creationists are not retarded, period. Obviously.

If you think this is a retraction caused by you shaming me or convincing me otherwise; feel free to tell yourself that.
In actual reality, you missed and misread a few things.
It's not entirely your fault. It has happened before; people under the impression I have for some reason wandered off topic. For example, on a thread about pets, specifically pets we had owned or currently owned - I made an offhand, positive comment about pets and another poster felt the need to inform me of the existence of pets that are not so good. As if I had seamlessly and spontaneously switched from talking about my pets to every pet in the universe.
As it happens, I had not.

The topic of this thread concerns Creationist arguments we have heard. As in, Creationists we have talked with or seen on a stage making their case, regarding evidence for their god.
Not, as it happens, all Creationists. You may notice I didn't specify all in my first post, either.
You might also notice I specified "when it comes to". Of course, to do that, you will have to read the ENTIRE sentence and not behave like a quote-miner, determined to be offended by things taken out of context.

You might even notice I didn't double down on "my" claim that all Creationists are retarded, period.
Instead, you might notice, I said "I know some of them are not dumb" to your first post; indicating I do NOT generalize the intelligence of their group.
While not a glowing review, it's honest, since I am unaware of the world-wide statistics for Creationist intelligence - I don't even feel qualified to determine how smart those I personally know are - I said what I think can be said about any group, (besides groups consisting entirely of people with the most severe mental disabilities or exceptional genius - it'd be weird to say about Nobel prize winners).

Lastly, if I was going to defend the use of the term, it would go along the lines of: Awful things should have equivalent words.

Do you think the people who saw at the genitalia of small children with dirty tools call it genital mutilation? Do you think the victims of that ghastly, scarring practice call themselves mutilated?
I don't know for sure. Given how humans are, I suspect they do not. It's probably called something nice like "corrected" or "cleansed". Their equivalence of "comical".
The first step of putting awful things out of your mind is to use soothing, non-provocative terms; metaphorically holding hands and pretending it's not really that bad.

Racists don't call themselves racist, "nationalist" or "purist" is so much more bland. "Alternative racial science", may catch on soon. Has a mollifying, legitimate ring to it.
The poor children sent to schools teaching that the Loch Ness monster does indeed exist and disproves the theory of evolution (google it) are not being deceived or brainwashed, it is called "education". When they graduate their ability to reason logically consistently will not have been retarded; they will simply be part of a large group of people who are "comical" on certain subjects.
Future versions of Congressman John Shimkus, a man who insists we shouldn't concerned about the planet being destroyed because God promised Noah it wouldn't happen again after the great flood.
I don't believe for a moment Shimkus is retarded, period. You don't rise to congress if you are. However, on this one, currently crucial, subject; I fear he has been deliberately stunted, to put it nicely.
(You can argue against climate change. Just don't use a compilation of stories about giants, curses, witches, and animals who talk and and behave like humans as a source of authority.)
Mike Pence, as you know, the vice president of the United States of America, sided with the movement behind the Wedge strategy, which came to a head in the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial. In which a conservative republican catholic judge reprimanded the Creationist lobbyists for their perjury, deception and reality denial, knowing the threats he'd receive for doing so.
He knew - like many believers, including the pope - there is a difference between having faith and a straight up crippling of reason.
That, is bloody terrifying. It's also overlooked and forgotten by most, if they even payed attention to it while it happened, probably because people used nice words. Creationist lobbyists tried to ruin our education system with material a conservative Catholic politely called bullshit on and we politely refer to that orchestrated madness a "dispute between two equally valid scientific theories".
I suppose you would call it "comical". A trivial laughing matter of no noteworthy consequences.

The machine behind the Wedge strategy is still running. Answers in Genesis, and Institute for Creation Research, are major players in the adult world. Propaganda factories, run by people putting out statements of faith like "all theories of origins or development which involve evolution in any form are false" or "By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record."
It's a declaration of war on (parts of) reality.
All to keep retarding our ability to apply logic consistently.

I don't say it to be a jerk. This was done to them - and many more who got out - without consent or consideration for their rights. Your right to swing your fist ends where other peoples faces begins. Harmful brainwashing should fall under the same rule, IMO. You can tell yourself whatever you want once you're an adult.
The only worse thing you can do to anyone besides robbing them of their life is to rob them of their mind.

