Agnostic.com

30 5

What was something you once believed and later discovered you were wrong

I believed that pineapples grew on trees. I was 49 years old on this site when I was politely educated.

I believed people used to live in a black and white world prior to the 60s. I was 5 or 6 when it was explained to me that films were shot mostly in black and white prior to the 60s.

I believed that good luck is something you can earn by being a good person. I still struggle with this one.

paul1967 8 Oct 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believed that because people were agnostic that somehow made them all intelligent

lerlo Level 8 Oct 19, 2018

That one deserves reflection.

@RealHuman as I'm constantly reminded

I thought Sudafed was an antihistimine and would take it if my summer allergies made me itchy (like after mowing the lawn). I'd go inside, take a pill, and get better. I was in my 40s when my sister saw me do it and set me straight. Turned out, going inside was enough.

Lmao Thanks you gave me a good belly laugh.

I bet you had a bunch of energy once you got inside, though. Lol

That the crust is the healthiest part of bread

Yes! I believed this, too.

@Minta79 I was a dick and perpetuated this lie to my kids

@Count_Viceroy I understand why my mom told us that, she didn't want to cut crusts off. My kids called total shenanigans on me when I tried. They also wanted their sammies cut into fun shapes will a cookie cutter (and no crust). So I started giving them a stack of cookie cutters with their sandwiches. Once they had to do the hard work of removing the crust, it started tasting a lot better. Lol

@Minta79 I'm a horrible dad. My daughter believed it into her late teens

@Count_Viceroy my crew love to call bs. They live to fact check me and each other.

@Minta79 I told my son not to throw his gum out the window cause a car could run over it and have it's tire pulled off

@Count_Viceroy I'm gonna try that one on my littles.

I had always heard about southern hospitality. It turns out that it’s all fake. Everyone is super sweet to your face and talks about you behind your back.

I believed that honest hard work would pay off and the truth is that most of it is politics in who you know not what you know.

The idea that you can benefit from hard work is a lie propagated by employers.

I believed in god

When I was young (early grade school) I figured religion (as it did not reflect reality) was BS: nothing more then a game grown ups use to brain wash foolish children into being controlled by grown ups. In short a big box store Santa-clause scheme.

I also believed all adults were aware that religion was BS as no grown-up could possibly believe in such nonsense.

I still remember the day, (years later) place and time when I came to the grim realization many adults actually believe religious BS as fact. That day my optimism for a good outcome for civilization was greatly diminished.

I used to believe that the country I was born in was the only corrupted country on earth.. I got the chance to live and work in 3 different countries since... Guess what? Corruption is everywhere. I was shocked and disappointed to realize that!

ABack Level 6 Oct 20, 2018

That sales taxes (GST, VAT etc) are inherently regressive and disproportionately effect the poor. Looking at the Scandinavian countries, as long as they are combined with a high minimum wage and strong social safety net, then the working class are ok. And they have the advantage that they are difficult to evade. The wealthy can avoid income and capital gains taxes, but they still have to spend money.

One of the things that I liked about the "fair tax" proposal was refunding a flat "basic needs" amount based on the quantity of people in the household. I think maybe just exempting specific items or services might be a better idea, but a sales tax definitely has the advantage of being harder to evade.

That there was hope for Trump supporters.

I thought the woman I married was a good person I was wrong

I've been on both sides of that myself. I've been the jerk and burned by someone so selfish she put my bad behavior in perspective. Knowing how it feels made it impossible for me to do that to anyone ever again.

When microwave ovens started to be available in the mid 70's I thought that they would pose adverse health risks that would become apparent in time. I'm happy to say that I now realise I was being unduly alarmist and I use my microwave daily - the shorter cooking times give fresher cooked food with less energy expenditure, and it's great for warming the teapot.

I realise that I am somewhat of an uncouth American, but I brew my tea right in the cup for one and a half minutes and leave the tea bag in whilst I drink.

I drink green tea because it is said to prevent cancer. Few in my area drink hot tea at all—they like sweet iced tea.

@WilliamFleming You had all the benefits of a colonial education and yet you still insisted on trying to make tea with salt water from Boston harbour. I only drink tea made with loose leaves in a pre-warmed pot and from a china cup.
Green tea is associated with a higher risk of mouth cancer as it may be drunk too hot, which proper tea with milk added avoids.

@Gareth LOL. I guess I am just improper and will remain so.

I have a little surge of pleasure in getting you to reply. It’s the child in me.

I once believed that people were generally good.. I still believe...

Unless they're Donald Trump supporters 😉

I once believed I was wrong, but it turns out that I was mistaken.

My ex was a good man of character.....buwahahahaaaa

I can say, my first wife was a mistake. The second wife fell too much into religion and put Jesus ahead of our marriage. Other than that she's a good person.

On a lighter note. I once believed that Mohamed Ali was the good guy in the Ali - Frazier fights

I loved Ali.

@paul1967 Watch the documentary "thriller in Manilla". Fraziers point of view. Quite an eye opener

I agree. I've never understood how he was able to become such an icon in his old age. He avoided the Vietnam war for pretty much the same reason as Trump but, being black, he went to jail. His immodesty was also Trumpian, although he actually had some substance to back it up.

