Agnostic.com

31 2

Tell me, what is the successful recipe for a successful marriage?

And now tell me why yours failed?

atheist 8 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don’t do it. It’s a trap.

I don't think that there is one recipe. I think there are many because people are so different. They all have some of the same ingredients though, love, respect, honesty, and humor. IMO

"The" recipe? Ha!

My first marriage failed because I was a stupid religious idealist whose entire idea of mate selection was to "marry a good Christian girl". Trouble was, she wasn't so good. Also had serious mental health issues. Eventually diagnosed as schizophrenic with borderline personality disorder.

So that's how NOT to do it.

As to how TO do it ... my 2nd wife died and I'm on #3 and to be honest I'm not sure I have it figured out even now. I'm introverted, heady, and sub-clinically, borderline on the spectrum as they say, so I don't always "get" people's social cues and unspoken messages. Belatedly, now that I really know myself, and the downsides of marriage, I think I probably never should have married or had kids. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have done it. I am comfortable in my own skin, and have very modest social needs, and can enjoy life without having to "share" it with someone.

But ... you don't know that until you do. When you're 20 or 25 or 30 you just don't want to miss out on this thing they sing all these lovely ballads about. It MUST be wonderful, and you MUST be missing out.

Fortunately my current wife is unusually good at knowing her own sh_t and not putting it on others, myself included. We're getting old, unwanted drama is down to a dull roar, kids all out of the nest, we have a lot of common interests and needs, etc. So it's almost surely more painful to change that situation than not to.

But no, I can't give you a Magic Pill that you can take so you can have a successful marriage. That means different things to different people, and gets negotiated differently by different couples. All the stuff they tell you in those how-too articles is true, for some given value of true -- understand that marriage requires considerable commitment and effort, communicate clearly to the point of discomfort, be the person you want to be with, yadda-yadda. The devil is always in the details.

Bottom line for me is that if you think in any way, shape or form that marriage is going to "make" you happy, solve your problems, and/or be easy, then you have no clue. Marriage has a way of just giving you more of whatever you already have. So if you're an unhappy, anxious person, marriage -- to literally anyone -- after a brief period of infatuation, is just going to make you MORE unhappy and anxious.

So figure out how to be happy, calm, centered, confident -- that's job one. By yourself. Without any sort of training wheels. Then find someone who has done the same thing.

That's about the best I can offer you.

I'd say you pretty much summed it up...it is work!
All relationships are work, I have found!

I'm an unhappy, anxious depressive, so I appreciate your insight concerning getting married after a brief infatuation -- I think now I probably shouldn't get married, period, ever, given my decades-long history with mental illness. I have trouble psychologically now, and I don't want to make myself ,or anyone else,more unhappy! I'll try to hold onto this thought. I only hope that I will; have the strength to resist infatuation,if it does ever happen.

@MST3K Easier said than done, I know. It gets easier as you get older though. I really feel fundamentally different about it now than I did even a decade ago. When all the women in my life eventually end up with the same basic complaints, at some point I have to consider what the common denominator actually is. It's ironic because as a youngster I regarded marriage as my highest ideal and noblest aspiration -- yet, I was clearly nowhere near the catch I thought I was. Kind of like someone who really, REALLY wants to be an author, and yet they can't put coherent sentences together, and everyone knows it but them. I met a guy once like that who self-published truly awful, cringeworthy books and couldn't figure out why each of them sold like 3 copies. That's me with marriage. I look great from a distance, actually, but don't hold up to any kind of sustained scrutiny. I am finally willing to admit that I suck at giving a partner what they need emotionally. Either that or they all have unreasonable expectations. Either way it's not a workable concept.

And it's not just a question of me having to up my game; no one can ever coherently explain this stuff I'm just supposed to "know" and no one's every happy with my efforts to be better at it. Reminds me of the old WC Fields line, "if you had one third the mental capacity of an earthworm, you would have anticipated my needs and compensated accordingly."