No doubt you'll want to have the last word. A few more insults, surely. I won't be here to see it. I've heard quite enough. But don't let that stop you. Have fun.

Forgot to add this.

Good arguments? None. Worst arguments? Too many to wade through.

I've never actually heard one myself.

There is no best/worst argument and there is not even an argument. Creationist say "god did it" and that is their unflinching position. "The bible says it, I believe it, that settles it".

"The bible is true because the bible says that the bible is true"

Back when I was fairly new at these debates, I talked with a classmate fairly often. We were both in the formal logic class, a branch of the philosophy department, so usually these conversations were interesting and actually challenging. One particular argument, however, went like this:

"Alright, so your position is that God is omnipotent ... snip ... Can God create a stone so large that he cannot lift it?"

To which he answered, simply, "Yes."

I couldn't get any further clarification out of him.

"Dinosaur bones were planted by Satan"

The simultaneously best and worst one usually comes from people who don't value evidence as a convincing counter-argument. People who don't care how much proof or irrefutable logic you can provide, nothing is going to change their mind. It's the best because it's pointless to continue the discussion, and the worst because it's the most intellectually dishonest.

The only argument for God that I don't think is completely asinine is that they are simply the creator of the beginning, an observer after that. They don't interact, have a plan, or even give a shit what you do in life or even if you believe in or hate him. I don't mind people so much with that definition of God cause at least they know organized religion sucks. I do mind in the fact that they're just basically saying that the universe is God. As such, should just refer to the universe as the universe. The only reason I could see them adopting this belief while labeling it as God is that they accept what science has to say, but want to feel or at least portray that they believe in God.. just in case they do exist.

They worst.. is most all creationist and fundamentalist arguments.

There are interesting phylosofic texts, Saint Augustin for example. They need very careful and sofisticated thinking to be broken as they built over themselves leaving no obvious flaw (but they are there). I do recommend the reading, but never stop at them, they are really convincing if you are not prepared.

I have never heard a plausible creationist point of view.

I know this response isn't what you asked for but in my opinion, there are no good arguments for creationism because they all fall into one category or another of fallacious reasoning and they are all equally bad, so I responded to a question you didn't ask but is similar. What are the best and worst arguments for being a person of faith?

The best argument for why they believe and one that shuts me down every time is, "I believe because it gives me a sense of community, I have hope that I'll see my family again and it gives me the strength to face the days ahead." That's an honest answer as long as it's not used to try and get anyone else to believe. I could push forward, but who would I be trying to take away something that works for that person?

The worst argument is, "If you allow Jesus, into your heart he will reveal himself to you." So you must believe before you believe to get the worst possible evidence, a feeling that a higher power loves you.

There are no good arguments, just ridiculously long ones sometimes. If I believed any of the theistic arguments I would not be here now. Studying the bible helped me to see the truth.

The second line of this Jake Thackray song;

"I love a good bum on woman it really makes my day
To me it is palpable proof of gods existence a-posteriori"

"Look at this banana. This proves a Creator." Ray Comfort (paraphrasing)

Dietl Level 7 Oct 15, 2018

I've never heard a good argument. I hate the life energy argument the most though. E.g.

-Where does your life energy go when you die.?

• Ermmm there is no such thing as life energy... At a stretch your body cools down. It decomposes...is that what you mean?

I have never heard a good argument.

I had a great debate with a Muslim in Egypt where we wouldn't agree, of course. The guy was from Yemen and I could see he was highly educated, the way he spoke wasn't from an average guy. Until now, I never got anyone that I enjoyed so much debating the existence or non-existence of God.

I've always loved the Pascal's Wager.

I can't even with those people anymore.
I don't respect their religious beliefs, at all.
I think they're delusional, and it's usually best not to engage
with delusional people.
I'd rather not waste my time.

i have never heard a good one. they all sounded stupid to me. the worst was probably from my philosophy teacher who said "god exists because the word god implies existence and therefore god exists. next question." i think he was an idiot.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:201383
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.