Agnostic.com

18 5

QUESTION Christian Blogger: Yoga Was Designed To Cause A ‘Demonic Trance’ | HuffPost

A Christian blogger is warning those who follow his faith that practicing yoga is like playing with a Ouija board.
“You may perform the moves without consciously seeking the demonic trance they were designed to help you attain, but it would seem you are playing, quite literally, with fire,” Matt Walsh wrote for the Daily Wire.
He repeatedly called yoga a pagan practice.
“I don’t think all yoga practitioners go to Hell,” he wrote. “But neither do I see how a pagan ritual could ever help someone get to Heaven, and maybe that’s reason enough to leave it alone.”
In addition to his blog post, Walsh also railed against yoga on Twitter:

Dougy 7 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I once wrote a paper on the benefits of yoga in the classroom and the biggest roadblock to introducing it into classrooms is the religious objections. Even when every Namaste was taken out, the mere name "yoga" was controversial for the religious right.

Well, since there is neither a literal Heaven nor a literal Hell (not to mention demons of any kind), I guess I'm not too worried about yoga practitioners.

And I'm all for pagan practices. But I doubt I'll ever be able to get my legs behind my head like I've seen some people do.

Wow, that was a revelation. I always thought it was a clever way to separate me from my spine.

I know a Christian who told me of his experience many years ago, in his youth, when he attended some yoga class (more the spiritual side of yoga, not the exercise classes we think of), and he felt something that frightened him while engaging in some aspect of meditation. He spoke to the yogi about it, and claims she said nothing but laughed an "evil little laugh." Uh huh. Whatever.

what a fool! for his punishment he is going to miss out on the serenity and good health that a yoga
habit gifts you.

what a fool! for his punishment he is going to miss out on the serenity and good health that a yoga
habit gifts you.

You double posted this somehow . I hear of people doing that for some reason , not sure why it does that . . . ?

I LOVE yoga. I use controlled breathing that I learned from yoga to calm down frequently. As soon as the grandchildren are old enough to understand I am going to teach them about controlling their breathing, and maybe do yoga with them.

Do you ever think that these bloggers are just hollering about shit to get their readership up?

Wow. A little too pious for my liking. Yoga being demonic is a crock of sh-.

What a load of bollocks, next they'll be saying that dancing raises the devil from his sleep

You mean it doesn't? I thought that I was just doing it wrong!

That's the Blues ????

I tell you what, you start dancing and we'll see if it wakes me. 😉

There must be deamons involved in yoga! It seems like every time I prepare to do yoga I am stressed, frustrated with at least one thing (but usually several things), and contemplating causing physical harm to people. After I've finished shivasina I'm calm and feeling in harmony with the world for just a little while. Anything that can make that level change to a person's mood that does not come from a pharmacy has to be evil magic of the worst sort and should be banned.

Says the the folks who brought you the devil so you could be tempted, led astray and redeemed. Yoga is a great way to strengthen both the muscles and the mind. Its cheap, anybody can do it and nobody needs to contribute a dime to some evangelical scam to benefit from it.

Reminds me of the time I heard a sermon in church in which Transcendental Meditation (TM) was mentioned in a list of "Satanic" practices. After I'd read "The TM Book", which opens with three letters written by high-ranking clergy of varying faiths, all praising the efficacy of TM and outlining how it does not at all conflict with their spiritual beliefs--one of whom was a Lutheran minister. I cringed so hard when I heard that sermon...

Christians often have an irrational fear of any practice that originated from "THE EAST".

The fear is perpetuated by the ministers. It's a great example of tribalism, where they can find an enemy to rally the congregation against.

I heard teachings against yoga and meditation while I was in Pentecost. Pretty silly.

Why would anyone ever want to go to heaven? It’d just be full of people like that. The real party would be in hell.

Should we have another conversation with atheists/agnostics about how religion is harmless and live and let live? Do you really think those who feel they have a "special knowledge of the truth", without an ounce of evidence, will leave you be to live your life as you chose? It is delusional to think there is a neutral ground. Do you really think those who have made up a fantasy, have no intention of convincing others that their fantasy is reality? We either chose to advocate for reason, or we are complicit in continuing the "group delusion". One can't improve reality until they accept reality. I heard someone say atheists don't have any better idea what happens after death than anyone else. Let's be real, there is no evidence that anything happens after we die. We are not making up some fantasy of what happens after death. There is no evidence anything happens, and anecdotal evidence is useless.

@icolan of all the online atheist/agnostic groups I have been on, this one seems the kindest. I've been on some that would get, what I felt, way too ugly in regards to religious people. Being here I find myself in the unusual, and uncomfortable, position of feeling like some of the posts and comments give religion too much of a pass. It was in response to that.

Good grief! Too many whackjobs, not enough strait-jackets.

The Church Of Satan @ChurchofSatan
The Ouija board was designed as a fun party game and only later had "spooky" connotations added. Calling yoga "Hindu worship" is completely ignorant. Matt Walsh is a superstitious buffoon who apparently can't do a google search. [twitter.com]
I know a Christian family that once did yoga. They all spontaneously combusted & their relatives got charred letters that said "We are in hell now; don't yoga."
What’s it like to be this scared of everything dude
My neighbor started doing yoga and then mysteriously my dog died three years later.
My friend sneezed and I said ‘gesundheit’. Now we’re both German. I should have been more careful.
So I'm gonna have to assume your celebration of Christmas doesn't include decorating a tree ????
I don’t know, man. One minute, you’re in downward dog, and the next minute, you’re ambushed by Ouija boards and accidentally become one with the universe. Can’t be too careful these days.

Dougy Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

That is great comment.

LOL!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20597
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.