So at this point, I HAVE no game and I'm fine with that. There's still one person in the world who likes me fine and has never been disappointed in me or betrayed me -- and that's me. He and I get along just fine. At the same time there are plenty of things I don't suck at -- I get paid very good money to write software and consult on software design and it's so easy for me that my shameful little secret is that I'd do it for free if I didn't need to pay any bills. In the face of all this, what to do, what to do? It's not exactly a hard question to answer. Focus on what I'm good at.

My current wife and I love each other, don't get me wrong ... and I'm not being abused ... it's just that we're both disappointed enough the other person knows it and we're comfortable (and old and tired) enough that we're just not going to go through that whole "reboot yourself yet again" routine. My professional abilities somewhat make up for my interpersonal shortcomings anyway ... my wife likes not having to worry about finances about as much as I drive her batshit sometimes. I'm a good stepfather to her kids. I'm a kind and decent human being who just doesn't take hints or read cues very well or consistently. Come to it ... I think maybe that could serve as many a man's epithet.

I've seen couples miserably together for many years. I don't think of that as success i guess.

the real thing? a friendship/partnership of support, trust, tolerance, and sharing.

I think people who are miserable yet stay with partners that cause their pain are just scared that the unknown would be even worse. I know that I stayed way too long because I knew how to deal with the situation I was in. It was a known situation. I always told myself I could take it for the kids, etc. Trying a new one is delving into the unknown. That is the scariest position to be in.

that makes sense, feels unfortunate tho.

i guess what is successful is subject to point if view.

@stomato please don't think that I was trying to contradict you if you are thinking that. I was just observing that a successful marriage can still have a lot of wiggle room in definition

Haven't you heard? "The family that prays together, stays together". It couldn't be more simple.

Ha ha ha...

Marry someone who shares your sense of humor and weirdness. Marry someone who has strengths that match your weaknesses. It worked for 14 wonderful years

yeah humor is key

I remember a book I read as a teen — and I'll be damned if I can remember the title, the author, or much of anything of substance about the plot — about a computer programmer who was developing a space war game. The game mirrors the main conflict of the book somewhat, in that the way to win the game is to decline to play — i.e., don't engage in the first place, and you'll thrive. I think that's the answer to a successful marriage, too.

Could it have been War Games, @Resserts?

@Lauren No, I don't think so. I think it was far more obscure than that. This is what little I remember about the plot:

A young adult male, computer programmer, is working on a video game in which the player is fighting space aliens. For some reason — and this is part of why I'd like to find the book, because there are pieces that don't seem to make sense — he doesn't know how to beat the game. (I might be mistaken about where the game came from, and perhaps he's not actually developing it. I'm really fuzzy on this.) He ends up getting involved in real-world conflict, I think alien in nature, and his girlfriend is involved (maybe she gets captured and that's why he gets involved). But there are a couple of alien beings who help him, and it's later revealed that one of them is a future version of himself, but it's a little vague as to whether he's an angel or what his nature is. He realizes at some point that to beat the computer game the trick is to exit out — it's the only way to survive — and that's the same approach that needs to be applied in the real conflict. The very end of the book has the main character committing suicide by setting his house or cabin on fire and burning inside.

I'm so frustrated that I can't remember more, because I think I'd have a better appreciation for the story now. But I think about this book every now and then and for the life of me can't remember enough to find it.

@resserts Wow. That's an excellent ending! The story is a good one, too. Now I want to read it. Let me know if something triggers your memory. Also: interesting comparison to relationships. 😉

Personal relationships are the most difficult thing, people change over time, and not always in the same directions.
Personally I think Marriage is antiquated. I think it should be reserved STRICTLY for the religions which endorse it. In society it should be civil unions all around, AND
MANDATORY SHAGGING CONTRACTS, which every person shaggin enters into, by default, upon shagging. Such a contract is BINDING, and from it you MUST pay all neccessary means for any child care which results from said event.
WALA, no deadbeat dodging parents.

THERE IS NO RECIPIE, it is individual as we are individual, what works for couple A, might demolish couple B.

for my dad it was pineapple upside down cake they have been married 64 years

@atheist you asked for a recipe

Fuck if I know, married twice and divorced twice

@atheist ..l..

The recipe for a successful marriage is treating each other with dignity, respect, and caring -- along with shared values and similar levels of intelligence.