I met Ali when l worked at the news paper in Louisville. He was the nicest man. He would come up to the Courier Journal/Louisville Times to do interviews at the paper and the radio and TV stations in the same facility. People would bring their kids, and he would spend a couple of hours talking and playing with kids. Don't confuse the showman with the human. He was willing to go to prison for what he believed. Would you. Had he gone into the military he would have never seen a minute of combat. They would have paraded him around like a show pony for recruitment purposes. He new that, he still stood up for what he felt was right.

@Sticks48 Name a boxer from Philly who worked in a meat packing plant that became heavyweight champion. Ended up owning a gym. No not Rocky but Frazier.
He took a very different view. During that time when he (Ali) was stripped of his boxing license. Frazier supported him, gave him money and campaigned to get him reinstated. Then Ali called him an uncle Tom and a gorilla. Imagine just how insulting that is for a black guy? The last fight they had was stopped in the last round because Frazier was taking too much punishment. Asked If he would like to have continued even if it killed him he said "Sure because I did not want to win. I wanted to kill him. See the way Ali is now? Thats not parkinsons, I did that to him." and he was smiling as he said it.
The post asked if there is something I changed my mind about. A lot of Ali`s stance on Vietnam etc. came not from him but the Muslim teachers he had at that time. Not to say that he was wrong or that he was not a hero for standing up but then again not everything is as black and white as we think when we are younger.

I thought that babies came out of the mother through the belly button. This was before home computers or the internet and unless you had a good set of encyclopedias... We didn't. I was maybe 7 about 1970. It was settled by my best friend's parents. His dad was an MD and his mom was an RN. I still couldn't really believe it and asked my own parents who confirmed it. I thought it was the grossest most disgusting thing I'd ever heard - they gave me the sex talk. 🙂

LMFAO. It is gross.

The victorians used to call a ladies muff a gooseberry bush, Hence the expression

I used to believe that all parents love their children. I was very wrong about that.

I used to think the word inventory was pronounced invent-ory. Thought this all the way in to high school. I also used to believe in absolutes in human understanding. Thought this until I discovered LSD.

I once believed that Islam was compatible with, and could get along with other cultures.

religions are built not to get along with others

Things evolve, all things are possible...but it won't happen next week...maybe if I live a really long life I will see it.

I used to believe that all radio broadcasts came from China. And no I haven't the faintest idea why I thought that.

I used to also believe that water didn't evaporate evenly all around the globe but there was a wall of water shooting up into the sky somewhere in one of the oceans.

That I needed to believe in something

A static universe. It didn't seem right to me, the scientists said it was though.

"The scientists?" You have just dated yourself.
According to Wikipedia, in the 1950's - 1965 support for the static universe was evenly split. (with a slight superior support for expanding universe models.)

I grew up in the late 60's and, until researching your "the scientists" was unaware any any living credible scientist asserted the static universe model as "The scientists" I was aware of in the 60's had for the most part accepted the expanding universe model.

After some research I did find Fed Hoyle, although greatly attributed to born 1915 describes as a "highly controversial" denier of the big bang theory. Even though in 1910 Vesto Slipher and later, Carl Wilhelm Wirtz, determined that most spiral nebulae (now correctly called spiral galaxies) were receding from Earth

@NoMagicCookie The books I had access to were not quite up to date. The astronomy section of the local library contained a couple of books, so my resources were quite limited. This was around 1974-75 and the books were 20-30 years, or so, old. I was constrained by lack of, or up to date info. I didn't know who to ask or write to for answers and no one stopped in their so busy day to point me in the right direction.
It makes me wonder how many great minds have we lost world wide due to lack of information or societal pressures.

@MacTavish Your local library sounds less then fun.

I was lucky as when I was young I grew up (before your time) with a brilliant friend who was a well-read science geek. He taught me more science then grade school. He later went to Stanford to get his PHD in physics.

Questioning how many great minds are lost is a rather profound.

Brings to mind the so-so movie (they did take some historic liberties) based on Hypatia of Alexandria. The movie is "Agora" I ordered the Blue-ray from Germany (don't sell it in the states) and have screened it many times. It always raises your question. My favorite response from an audience member was "This move just makes me so mad I just want to go slap a Christian and tell them how stupid they are." (wonder why you can't buy the Blue-Ray version in the states??)

@NoMagicCookie Before my time? You got a time machine or did you pinch numbers on your birthday? We are about the same age except I'll go +1 in a few days.

"Before your time" - - I was (mistakenly) assuming you referenced the books when you were in third or forth grade (my understanding of an expanding world supported by my freind and literature in the by the school library) before I reached those grades.

That raw oysters would be slimy and really suck. Then the wonder that is weed, and an incredible case of the munchies, led me to that simple but tasty delight, oysters on the half shell.

That all politicians were honest and good people.

I considered myself a sceptic since 15 but believed in good or bad luck until my forties. I didn't have good luck charms or avoided crossing paths with black cats but ... I don't know what I was thinking. I was too busy being a to trying to figure things out. I wonder if I have any superstitious beliefs right now that I'm not aware of. Now I have time, I read, the only thing that will change my mind is evidence. I have biases. Never liked the string theory especially the branes. Love the Multiverse hypothesis and quantum loop gravity hypothesis. But it is just my likings. Evidence rules. It ruined the most beautiful theories thought up by the smartest people.

I catch myself relying on luck anytime I buy a lottery ticket. It's so ridiculous.

@paul1967 I once asked on a math forum to translate the odds of winning Poweball into coin flips. The anwer I got was flipping a coin and getting 18 tails in a row. Any mathematicians here that can confirm?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:204415
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.