Agnostic.com

38 3

Can a moderate have a place in this agnostic site? I am very liberal in some ways, and conservative in others. I am also 1/16 Cherokee. I am am starting to feel I have more in common with the theist.

Leutrelle 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most users on this site are moderates.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 11, 2018

That's what I love about being agnostic... it's a big tent with lots of options. That being said, I personally draw the line with Deepak Chopra. 😉

I call myself a progressive yet I would not support a ban on guns. I am also for the death penalty in cases where there is no doubt of guilt and little likelihood of rehabilitation. I'm talking serial killers and cold blooded murder here, not people convicted on the unreliable eye witness testimony.

I am pro immigration and think the dreamers should stay but I also think immigrants need to learn English

I support health care for all, affordable higher education, most social programs although I think soda, chips, candy etc should not be permitted on EBT but toilet paper and fem hygiene should.

Pro choice, pro equal rights, pro marijuana

I am not so sure that businesses should pay an 80% tax as much as the loopholes that allow them to pay NO tax should be closed. If they do business here, they need to be taxed here

I'm sure I will think of the rest after hitting submit but you get the idea.

I agree with a lot of this -- except the death penalty. You have a really good point about toilet paper and tampons. I agree that those necessities should be part of EBT. But, not allowed soda, chips, candy, etc.......I'm not crazy about that. I'd have to give it a lot more thought, but I think it's demoralizing enough to need the help, but then to have society be your dietician. These are top of my head thoughts. Not fully-considered. Interesting.

@BlueWave I was on food stamps as a child and those things were not permitted. because they were not healthy. They can still have candy and chips but must pay for them with their paycheck. Those unhealthy eating habits are costing us way too much money since people on food stamps are often on Medicade as well and their food related health issues impact all of society

Anyone can have a place in Agnostic. It is open for discussion. Hopefully it will open your mind to other points of view. You will not be well received if you are here to proselytize however, but have a go at it at your peril.

I'm agnostic, just politicly center.

@Leutrelle You state that you have more in common with theist so I assume that you are agnostic theist and that is perfectly acceptable.

@jlynn37 Politicly I have more in common with a theist. I did not write the question well. I with I could have a do over🙂

@Leutrelle No problem at all my friend and welcome to Agnostic

If your socio-political stance comes from intellect and reason, rather than from a religious perspective, then people here will be willing to listen to and ,possibly, debate with you on your views. But if you quote some holy scripture as your reason for feeling a certain way or doing a certain thing, this may not be the place for you. People are people wherever you go, so you're going to meet plenty of dicks here, just like anywhere. Also, no matter where you go, you have to have the strength to stand up for your convictions because there are always people out there who will rabidly, violently disagree with you... just ask any atheist who told a group of Believers that he/she didn9believe that gods were real. We get attacked all the time. This place should be a safe place for Doubters and Non-believers. Is that you? If so, stick around. Make some coffee. Read some posts and see what people are thinking. Engage in the conversation... just like this one here 😉

Ya I am a doubter, which defines as agnostic.

I would say it all depends on the issues you are "conservative" on.

everyone is welcome

I'm a Libertarian. Glad you have joined the group.

BD66 Level 8 Feb 10, 2018

Guess it is pretty much up to you. I consider myself to be a moderate or more to the center. In politics want us to operate in the middle. Don't want either party controlling, more of we are in this together than the us and them. I am economically conservative, and operate on a tight budget. No deficit spending. I am socially liberal, don't want to be bedroom police. Live and let live, just don't mess up my or our space. Consider myself atheist and a humanist. I don't hold too tightly to definitions. It is not black or white, but many shades of grey. I have not been attacked on any of my comments. Like to share my view, and glad to listen to other views. Am a work in progress, and willing to change my mind, as don't know everything.

I tend to be a-political in my views. In that I see the hypocrisy and humbug emanating from both sides. Although this site is largely US based it has members range from all over the world. Whilst it true that us heathens tend to via towards the left, I have met some Trump supporters here too.

Ok. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll try to tone it down some. Most of my conservative friends are blatantly outspoken Catholics/Evangelists or if they are not outspoken they are quiet Christians. We are in uncharted territory here.

I’ve felt that way also sometimes as I’m very conservative when it comes to politics and a strong Trump supporter. I couldn’t stand that arrogant bastard Obama.

I'm interested in knowing from you (and maybe you can speak for other Trump supporters as well) how such avid support can be given to someone who has displayed such grossly unbecoming behaviour. As an intelligent person, I'm sure I don't need to list for you the hundreds of displays of misogyny, racism, immature egoism, stretching the truth, and just blatant lying.

These are not false accusations leveled by media trying to broadcast "fake news", but rather are incident upon incident documented on film and audio for anyone's review; there's no misinterpretation or re-contextualizing these displays - it's all in black and white so to speak.

Is it that he's the best that America can come up with? Is it that you'll simply back any republican, no matter the person? I'm truly curious.

@Hominid If Obama couldn’t couldn’t get congress to go along with him he just went around congress with executive orders and EPA regulations often illegally. Trump has undone a lot of Obama’s stupid regulations. In my community here in western Oklahoma people were so disgusted with the Democrats that Trump carried 87% of the vote and carried all 77 of the counties in Oklahoma, my Home state. Seeing as your Canadian why are you so concerned about Trump. You should be more concerned about getting rid of that liberal idiot Trudeau.

Thank you @Trajan61, I've heard all I need to...

Which theist? anyway, we're all different. the only thing we have in common is that we don't believe there are any gods or we believe there are no gods. everything else is just the normal variation one might find among theists, atheists or whomever. what is it you think you have in common with theists, and do theists all have it in common with each other?

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22708
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.