The ingredients are , loyalty, empathy,honesty ,love and being able to compromise and admit if you are wrong

And absolutely no name calling. I said "yes dear" a lot and if one of us messed up it was answered with "silly Goose" or "goofball".

Homemade Shrimp Scampi and Fettuccine Alfredo. You can't be mad at each other after a really heart felt, loving, from scratch meal! There are a number of homemade soup recipes that would suffice as well. Food is love!

I've been "from scratch" cooking for many years. It brought my family together in a big way. I would get calls from each one of my children everyday to find out what's for supper. After a long day at work it wasn't always easy to go home and cook a great meal. But the dividends were well worth it. My children were always home for dinner, every night. During the difficult teen years, we could at least have piece in sharing a delicious meal. It was a special time for all of us!

I don't know, I guess acceptance and compromise would be main ingredients.

Drinking..alot

Fucked if I know as I've lived with about 4 women and stupidly married 2 of them yet here I am living on my own.

Getting married prior to maybe the 1950’s.

Live in seperate towns?

You must have an aversion to closeness!@Rudy1962

@Freedompath absences makes the heart grow fonder

Give each other flowers on your fiftieth anniversary. Repeat every year after that until death do you part.

I have two ex wives so I don't have an answer for that one. Seriously though I know many married couples but I don't know any that are happy about it.

Someone who's willing to put into it as much as you. It's not 50-50. Both of you have to be all in.

Love.... Not a good reason, what usually happens is two strangers meet have sex, begin a pseudo relationship, more like a social companionship with Kink. Then fall victim to social convention. Either an unfortunate pregnancy shows up and they are told to " Do the right thing" or someone realizes "We've been together for months/years everyone else is getting married, we have to get married also." Then two strangers that should have never gotten married get married, and fuckery ensues.
It is my understanding that a marriage is s partnership, both defensive(I got your back) and supportive. Unfortunate that most people don't marry the person they did marry, they want the person they wish they had met, set unrealistic expectations, try to change their partner to something more to their liking. Now both are fighting a war on two fronts, day-to-day living and their unsatisfied partner. Not a recipe that works.
I prefer a relationship based in fidelity, trust, respect, and genuine compassion (passion, sex, and love "Eros" are nice but not a requirement).
Fidelity is a basic principle, that both partners want to be in a relationship with each other. Trust is not only earned by the individual, it must, by necessity, be given to the partnership. Genuine compassion places the needs and well-being of the other first.
True love, is a state of being, where the welfare and happiness of my partner is paramount to my own happiness and well-being. Having stuck to my guns, and not settling for convenience or compromising my Ideals, has kept me from victimizing myself and others. Having said that, I suggest:

1. Budget your luxuries first. Nothing destroys domestic felicity like futile disputes over debt.
  2. Buy her, her own desk, and keep your hands off of it.
  3. (For men) If you are in an argument, and discover that you are right, apologize immediately.
  4. (For women) Don't bother him with details, especially about the past..
  5. Have a sense of humor, nothing is as bad as it seems right now.

Hope someone finds this useful.

We are human, Forgive, forget and move on. Don't try to change your partner. Allow them the space to change on their own in ways whether you like it or not. let him/her grow and flourish.. Be kind, never be petty or selfish. Do what you want also. You should never feel caged or inhibited. Respect each other. Enjoy each other. Be there for each other. Put your foot down only when you really mean it and feel you have to (very rarely) otherwise you will just be perceived as being bitchy and not taken seriously.

Love and communication.

Marriage researcher, psychologist John Gottman, and his colleagues followed 130 newlywed couples for six years to find what marriages succeeded, and why.

Turns out, happy, stable marriages had one thing in common: The husband was willing to accept his wife's influence. In contrast, when husbands responded to their wives' complaints by stonewalling or belittling them, the marriage was almost sure to fail: More than four-fifths of those relationships — 81 percent — fell apart.

Gottman, John M., and Nan Silver. (1999). “Principle 4: Let Your Partner Influence You,” in The Seven Principles for Making Marriages Work (Chapter Six, 100-127). New York: Three Rivers Press (Random House, Inc.).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20286
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.