Agnostic.com

23 1

Immortality?

If you could choose to be immortal, would you? Why or why not?
Edit: 1.You can choose to die whenever you want. It just doesn't happen in the conventional sense that you just deteriorate over time.
2. You have nano technology infected into you to replace all non functional cells with functional ones/synthetic equivalents so that you eventually become an android of sorts, but over the same time period that all the atoms in your body get recycled which is about every 10 years.
3. You could transmit your brain information to other receiving nodes and travel the universe at your pleasure.
4. You live in a post scarcity society so basically star trek universe, but better.
So in short you are an immortal superman, you want for nothing, and everyone around you has the option to be this way as well.

• 18 votes
  • 21 votes
TST_Beaver 4 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can only imagine how nice to see my family and friends. Then as 100 years past I can see all my ancestors, Then another 10000 years go by and well I am tired of this shit, But I have millions of years ahead of the same old stuff. Think how it would be to be eternally attached to this mess. I prefer to see myself as dead and my atoms are the ones that are on the immortal journey, Oh my what new organism will share my atoms. Now that is interesting

EMC2 Level 8 Nov 4, 2018

Yup travel the universe

I have no interest in being around when humanity destroys itself.

I've about had it with this bullshit. I don't want to live forever.

No thanks, seems too wearing

As an editor, I don’t want to spend eternity searching for the missing “M.”

Maybe I’ve seen too many Sci-fi shows on the subject, but living more than 80-100 years sounds misery-inducing unless you’re stinking rich. Also,you didn’t specify how or whether one would age, which makes a significant difference. But outliving all of my friends and relatives repeatedly sounds awful. I’m also betting the planet gets small really fast once you’ve seen all of it. ? Mortality is fine by me, thanks.

Just think, you could live long enough to become the stupidest person alive.

No that sounds pretty terrible.

Yes. Always. Because otherwise I will never have enough time to read every book I want to read, see every movie I want to see, and travel to everywhere I want to go.

Sign me up for immortality!

So something like a religious zealot with his AK or a suicide bomber could still level me in your scenario?

I already am immortal. I'll let you now what it's like as I go along 🙂

Don't know really. Simone de Beauvoir wrote an interesting philosophical novel on the topic, " Immortal Man". It deals with a man that was immortal and his reflections on his many lives. A good read.

Then you will be close to all knowing in 500 years.

All these immortals may cause a population problem. And if all got too much you couldn’t do away with yourself.

May I remind you that space is freaking massive?

@ATbeaver so is the number of immortal beings!

That depends on what would happen to me when the Sun enters the phase where i incinerates the earth, but probably I'd say no.

Carin Level 8 Nov 4, 2018

You'd still be immortal.... but it would not be a pain free existence.

There is a way to stop the sun from going supergiant by lifting the heavier elements out, and turning it into a red dwarf. We can then use that matter to make orbital habitats to house more people or super computers to house cybernetic people.

Really. Why not?

Choice implies free will -- choosing to be immortal. If nothing I did mattered to my life, which would be the case if I was immortal, what would be the basis of any choice? Being mortal allows me to make choices based upon the fact that my choices affect my life. If I were immortal, I couldn't choose to be mortal. If I was immortal, what would be the purpose of my life? Life without purpose is meaningless.

So, yes, I want to be immortal... (is this the Silly, Random & Fun forum?)

Im surprised that some people said no, id give up or do just about anything to live forever, and out of all the forms of imortality potentialy real and ficticiuos i would take routes that allot find disagreeable.

No.
I think that I would just be tired of everything. In thinking that overpopulation is going to cause a lot of problems in the future. There will likely be food shortages, dwindling resources which will result is wars throughout the world.

You sir are thinking too small scale.

I wouldn't have to worry about death or sickness.

Yes, but not because I really want to live literally forever. It's just nice to have options. I'd like to chose the time and means of my final exit, rather than nature choosing it for me.

My problem isn't that I fear death, it's that I'm too damned curious. Is there really an infinite fund of novelty to experience? I seriously doubt it. I give the average human psyche about a 100 year half-life, and doubt anyone in their right mind would want to endure more than a few hundred years of this bullshit we call life. It doesn't have that much to commend itself to us.

However ... as someone working on his 7th decade, and facing the decay of my body and for all I know my mind, I don't feel I'm exiting on my own terms, so ... yeah, I'd take the hypothetical pill that would give me biological immortality. I'd like to see if we can sustain space colonies and if we manage to snuff ourselves out or not. I can always say "fuck it" if I don't like what I see.

Sure, but only if I didn't keep aging - stayed "frozen in time" that way.
Figure it would be an opportunity to learn many languages, travel places, keep going as there would the be ultimate bucket list and all the time to complete it.

Besides thinking how much the US (and the world has changed) from 1700 to 1800 to 1900 to 2000 - would be interesting to get a better sense of the macro trends in society rather than the day-to-day micro-trends.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:215131
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.